Big Big Train "The Likes of Us" - CD/Blu-Ray with Bruce Soord 5.1 & Dolby Atmos mixes coming 3/1/24

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I could count on both hands the times I've listened to stereo on my audio rig in the past several months.
Don't see the point, really, unless the mch mix is awful.
Radio, Spotify, sure. But that's when I'm in my shop or in the vehicles.

I assume you mean given the choice between multi-channel or stereo. Then I would agree.

Otherwise, when I sit down to listen to music I always start off with something in two-channel. Well 2.2 I suppose, but anyway...

I am listening to it for the first time and looking through the booklet. Lovely artwork. No dedication to Longdon, but then Summer Shall Not Fade was one big dedication to him.

This is a band that appears to have both kept their integral sound yet you can also hear that they have moved on. I do feel a certain sadness as I listen to the music.

I am listening to it for the first time and looking through the booklet. Lovely artwork. No dedication to Longdon, but then Summer Shall Not Fade was one big dedication to him.

This is a band that appears to have both kept their integral sound yet you can also hear that they have moved on. I do feel a certain sadness as I listen to the music.
Agreed, sad and uplifting at the same time. It's an excellent album. There is a dedication to Longdon in the booklet, in the band thanks pages. "Always in our hearts" or something like that.

Is it just me or is this another surround mix where the Atmos (I only have a 5.1 system) is far superior to the 5.1 mix, overall tremendous album & Atmos mix

Is it just me or is this another surround mix where the Atmos (I only have a 5.1 system) is far superior to the 5.1 mix, overall tremendous album & Atmos mix
I'm in the same position as you in that I only have a 5.1 system, no Atmos. I have listened to both mixes, 5.1 and Atmos, and they both sound really good to me, although I haven't had time yet to do a comparison.

I don't know the technical reasons for any of this, but I do find that there are some mixes where the Atmos mix sounds better on my system than the dedicated 5.1 mix, some where they both sound the same, and some where the Atmos sounds worse than the 5.1! In the last category I would include some Steven Wilson Atmos mixes, e.g. the Atmos mix of The Hurting (Tears For Fears) just sounds wrong in 5.1, whereas the actual 5.1 mix sounds great. I'm wary sometimes of buying something where there is an Atmos mix on the disc but no dedicated 5.1, in case the Atmos "fold down" to 5.1 isn't good.

image.jpg

Latest posts

Back