Paul Young - "No Parlez" Blu-Ray Audio with 5.1 & Dolby Atmos mixes coming March 15 (SDE #17)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree. I was just about to leave a similar comment saying, it would be nice to have a couple of releases for artists that were successful on both sides of the Atlantic. I get that SDE is a UK company and therefore a lot of the legal wranglings necessary to bring these to market are easier to accomplish for acts based in the UK, but I can't talk myself into buying the majority of them.
Yeah, I wonder if the UK-centric nature of SDE's releases so far is legal/business related or Paul's personal preferences or what has proven to sell or a combination of all three. Whatever the case, though, out of the 17 releases so far (including the impending Paul Young), only one has been from a non-UK/European artist: Bob Dylan's Time Out Of Mind.

(Concert for George features a couple of American acts, but the whole project was a tribute to a British artist. And one of the Shakespears Sister duo was American, but the group was UK-based.)

Well I'm sitting in Laranaca Airport waiting to catch my flight back to the UK ( not looking forward to the drive home, probably get home around 2:30am), and so browsing emails and saw this.
So I'll get it, only Paul Young album I own. I think it was released '78-ish as I remember seeing friends playing in his backing band on TV! In the mid-70s he and his first band (Streetband) had a Friday night residency in the Horn Of Plenty in St. Albans my usual 'watering hole' back then.
Now I'm back home in the UK, I dug it out, it was released in 1983 not 1978!

This isn't going to change you're mind if you really don't like the music, but if you are wavering, check out some of the songs performed by Paul and his band live on (much-missed UK TV show) The Tube in 1983. They really sell the songs.

Nah. Once again, not terrible but heavily tinted by that 80's techno veneer that was all the rage on MTV. I like my fair share of 80s MTV pop, but most of those were songs that were pounded into my head over the years by overplay in pop culture and movies (and of course MTV). I couldn't stand most of it when it was new.

I wasn't into synth/keyboard etc music in the 80s. But...for some reason I bought this album after hearing "Love Of The Common People". The album grew on me and I listened to it quite regularly. I haven't heard it in years. I look forward to this release and preordered day of announcement.

I have to give my sincere thanks to Paul Sinclair for an invitation to visit Dolby HQ in London this evening for a preview of No Parlez in their Atmos theatre. The evening commenced with a conversation between Paul S and David Kosten about the huge amount of work assembling the tracks from the master tapes and then creating the Atmos mix with the character of the original stereo mix. Many of the reverb and effects were not on the tapes and had to be recreated before even considering the immersive mix.

I don't have Atmos at home, just a treasured 5.1 system, so this was my first experience of a full Atmos album and I would think that the system in Dolby HQ must be one of the best. So, just from my point of view, the mix of this album that I have known so well for 40 years is absolutely STUNNING! There's so much well considered action in the sound field and far more instrumentation and vocals emerge compared to the stereo album. Just WOW! I am really looking forward to hearing this album again even mixed down to 5.1.

Once the performance was over there was another conversation, this time with Paul Young and the original album producer, Laurie Latham, covering the background to the recording, writing and stories about the band members. All very informative and amusing about the processes involved in making a successful album. It spent more than 2 years in the UK album chart and second best selling album in it release year, after Thriller.

Paul S was a prime mover in getting this album produced in Atmos as well as releasing it on blu-ray. What a triumph! And I have the chance to play my part in supporting his initiative at the same time as feeding my habit. I have added a photo of the conversation - I'm not really much of a photographer but it sets the scene I hope.

Attachments

• 20240307_201726.JPG
    20240307_201726.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
I have to give my sincere thanks to Paul Sinclair for an invitation to visit Dolby HQ in London this evening for a preview of No Parlez in their Atmos theatre. The evening commenced with a conversation between Paul S and David Kosten about the huge amount of work assembling the tracks from the master tapes and then creating the Atmos mix with the character of the original stereo mix. Many of the reverb and effects were not on the tapes and had to be recreated before even considering the immersive mix.

I don't have Atmos at home, just a treasured 5.1 system, so this was my first experience of a full Atmos album and I would think that the system in Dolby HQ must be one of the best. So, just from my point of view, the mix of this album that I have known so well for 40 years is absolutely STUNNING! There's so much well considered action in the sound field and far more instrumentation and vocals emerge compared to the stereo album. Just WOW! I am really looking forward to hearing this album again even mixed down to 5.1.

Once the performance was over there was another conversation, this time with Paul Young and the original album producer, Laurie Latham, covering the background to the recording, writing and stories about the band members. All very informative and amusing about the processes involved in making a successful album. It spent more than 2 years in the UK album chart and second best selling album in it release year, after Thriller.

Paul S was a prime mover in getting this album produced in Atmos as well as releasing it on blu-ray. What a triumph! And I have the chance to play my part in supporting his initiative at the same time as feeding my habit. I have added a photo of the conversation - I'm not really much of a photographer but it sets the scene I hope.

Thanks! I'm looking forward to hearing it on my new Atmos system installed only this week. And you're from my old hometown, how nice. (My family migrated to Melbourne, Australia when I was a kid.)

Thanks! I'm looking forward to hearing it on my new Atmos system installed only this week. And you're from my old hometown, how nice. (My family migrated to Melbourne, Australia when I was a kid.)
Technically I'm not from Luton, I just live here, but Paul Young actually is from Luton, born and bred! 😀

Technically I'm not from Luton, I just live here, but Paul Young actually is from Luton, born and bred! 😀
Yes I know, how cool. I should have said that! And, digression alert, I used to think Rod Argent was as well, but he's from nearby St Albans. And Steven Wilson is of course from nearby Hemel Hempstead. I'd better stop there! :D

Yes I know, how cool. I should have said that! And, digression alert, I used to think Rod Argent was as well, but he's from nearby St Albans. And Steven Wilson is of course from nearby Hemel Hempstead. I'd better stop there! :D
That would have p*ssed off Rod Argent, he was an Abbey School boy :LOL:

Whereas I grew up in St. Albans and moved to Luton! I went to the St. Albans Grammar School, the same school that two other Zombies, Colin Blunstone and Chris White, attended although they would have left about 3 years before my first year there. But returning to the Luton connection, another famous musician/composer from these parts is David Arnold. If you don't know of him by name I recommend checking out the film/movie scores he has composed - you might have heard of some! :) To help here's his Wikipedia page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Arnold

Oops....I have gone off topic! Sorry! However, I may have exhausted the local connections now so unlikely to do this again!

I was fortunate enough to go along with omega4 to this preview and I agree that the new ATMOS mix is absolutely stunning. It's brought out an amazing amount of detail with nice separation between all the elements - I really liked the original stereo and 12" mixes back in the eigthies but this a terrific improvement. I never realised that so much was going on in the mix so this is bit of a revelation.

It was nice to actually meet Paul Sinclair and his family. I always assumed that he had been involved in the music business in the past because of the contacts he seems to have but this wasn't the case and it turns out SDE is the result of a fan's desire to try and fill the gaps in what are perceived as niche markets.

This is highly recommended so try not to miss out.

Latest posts

Back