Pink Floyd - "Animals" 5.1 Surround Sound Mix (Blu-Ray & SACD editions out in September 2022!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Snood .... I attempted to zoom in on the second BD photo on the Amazon site, but my old MBP isn't able to magnify the photo very well. Regardless, I can make out "5.1 Surround," so the blu-ray version looks like it's good to go.

I'm not a big Waters fan, quite honestly, but this album had a lot more Gilmour in it than some of the others, which is what makes it special to me. (y)

Another waiting for best options for the SACD within the UK. Whether any more retailers pick it up remains to be seen, but yes the diversevinyl option mentioned on the previous page is looking like the best option. I'm still hanging fire for now.

I have been trying to nail down whether or not a quad mix of Animals was actually made in 1977. From everything I've read, I accept a quad version was never released on any format. However, I came across the following comments in a thread from 2012:

Oct 24 2012 - Q-Eight:
Animals was once upon a time mentioned in a Schwann's catalog (I think it was Schwann's) and was even given the catalog number of CAQ-34474 but the LP or 8-track never appeared.

Oct 24 2012 - oxforddickie:
I suspect that there could be a quad mix of Animals as there it was officially announced as a release (Q4 SHVL 815). I saw it on the release sheet at my local W.H.Smiths, and it was ordered that day, but was put back for a couple of months until it was cancelled.

It was at this time the non-classical parts of EMI cancelled any further quad releases, so there's a fair chance the quad mix does in fact exist.

Pink Floyd "Animals" Quad Reel. Did anybody here scoop it?

So it seems a quad release of Animals was planned at least. But was the quad mix produced and then the release got cancelled? Or was the plug pulled before the mix was even created? If a '77 quad mix really did exist, I would have hoped to see it in the upcoming boxset. However, there is no mention of a quad mix.

Sorry if this has already been answered - I did not go back through all 90+ pages of this thread!

I remember speaking with the dude who ran the 'Sound Concepts' mail order quadraphonic business. He had a lot of connections because he moved a LOT of quad back in the mid-'70s, including cut-outs and old stock (I am sure you've seen scans of those catalogs)

Anyway, while phoning in an order, I asked him if anything new was coming soon. We still were not to the point of quad being dead, this was probably 76 or 77. Anyway, he mentioned that he spoke with the CBS/Columbia folks and that Animals was the next big title from them. He was pretty stoked about it, as was I.

But although word was spreading around the small quad pre-internet community, I do not think that Animals actually made it to a quad mix. Somewhere along the way, Columbia stopped putting money into quad and it just went away. No announcement, no goodbye. They, like every other label, just plain stopped.

We waited for that CD-4 of Hotel California for decades

But although word was spreading around the small quad pre-internet community, I do not think that Animals actually made it to a quad mix. Somewhere along the way, Columbia stopped putting money into quad and it just went away.
I heard pretty much the same. Scheduled as a release but never produced.

Anyway, he mentioned that he spoke with the CBS/Columbia folks and that Animals was the next big title from them.
Wouldn't Animals have been released on EMI/Capitol/Harvest at that time? I believe the first Pink Floyd record released by Columbia was A Momentary Lapse of Reason.

EDIT: My mistake. Wish You Were Here was the first on Columbia in the U.S.

I would think that if a '77 quad mix did exist, Pink Floyd, label and whom ever would not hesitate at all to include it as I would think that would increase potential sales somewhat (IMO).
Unless of course they didnt like it, or even worse, couldn't agree on releasing it.

The inclusion of the Dark Side and WYWH quads on the bluray immersion sets were versions that had already been released in the quadraphonic heyday of the 70s. If they were never released in the 70s, I'm not so sure they would have been included in the immersion sets either.

Unless of course they didnt like it, or even worse, couldn't agree on releasing it.

The inclusion of the Dark Side and WYWH quads on the bluray immersion sets were versions that had already been released in the quadraphonic heyday of the 70s. If they were never released in the 70s, I'm not so sure they would have been included in the immersion sets either.
The quad mix of "Echoes" was released in the Early Years Box Set despite it never being officially released in the early 1970s.

I suspect an Animals Quad Mix was never produced.

Back