The Doors catalog available now in Dolby Atmos!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These are really very good mixes, even The Doors first album has music elements in all channels and the fidelity is very good all over. This the the best way to start the weekend, I think. :cool:
OK, screw it. I'm supposed to be working, but I'm gonna fire up the appletv and give Doors a go.

The Doors mixes are awesome, even the debut. However, I think they are basically four channel mixes - left-center-front plus either ceiling or rear. Usually ceiling. Don't have to crank the volume to get to normal listening levels. I'm not left with the feeling that I want the bluray instead,

These are really very good mixes, even The Doors first album has music elements in all channels and the fidelity is very good all over. This the the best way to start the weekend, I think. :cool:

Listening to a couple of tracks from The Doors (first album) and a few others, I have no idea what you are talking about. The rear channels have very weak ambience/echo effects. I'll try to listen to some of the specific ones people have said are good, but this is weak echo chamber stuff on what I've listened to so far.

Listening to a couple of tracks from The Doors (first album) and a few others, I have no idea what you are talking about. The rear channels have very weak ambience/echo effects. I'll try to listen to some of the specific ones people have said are good, but this is weak echo chamber stuff on what I've listened to so far.

I think the ceiling/rear is discrete, but it's only one channel's worth. The first is the worst, but my old SACD of the debut is basically stereo so I can't complain.

Same! Very disapointed in the mix for the first album. One of the great debut albums and one of my favorites. I'm going back to the DTS upmix that someone left lying around---- spectacular!!!. The DVD-Audio/SACD mix was bad enough. The Neo 6 decode from the 50th anniversary stereo edition has better dynamic range and better discrete surround than this. I've heard all the excuses re sources etc. What baffles me is that the Surround Mix of 'The End' on The Laserdisc, DVD and Blu-Ray of 'Apocalypse Now' is one of the great surround movie demos going back 25 years. The first couple of almost mono tracks on 'The Beatles' 'One' outshine this. I'll try on my Airpods and hope for better (as was the case for 'One').

As for the others, I have only had one listen but 'Strange Days' ,'Waiting For The Sun' and 'LA Woman' all seem an improvment on the DVD-A/SACD's. The other two, I'll have to listen some more.

I'll give 'The Doors 1st' another try later on with much lower expectations.

Very disapointed in the mix for the first album. One of the great debut albums and one of my favorites. I'm going back to the DTS upmix that someone left lying around---- spectacular!!!. The DVD-Audio/SACD mix was bad enough. The Neo 6 decode from the 50th anniversary stereo edition has better dynamic range and better discrete surround than this. I've heard all the excuses re sources etc.
As I'm sure you already know, the first album was recorded on a 4-track machine (presumably with no reduction mixes). Bruce Botnick mentioned in an old S&V interview that all songs except "The End" have Robby Kreiger's guitar & John Densmore's drums sharing one mono track on the 4-track master.

Botnick's approach for the 5.1 remix was basically to re-create the stereo soundstage upfront with Morrison's vocal isolated in the center speaker and some reverb in the rears. The '70s quad mixes of the debut tracks on the Best Of compilation are quite a bit different, they instead opted to fill out all four corners by placing instruments in the left & right phantom centers with the vocal only in the fronts. It's still essentially an L-C-R mix like the newer 5.1, but the left information is in FL & RL and right information in FR & RR.

I didn't say the music element was loud, but they definitely are there on my 7.2.4 setup. ;)

Last edited:
Same! Very disapointed in the mix for the first album. One of the great debut albums and one of my favorites. I'm going back to the DTS upmix that someone left lying around---- spectacular!!!. The DVD-Audio/SACD mix was bad enough. The Neo 6 decode from the 50th anniversary stereo edition has better dynamic range and better discrete surround than this. I've heard all the excuses re sources etc. What baffles me is that the Surround Mix of 'The End' on The Laserdisc, DVD and Blu-Ray of 'Apocalypse Now' is one of the great surround movie demos going back 25 years. The first couple of almost mono tracks on 'The Beatles' 'One' outshine this. I'll try on my Airpods and hope for better (as was the case for 'One').

As for the others, I have only had one listen but 'Strange Days' ,'Waiting For The Sun' and 'LA Woman' all seem an improvment on the DVD-A/SACD's. The other two, I'll have to listen some more.

I'll give 'The Doors 1st' another try later on with much lower expectations.

Fully agree. Many tracks - not all - sound like those conservative jazz Atmos renditions (a vague reverb of bass frequencies in the rears). I guess this is what the “hall” setting sounded like in the olden days.

Last edited:
L.A Woman.

Mixed bag for me.
I prefer some of the tricks on the DVD A like mojo rising moving around, toms rolls etc. Mojo rising on this could have literally risen from front speakers to ceiling. Missed opportunity.
The bass sounds much thicker on this on.
The begininng of L’America is great with the moving guitar in ceiling speakers.
I do not really like the ROTS mix for the album that much. I initially thought the available mix was a bonus outtake? Quad is much better to me. You have guitar and keyboards panned to l and r, but these could have been put overhead, since drums, vocals and bass are already upfront.

Overall I am disapointed. As I listen I think this could have been put there, and that moved here(with instruments and vocals). This had so much scope for being excellent but is just ok.

L.A Woman.

Mixed bag for me.
I prefer some of the tricks on the DVD A like mojo rising moving around, toms rolls etc. Mojo rising on this could have literally risen from front speakers to ceiling. Missed opportunity.
The bass sounds much thicker on this on.
The begininng of L’America is great with the moving guitar in ceiling speakers.
I do not really like the ROTS mix for the album that much. I initially thought the available mix was a bonus outtake? Quad is much better to me. You have guitar and keyboards panned to l and r, but these could have been put overhead, since drums, vocals and bass are already upfront.

Overall I am disapointed. As I listen I think this could have been put there, and that moved here(with instruments and vocals). This had so much scope for being excellent but is just ok.
Really love these mixes, and ROTS must be my most played song in Atmos. Love the thunder and the rain in the heights. To me these new mixes are the go to versions for the future.

Really love these mixes, and ROTS must be my most played song in Atmos. Love the thunder and the rain in the heights. To me these new mixes are the go to versions for the future.
Me too! I listened to LA Woman last night and really enjoyed it. L'America and Riders are superb in Atmos. I always liked the DVD-A mix of the album but I think this is even better. Looking forward to checking out the rest.

Listening to Morrison Hotel now. Like WftS snare and kick are really punchy with great attack. This is by far the best ive heard these albums (big Doors fan here) both fidelity wise and mix wise. I really want these on physical release to squeeze out that last bit of resolution.

Listening to Morrison Hotel now. Like WftS snare and kick are really punchy with great attack. This is by far the best ive heard these albums (big Doors fan here) both fidelity wise and mix wise. I really want these on physical release to squeeze out that last bit of resolution.
I'm listening to MH too, and I'm with you on the sound quality. Really dig these mixes. :cool:

Back