The Doors catalog available now in Dolby Atmos!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm listening to MH too, and I'm with you on the sound quality. Really dig these mixes. :cool:
After having heard some at best avarage Atmos versions of albums that already exists in great 5.1 over the last weeks I was a little anxious about putting on the new Doors mixes. Glad to say I find them to be excellent. :) Someone has put their best effort into these old recordings. I have done some switching between the DVD-A mixes and the new Atmos mixes. They are quite different. I would say they are two different high quality takes on the same material. I find all over that Jim's voice has been cleaned up a bit more in the Atmos mixes and the low end has been extended compared to the 5.1s. Can't say I prefer any over the other, but great to have both!

I love it too, but to me the mix is shit. I'll rather keep listening to it on Spotify in my living room as before.
Yeah, I get what you're saying. But I also get why the mixer was excited. I'm guessing they haven't done many surround mixes, and they did the "put some atmospheric elements into the surrounds," but the mix still is really front-heavy. It doesn't feel like a coherent whole but rather feels like a amateur attempt to take a stereo mix and put a few secondary elements in other channels.

Really love these mixes, and ROTS must be my most played song in Atmos. Love the thunder and the rain in the heights. To me these new mixes are the go to versions for the future.
Why not put keyboards in rears on ROTS? Just my personal preferance.

The new mixes are front heavy to me, and I miss the tom rolls from love her madly. On the 5.1 they rapidly hit the rears r-l. I miss the moving vocals; mojo rising from the 5.1. I think the listener could have been fully immersed at all times, but this is a different approach. I would have put guitars/keys in ceiling speakers instead of fronts, like REM drive opening guitar rift.

Why not put keyboards in rears on ROTS? Just my personal preferance.

The new mixes are front heavy to me, and I miss the tom rolls from love her madly. On the 5.1 they rapidly hit the rears r-l. I miss the moving vocals; mojo rising from the 5.1. I think the listener could have been fully immersed at all times, but this is a different approach. I would have put guitars/keys in ceiling speakers instead of fronts, like REM drive opening guitar rift.
I haven't heard the 5.1 mixes for years, and I never compare mixes. There are in fact guitar solos in the front heights on some tracks. :cool:

After having heard some at best avarage Atmos versions of albums that already exists in great 5.1 over the last weeks I was a little anxious about putting on the new Doors mixes. Glad to say I find them to be excellent. :) Someone has put their best effort into these old recordings. I have done some switching between the DVD-A mixes and the new Atmos mixes. They are quite different. I would say they are two different high quality takes on the same material. I find all over that Jim's voice has been cleaned up a bit more in the Atmos mixes and the low end has been extended compared to the 5.1s. Can't say I prefer any over the other, but great to have both!

I came here to say this. After listening to Morrison Hotel, and going between the Atmos and the 5.1, both mixes are different, and both mixes are very good. The Atmos is a little cleaner. Neither are disappointing. I don't get the front heavy comment. Tiny speakers that are nowhere near a sub maybe? Always nice to have multiple mixes of great albums!

I just had the chance to cherry-pick a few of my favorite tracks from all six albums on my 5.1.2 system. My initial impression is that only a handful of songs utilize the height channels in interesting ways (sound effects in "Riders On The Storm", intro to "LA Woman", backing vocals at the end of "People Are Strange", etc), while most others sound fairly-similar to the old 5.1's with the core rhythm section/vocal/keys/guitar panned hard L-C-R and sporadic overdubs like the horns & strings throughout Soft Parade popping up in the back corners. I'm disappointed that a lot of the around-the-room panning effects from the 5.1's have removed, such as the "Mojo Rising" bit in "LA Woman" and guitar solo in "Waiting For The Sun." The big guitar solo in "Land Ho!" now comes from the center speaker instead of right rear.

Also, does anyone else think that Waiting For The Sun sounds a lot worse than the other five LPs? The Atmos mix of "Hello I Love You" in particular sounds completely de-balled to me, no 'punch' to speak of.

I just had the chance to cherry-pick a few of my favorite tracks from all six albums on my 5.1.2 system. My initial impression is that only a handful of songs utilize the height channels in interesting ways (sound effects in "Riders On The Storm", intro to "LA Woman", backing vocals at the end of "People Are Strange", etc), while most others sound fairly-similar to the old 5.1's with the core rhythm section/vocal/keys/guitar panned hard L-C-R and sporadic overdubs like the horns & strings throughout Soft Parade popping up in the rears. Also, does anyone else think that Waiting For The Sun sounds a lot worse than the other five LPs? The Atmos mix of "Hello I Love You" in particular sounds completely de-balled to me, no 'punch' to speak of.
I think they all sound good, I'm on 7.2.4 and there are action in the heights and SB on all albums. Guitar solos, organ, backing vocals, and effects. And Jim Morrison's vocals are so clear in the mix. To me this is the only way to listen to The Doors from now on. :cool:

I think they all sound good, I'm on 7.2.4 and there are action in the heights and SB on all albums. Guitar solos, organ, backing vocals, and effects. And Jim Morrison's vocals are so clear in the mix. To me this is the only way to listen to The Doors from now on. :cool:
The writing is on the wall...get a streaming service with Atmos.

I just had the chance to cherry-pick a few of my favorite tracks from all six albums on my 5.1.2 system. My initial impression is that only a handful of songs utilize the height channels in interesting ways (sound effects in "Riders On The Storm", intro to "LA Woman", backing vocals at the end of "People Are Strange", etc), while most others sound fairly-similar to the old 5.1's with the core rhythm section/vocal/keys/guitar panned hard L-C-R and sporadic overdubs like the horns & strings throughout Soft Parade popping up in the back corners. I'm disappointed that a lot of the around-the-room panning effects from the 5.1's have removed, such as the "Mojo Rising" bit in "LA Woman" and guitar solo in "Waiting For The Sun." The big guitar solo in "Land Ho!" now comes from the center speaker instead of right rear.

Also, does anyone else think that Waiting For The Sun sounds a lot worse than the other five LPs? The Atmos mix of "Hello I Love You" in particular sounds completely de-balled to me, no 'punch' to speak of.

You echo my thoughts. I also think some vocals are too low, not very clear. Love her madly sounds like a toilet.
Lovers of the new mixes please me gentle, just my opinion.

You echo my thoughts. I also think some vocals are too low, not very clear. Love her madly sounds like a toilet.
Lovers of the new mixes please me gentle, just my opinion.
Different setups, different sound. I love how clear and loud the vocals are, so much that I had to lower the center volume 1,5 db for these mixes..And my levels are right on, confirmed with sound pressure meter after Audessey calibration.

Different setups, different sound. I love how clear and loud the vocals are, so much that I had to lower the center volume 1,5 db for these mixes..And my levels are right on, confirmed with sound pressure meter after Audessey calibration.

No issues with the vocals on Morrison Hotel and Strange Days. That is as far as I've gotten. Looking forward to the rest tonight and the rest of this week.

What about Changeling, Love Her Madly and the WASP? I think the 5.1 mix had some lead vocals too low, but this sound worse to me. Different reverb on LHM & The Wasp?
On the other albums I would agree; some amazing sounding vocals, absolutely beautiful.

What about Changeling, Love Her Madly and the WASP? I think the 5.1 mix had some lead vocals too low, but this sound worse to me. Different reverb on LHM & The Wasp?
On the other albums I would agree; some amazing sounding vocals, absolutely beautiful.
I will check these songs later today.

After sampling all the Doors albums, I'd say the Atmos experience is a mixed bag. Many tracks sound jaw-droppingly good while others are just OK. However, the overall impression is great and absolutely worth a subscription to Apple Music, especially if these Atmos remixes are never going to see a physical release. Without doing a deep analysis it also sounds as if some tracks may be alternate takes - I'm hearing bits and pieces I don't recall hearing before on older stereo releases. IMHO, both musically and Atmos mix-wise, Waiting For The Sun seems to be the most consistent and interesting, but each title has at least a couple of outstanding tracks. I really hope the powers that be keep going with these back catalog make-overs.

I'm with you now on weaker vocals on these tracks, especially Love Her Madly. Did notice it when I listened for it.

After sampling all the Doors albums, I'd say the Atmos experience is a mixed bag. Many tracks sound jaw-droppingly good while others are just OK. However, the overall impression is great and absolutely worth a subscription to Apple Music, especially if these Atmos remixes are never going to see a physical release. Without doing a deep analysis it also sounds as if some tracks may be alternate takes - I'm hearing bits and pieces I don't recall hearing before on older stereo releases. IMHO, both musically and Atmos mix-wise, Waiting For The Sun seems to be the most consistent and interesting, but each title has at least a couple of outstanding tracks. I really hope the powers that be keep going with these back catalog make-overs.

The track Do It (Soft Parade), has pretty dramatically different backup vocals. Thanks dude over at SHF for pointing that one out...

Amazon Music left out some critical tracks The End, Light My Fire, Road House blues, etc.
WEIRD!
Overall, pretty good mixes
still like my Perception 5.1 box set better

Back