The QuadraphonicQuad Wine Thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...if you like Cabernet, you will LOVE a quality Malbec.
Eh... Not necessarily, just in the same way that a love for Cabernet Sauvignon does not guarantee pleasant experiences with good Merlot. Red Bordeaux grapes (Cab. Sauvignon, Cab. Franc, Merlot, Petit Verdot, Malbec, and Carménère) are hit-or-miss for most people when dominant in a wine.

Never had Port in my life, but this seriously has me intrigued. Sure, expensive, but compared to normal prices...seems a steal. I may pick up a bottle this weekend for the holidays. What you think wine lovers??

1702428037071.png

I have only had cheap brandy which isn't much different from grape mad dog. A well done port however brings added body and character to the wine.
I say go for it but if the price seems high, go find a local wine bar or resteraunt where you can sample a glass to see of you dig it first.

And, I'm a dope. Until I read up on Port an hour ago, I didn't realize it was wine fortified with Brandy. Man, that's crazy shit right there.

I was intrigued about port for the same reason @fredblue said. Pre-pandemic I spent about 2 years on a port & sherry exploration. . Too many bottles later I found nothing I liked or would want to return to. My older daughter usually hosts a wine tasting party between Xmas & NY's. One time I brought a port, another time a sherry . The only samples that gained negative numbers in the scoring.

Your experience (hopefully) will be quite different. I encourage you to try & certainly look forward to your results. I'll say it took about 10 years researching & sampling to acquire a taste for my real weakness, sake. About the only thing useful I might add is start cheaper. An inexpensive Bordeaux still gives hint what a good one offers, yes?

Last edited:
I have only had cheap brandy which isn't much different from grape mad dog. A well done port however brings added body and character to the wine.
I say go for it but if the price seems high, go find a local wine bar or resteraunt where you can sample a glass to see of you dig it first.
I mean, $70 isn't much at all in the big scheme of things. I don't plan on drinking a gallon of it. More for the experience. Didn't I just spend almost $250 on Who box? I think so. lol

I'm having a few glasses of Josh Cellars Legacy Blend. Pretty good. The blurb says;

This rich velvety red blend bursts with flavors of ripe plum, black cherry and toasted cedar and scents of dark fruit and pepper. I'm not sure I notice the toasted cedar or pepper. But I'm a rookie.

Regardless, it's smooth and tasty. It was on sale at our goofy County Market for $11.99, normally $16.99 I guess.

Vintage port generally needs years to really show its stuff. I've got a few 94s(great vintage) that are still developing. Try a late bottled vintage or LBV for drinking now. If you get into it, subscribe to the newsletter by Roy Hersh.

Back