Santana's "Caravanserai" on Hybrid Multichannel SACD in 7" Mini-LP Packaging!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is this likely to show up for sale on other channels like Amazon? Shipping costs are kind of off-putting but it's still one of my favorite albums of all time.
The last couple of releases, unlike most of the pre-pandemic ones, never made it to ImportCDs/Deep Discount (or, as far as I know, to Amazon US)--although there was a Japanese eBay seller with a "store" based in Canada who may have had a dozen or so copies for sale early on. I think Amazon.jp eventually carried the last two titles, but their shipping charges to the US were no cheaper than CDJapan's. Until Japan Post ends its puzzling suspension of airmail to the United States, our options seem to be limited.

The last couple of releases, unlike most of the pre-pandemic ones, never made it to ImportCDs/Deep Discount (or, as far as I know, to Amazon US)--although there was a Japanese eBay seller with a "store" based in Canada who may have had a dozen or so copies for sale early on. I think Amazon.jp eventually carried the last two titles, but their shipping charges to the US were no cheaper than CDJapan's. Until Japan Post ends its puzzling suspension of airmail to the United States, our options seem to be limited.
Kind of what I feared. The airmail thing is kind of baffling. They had an option to order with airmail shipping that would happen when the ban is lifted.
I already have the SACD but *sigh* I am at a point in life where delayed gratification has no appeal.

Kind of what I feared. The airmail thing is kind of baffling. They had an option to order with airmail shipping that would happen when the ban is lifted.
I already have the SACD but *sigh* I am at a point in life where delayed gratification has no appeal.
And Abraxas in quad fell into my cart before I was done ordering. Spreads the shipping out a little :)

I bought the last two from amazon.co.jp, and I hope they will carry this one too. Here in Norway we have to pay VAT on anything from abroad, and I have no problem with that, but we also have to pay a $15 handling fee. :confused: The amazon shops do the VAT handling for the Norwegian tax agency, and then I pay only VAT, no handling fee.:cool:

I too am a very casual Santana fan. I've never listened to this album. When I do, I will tell you what I think of it.

One thing I am sure of, listening to music on YouTurd to see if one likes an album provides a very poor impression of what a work will sound like in glorious high-resolution, well-mastered quadraphonic sound.
If you have never heard a good sounding YouTube audio clip, you are looking in the wrong places. There are some great vinyl rips of old albums with tons of dynamic range, many of them in mono. There are plenty of well mastered audio on there. Trying to steer someone away from there for simply trying to get an idea of how an album sounds is totally ridiculous.

Air mail shipping is suspended to the UK too, it's not just USA.

I ended up ordering Abraxas and Santana III as well as Caravanserai because the delivery charges came out the same for 1, 2 or 3 items. As soon as I added a 4th it went up a lot so I called it quits at 3. I went with DHL because to the UK it was quite a bit cheaper than the other options. There will no doubt be a handling charge added by DHL to collect the customs and VAT, so ordering 3 discs at once makes sense there as well since the handling charge is a flat fee.

Grrrr I guess the wait will be too long for the next Santana reissue to share shipping on and I do want this. Already bought the earlier Santanas and both Mile's Davis and Birds of Fire....
Maybe I should just fly there myself to pick it up with some fresh sushi to bring home.....

Last edited:
Too bad that we have to pay this extra money for the duty in Canada when ordered by couriers.
Yes, I wonder why they aren't doing regular air mail right now from Japan, Covid is mostly over. I was recently dinged on a FedEx package from the US. No duty but GST and their outrageous handling fee! The post office charges GST/duty as well, but usually most packages just scoot straight through.

These discs are worth the price anyway!

Yes, I wonder why they aren't doing regular air mail right now from Japan, Covid is mostly over. I was recently dinged on a FedEx package from the US. No duty but GST and their outrageous handling fee! The post office charges GST/duty as well, but usually most packages just scoot straight through.

These discs are worth the price anyway!
they only just reopened their borders to people in the last few weeks! 🤯😅

If you have never heard a good sounding YouTube audio clip, you are looking in the wrong places. There are some great vinyl rips of old albums with tons of dynamic range, many of them in mono. There are plenty of well mastered audio on there. Trying to steer someone away from there for simply trying to get an idea of how an album sounds is totally ridiculous.
I would enjoy hearing an example of material posted on YouTube that sounds as good as what you describe...standard YouTube bandwidth, not the higher bandwidth which costs money…of any title currently available on a DV quad.

Nothing I’ve ever heard on YouTube compared to that on a DV high-resolution quad.

I stand by my position. The current dirt cheap price of a DV quad at about $9 an album (including shipping) affords one the opportunity to delve into material one may find much more appealing than presented over YouTube…and even a redbook CD. I could make an extensive list of DV quad artists and albums I’ve bought for which the stereo versions never compelled me to make a purchase.

While I don't normally like to listen to YouTube (I guess that I'm an "elitist" turning up my nose at compressed audio) I do agree that it is a great place to sample old albums. Many of the rips do sound great as well. I'm often turned off by the video, the "Dancing Troll" for one!

Back