Queen Rock Montreal + Live Aid 4K Ultra HD Edition on May 10!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
THE best example of pluperfect RBCDs, IMO, have been, hands down, JVC and FIM's 24/32 bit remastered XRCD series of discs. You'd swear you're hearing at a minimum 24 bit remasters! Of course they come at a premium but I was able to get about 2 dozen at greatly reduced prices.

Since all my systems consist of separate components, the majority of RBCDs just don't have the absolute 'zing'of JVC's XRCDs!
I have a bunch of the FIM & TBM discs. Not sure how many are XRCD though.

I have a bunch of the FIM & TBM discs. Not sure how many are XRCD though.
I should've specified that XRCD is usually JVC's moniker. The FIM series usually tote 99.9% pure silver discs as their 'calling card' for superior sonics! Elusive Disc usually blows out these discs for $15 and even LESS] during their blow out sales ...... Music Direct and Acoustic sounds never have the deals ED has!

I should've specified that XRCD is usually JVC's moniker. The FIM series usually tote 99.9% pure silver discs as their 'calling card' for superior sonics! Elusive Disc usually blows out these discs for $15 and even LESS] during their blow out sales ...... Music Direct and Acoustic sounds never have the deals ED has!
Sounds right. I have a pretty big collection of Japanese discs and I lose track of things. I only have about 10 or 15 that are surround, but in the stereo there is a mix of XRCD discs. Honestly I don't listen to them often, just like the other 2000 or so discs I have there's only so much time.

I should have said only 10 - 15 Surround SACD japanese. I have more in DVDA.

Just seen this is streaming on Disney+. From what I’m seeing / hearing it’s actually really good! Will be even better in the Blu-Ray. Quite an adventurous mix for a live concert - plenty of great Roger Taylor drum pans and other stuff seem to go to the rear channels. Seems like a winner - what a fantastic band! 🎤

Disney Plus is streaming in DTS:X - but only for the few who have a streaming box which will decode DTS:X. Not my Appletv4ks. On which it does play in Dolby Atmos, like the 4k disc that I have.

Just seen this is streaming on Disney+. From what I’m seeing / hearing it’s actually really good! Will be even better in the Blu-Ray. Quite an adventurous mix for a live concert - plenty of great Roger Taylor drum pans and other stuff seem to go to the rear channels. Seems like a winner - what a fantastic band! 🎤
This always was an adventurous mix in 5.1 on the DTS DVD 20 years or more ago. All the Queen 5.1 mixes are pretty adventurous, and I believe I have them all.

I was able to clone disc 1 no problems. Disc 2 froze at 28%. I restarted it and it ripped fairly quick.
Haven't played the physical discs, don't have a 4K disc player, but I've played both discs, skipping from song to song on the pc from the .iso rips. I didn't see any problems but a proper viewing and listen will come.
Well actually disc 2 is messed up. I thought I had played disc 2 but I guess not. It's got viewable defects on the disc that won't wipe off.

Does anyone have the NEW standard Blu-Ray release and can comment on whether or not there are problems with that version as well? I'm thinking on ordering the new standard Blu-Ray as an upgrade to the old 2007 version while they sort this mess out with the 4K UHD.

Does anyone have the NEW standard Blu-Ray release and can comment on whether or not there are problems with that version as well? I'm thinking on ordering the new standard Blu-Ray as an upgrade to the old 2007 version while they sort this mess out with the 4K UHD.
The menus work on both discs of the BD on my Oppo 203 and 95, but then the menus work on both 4K discs for me. Haven't had chance to play all the discs yet.

I just streamed this on Disney + in 4K. It gave me the choice between widescreen and IMAX. I went with the IMAX version and I have to say it looked spectacular, especially on close-ups. Like it was filmed yesterday. The Atmos mix was really good too except I found I had to crank the volume WAY up to get it to where I wanted it. Like 20 db up. I’ve never had to do that before and I’m not sure why that was. Question, does the disc version let you choose the IMAX version, and are there volume issues?

I just streamed this on Disney + in 4K. It gave me the choice between widescreen and IMAX. I went with the IMAX version and I have to say it looked spectacular, especially on close-ups. Like it was filmed yesterday. The Atmos mix was really good too except I found I had to crank the volume WAY up to get it to where I wanted it. Like 20 db up. I’ve never had to do that before and I’m not sure why that was. Question, does the disc version let you choose the IMAX version, and are there volume issues?
This was filmed on 35mm in full frame 4:3 aspect ratio. It was not filmed for IMAX so I don't know what Disney+ count as IMAX for this, but it ain't true IMAX. The full frame version of this in 4K blu ray should show everything the 35mm negatives contain. You can also watch the widescreen version in 4K blu ray which is cropped.

This was filmed on 35mm in full frame 4:3 aspect ratio. It was not filmed for IMAX so I don't know what Disney+ count as IMAX for this, but it ain't true IMAX. The full frame version of this in 4K blu ray should show everything the 35mm negatives contain. You can also watch the widescreen version in 4K blu ray which is cropped.
You are technically correct - here is the marketing for it:

IMAX presents QUEEN ROCK MONTREAL – digitally re-mastered for the first time into the image and sound quality of The IMAX Experience®️, including 12-channel surround sound and crystal-clear images. Experience rock & roll royalty with Freddie Mercury, Brian May, Roger Taylor, and John Deacon as they take to the stage in an historic and exhilarating live concert from 1981. One of the world’s most iconic rock bands performs an unforgettable setlist of their greatest hits including “We Will Rock You,” “Somebody To Love,” “Under Pressure,” Bohemian Rhapsody,” “Another One Bites the Dust,” and “We Are The Champions.” This is Queen like you’ve never seen before in a larger-than-life, front row concert experience – only in IMAX.

https://www.queeninimax.com/

Poster for Queen Rock Montreal

So it's been nearly two weeks since I first contacted Universal UK about disc 2 in the Queen - Rock Montreal + Live Aid 4K being unplayable (also unrippable).
Subsequent contacts always get the same response "it's been passed on to the relevant team and I have no further information".
I showed them there are physical blemishes on the disc.

I asked for a refund if they are not going to replace the disc.
Crickets.
They must have one hell of a "team" at UN/UK.

This is really a shame I was hoping to tune in back to this thread so to speak and find out some positive development. I'd like the product too but not with such widespread manufacturing defects. For such a prominent band this is embarrassing and ridiculous.

Last edited:
Looks like a disc replacement programme is in the pipeline as I just received this message:

We are sorry to hear about the playback issues you are encountering with the Queen Rock Montreal + Live Aid 4K UHD disc, and apologise for the delays getting back to you while we have been resolving the issue.

We have manufactured new discs that we can send to replace the ones that have not been able to play correctly. It will be a couple of weeks before the new discs are delivered to us, but we’ll get back to you with shipping confirmation as soon as we receive them.

Please reply to this email with:

1. Your address
  2. A photo of the problematic disc(s)
You will not need to return the old discs, and we will send the new ones to you as soon as possible.

Again, we apologise for the issues you are having with the release and any frustration this has caused.

Mercury Studios

If anyone on here wants to get in touch, the email address is: [email protected] (yes, that email ending .co is correct)

I would like to hear how this goes hopefully successfully for anyone who participates. I had held off purchasing it after hearing everyone talk about the errors. This makes it sound like instead of recalling all the defective merchandise and replacing it with a new pressing, they're just going to leave them in place and you'll have to buy it and send away for one in the limited time they're offering replacements. Is that correct?

Trouble now is I need to watch all 4 of my discs in all formats to see if they are OK. That could take ages.

Can someone post a photo of the faulty disc surfaces so I can visually check my discs for the same flaws?

Looks like a disc replacement programme is in the pipeline as I just received this message:

We are sorry to hear about the playback issues you are encountering with the Queen Rock Montreal + Live Aid 4K UHD disc, and apologise for the delays getting back to you while we have been resolving the issue.

We have manufactured new discs that we can send to replace the ones that have not been able to play correctly. It will be a couple of weeks before the new discs are delivered to us, but we’ll get back to you with shipping confirmation as soon as we receive them.

Please reply to this email with:

1. Your address
  2. A photo of the problematic disc(s)
You will not need to return the old discs, and we will send the new ones to you as soon as possible.

Again, we apologise for the issues you are having with the release and any frustration this has caused.

Mercury Studios

If anyone on here wants to get in touch, the email address is: [email protected] (yes, that email ending .co is correct)
I've emailed them probably 3 times, sent a pic, and heard nothing back since.

Trouble now is I need to watch all 4 of my discs in all formats to see if they are OK. That could take ages.

Can someone post a photo of the faulty disc surfaces so I can visually check my discs for the same flaws?
Owen I have deleted the photo I think, but my disc had visible "scarring" showing as very small shiny lines running longitudinally.

Back