Tears for Fears-Songs From The Big Chair - HiRez 5.1!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The 2-disc Deluxe Edition in your first three links has Demo's & live tracks on disc 2, no 5.1 as far as I know.
There was talk of a standalone HFPA Blu-ray but not seen any concrete info for it yet.

View attachment 16191

The box set shot. I don't see anything specifically relating to DVDA or Blu-Ray in the picture, but they must be coming in this set (or outside of it).

It's the 2nd card sleeve from the left called "Remixed" which has the 5.1 in it. If what I'm hearing is correct the box set has a DVD-A and there will be a separate BD-A

I cannot begin to describe how excited I am by this!!

SFTBC was a milestone album for me personally. It sound-tracked a particularly formative and special year in my teenage life. The songs, their lyrics and music spoke to me and resonated completely. I'd been a fan since The Hurting, but this album took their songwriting to another level, and their use of the Fairlight, an instrument that, to this day, is equally important to me, was massively influential to me as a musician. So much so that I currently have Ian Stanley's Fairlight Series III here in my studio. He purchased this right after SFTBC, possibly with his share of the proceeds, and this machine was used in the early sessions for the subsequent TFF album, The Seeds of Love, as well as his side project with Roland, Mancrab.

But to have this album in 5.1, and to have it mixed by the master himself, well... I'm just positively ecstatic! It's great to hear classic albums revitalised by expertly crafted 5.1 mixes, but one that is so deeply personal to me is going to be a real treat, and to say I am envious of those who have been fortunate enough to beta test it is quite the understatement.

With regards to the content, I'm imagining that Universal will want to squeeze as much out of us as possible, and if the Amazon pre-order price is anything to go by, and the way they packaged The Hurting, the 6 disc box set will be devoid of the Blu Ray. Whilst I can handle DVD-A, I'd rather have the Blu Ray for the 5.1. One doubts very much that Universal would package all audio and video content on to a single Blu Ray because, you know, that just wouldn't be the done thing, now would it :rolleyes: So, I can see me making a £50+ investment in the box and Blu Ray.

November 4th cannot come soon enough. I am apoplectic with excitement for this, more than any other 5.1 release I care to mention.

The 2-disc Deluxe Edition in your first three links has Demo's & live tracks on disc 2, no 5.1 as far as I know.
There was talk of a standalone HFPA Blu-ray but not seen any concrete info for it yet.

There is a standalone blu ray BUT the big question is whether it's in 5.1...HERE HERE

Check out the description of the various versions HERE

I'm getting the feeling that to get the surround version we might have to get the 6 disc set..Jon mentioned the surround was on a DVD..and that appears to be only available in the box set....I hope I'm wrong...the standalone blu ray just seems too good to be true...I'll do it...but I'll hold my nose during the process

There is a standalone blu ray BUT the big question is whether it's in 5.1...HERE HERE

Check out the description of the various versions HERE

I'm getting the feeling that to get the surround version we might have to get the 6 disc set..Jon mentioned the surround was on a DVD..and that appears to be only available in the box set....I hope I'm wrong...the standalone blu ray just seems too good to be true...I'll do it...but I'll hold my nose during the process

I see no reason why the 5.1 mix should not be included.

Well let's not get our knickers in a twist over it, one way or another a brilliant mix of a brilliant album will soon be available, even if it's in a box set at least it won't be a gigantic overpriced box stuffed with superfluous scarves and marbles!

Well let's not get our knickers in a twist over it, one way or another a brilliant mix of a brilliant album will soon be available, even if it's in a box set at least it won't be a gigantic overpriced box stuffed with superfluous scarves and marbles!

I'm not upset...just curious...and yes I will buy it even if it's in a box set:)..I don't think anybody on the thread is really mad...just discussing the possible combinations...I must admit I was thrilled at the prospect of a HFPA disc with Steven Wilson's work on it...just opens up all sort of projects in the future...

Well, I pre-ordered the box, whether it includes the 5.1 Blu Ray mix or not. If it's as good as The Hurting box, it'll be worth the £36 Amazon UK are currently asking. If SFTBC comes on HFPA, I'll be slightly compelled to get The Hurting HFPA, if only to satisfy my OCD. Such a shame that didn't get the 5.1 treatment.

So, what are the chances of Seeds of Love getting a similar job in a few years? That'd be nice :)

But right now, I'm still as giddy as a schoolgirl over the SFTBC release. I shall be wishing October away :banana:

I was pretty much (perhaps snobbishly) ignoring pop music in the mid 80's save a handful of acts (XTC, Elvis Costello most notably) so this LP did not have an impact on me at the time. Still it was hard to avoid the hits! Anyway, I've brought out the wife's copy and am listening with fresh ears. Some interesting stuff to be sure with great 5.1 potential. I will probably go for the blu-ray.

PS I've always thought XTC must have been influenced by "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" in their arrangement of "King for a Day".

PS I've always thought XTC must have been influenced by "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" in their arrangement of "King for a Day".

Yeah I guess I can kinda hear TFF in 'King for a Day' but I REALLY hear it on 'The Disappointed', so much so that I always thought that track was a carbon copy of TFF.

Woman in chains sounds great in Dolby pro logic. That would be nice to have the surround treatment. Just saying. Nov 4th is my birthday too!

From Tapatalk

Yeah I guess I can kinda hear TFF in 'King for a Day' but I REALLY hear it on 'The Disappointed', so much so that I always thought that track was a carbon copy of TFF.

Yep. All three have that nifty '3 against 2' groove. Perhaps the 80's answer to the Purdie shuffle?

In the mediocrity that defined the music scene of the 80's, TFF was one of the true bright spots. I am looking forward to this release very much.

The thing you all have to keep in mind is that people like Steven Wilson and Neil Wilkes are the good guys. They create and produce the 5.1 mix, which is the important part. They have no control at all what happens to that product once it is completed.

I would wager that if you asked Steven, and I know that if you asked Neil, they would want these mixes out to the public in a stand alone or CD+ package without a huge price tag if it were up to them.

When a title like the EL&P is relegated to an expensive box set, it only means that fewer people will get to hear the results of their work.

I have not heard from Neil how the Tears for Fears surround mix will be released, in what format and what retail options. Funny thing is, they may not even know yet. All I can say is that the 5.1 mix is killer on the DVD-A that I tested, and I am sure that whoever purchases it, no matter what the retail option, will be pleased and glad they got the recording.

As for scarves, marbles, booklets, posters, and anything else that may come with it, well, that's a totally different story! :)

Back