Pink Floyd - "Animals" 5.1 Surround Sound Mix (Blu-Ray & SACD editions out in September 2022!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FINALLY got around to a proper 5.1 session this evening. My GF is also a huge fan of the album and joined me on the couch. I was moved to tears a couple times. It's just so wonderful having this masterpiece sound so good. I thought the surround elements were well done and were not gimmicky, which would have been easy to fall victim with synths and layers of guitars on most tracks. She was most impressed with the clarity of the vocals. Easy 10/10 for me.

There are 2 or 3 places in Dogs where there is a ridiculously low and powerful bass note - not sure if it is bass guitar or synth/Moog. Anyway, I had never heard it like this before and I friggin' love it. EDIT: Apparently it is a bass pedal making that sound, according to other posts in this and the poll thread.
I listened to the hi-res stereo version yesterday (steamed via Qobuz, waiting for the BluRay in the box set...), and I thoroughly agree - fantastic!! :)
I've been listening to this album (one of my favourites) since the mid-80s, and FINALLY, it sounds like it should have always been! :)

Maybe he just got better at it and more confident in his decisions from experience gained in the interim. He wouldn't be very good at his job if he got worse the more he did it. ;)
Don't forget, the mixer ultimately has to get approval from (in this case) BOTH Roger AND Dave, before the mix can be released. It is possible that they didn't like/want the more adventourous DSOTM version that we didn't get. There was an interview with Roger some time back explaining the process of JG doing the AMTD mix and then presenting it to Roger for thoughts/comments/suggestions/tweaks. The artist gets the final say, not the mixer!

I have only heard the pre-1990 quad mixes that have found their way to digital optical discs. The one observation that I have made (and it may be right or it maybe wrong) is that those original quad mixes tried to be adventurous with no worry of being labeled "gimmicky" (whatever that means). Now it seems like that is always a concern when producing a modern day mix. They actually wanted to "wow" you and make your head spin when Quad was originally marketed, that's the only way they could make people who were apt to buy the equipment feel they were really getting something special for the extra investment.

I'll take a head spinning, "gimmcky" more adventurous old QUAD or new 5.1 mix over a dull "a few noises in the rears every once in a while" mix. I don't need a modern mix of a 40+ year old recording. Look what they did to the CTA remix!! LMAO

No point of doing it if yer not not gonna make it special.

Last edited:
I have only heard the pre-1990 quad mixes that have found their way to digital optical discs. The one observation that I have made (and it may be right or it maybe wrong) is that those original quad mixes tried to be adventurous with no worry of being labeled "gimmicky" (whatever that means). Now it seems like that is always a concern when producing a modern day mix. They actually wanted to "wow" you and make your head spin when Quad was originally marketed, that's the only way they could make people who were apt to buy the equipment feel they were really getting something special for the extra investment.
I agree with you but the Blu ray Quad 4.0 surround mix in the Immersion box set of DSotM is one of the best surround mixes I have ever heard. I would definitely want to hear a Pink Floyd Animals 5.1 mix sound like that!

I'll take a head spinning, "gimmcky" more adventurous old QUAD or new 5.1 mix over a dull "a few noises in the rears every once in a while" mix. I don't need a modern mix of a 40+ year old recording. Look what they dig to the CTA remix!! LMAO

No point of doing it if yer not not gonna make it special.
Does it have to be only one or the other? Santana Abraxas panning goes overboard in the quad mix. The 5.1 mixes of DSOTM and WYWH don't go nearly far enough with discrete instrumentation in the rears. I like the happy medium reached in this new Animals mix.

I agree with you but the Blu ray Quad 4.0 surround mix in the Immersion box set of DSotM is one of the best surround mixes I have ever heard. I would definitely want to hear a Pink Floyd Animals 5.1 mix sound like that!
The mixes are great on those Floyd quad's, but the sound quality compared to any of the Floyd 5.1's, is lacking. I would love to see a new remaster job on the quad's with total attention to detail they deserve. Revisiting the multi-tracks for a more discrete Atmos mix would also be great!

Does it have to be only one or the other? Santana Abraxas panning goes overboard in the quad mix. The 5.1 mixes of DSOTM and WYWH don't go nearly far enough with discrete instrumentation in the rears. I like the happy medium reached in this new Animals mix.
I prefer the original QUAD mixes of DSOTM and WYWH over the 5.1's, they were too conservative.

I love "Shine On..." and "Have A Cigar" on the quad, but "Welcome To The Machine" is a bit of a mess with the overloud acoustic guitars in the rears and "Wish You Were" is almost completely missing the slide solos.
DSOTM is certainly a better mix all around. Both could certainly use a remaster as I mentioned before.

Back