Ten Years After - A space in Time (2012 4.1 Release!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I said the same thing to my local import CD store when mine arrived. More $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ for the greedy bastards at EMI, who spared no expense for the packaging or the heavily QC'ed product!! :howl :yikes I'm glad to have it even though it is a F&%ked up project. If I sit backwards, it sounds better than my SQ LP or Q8 of this essential Quad.
Can't you just fiddle around with the RCA connectors to fix this?

I couldn't endure listening to the reversed quad channels for very long, so I listened to the second half of the album in hi-res stereo with Logic 7 enhancement. Then last night I finally swung the couch around to face the rear speakers; which just happen to also be floorstanders that are slightly larger than the fronts (a long story.) This is indeed a very impressive quad mix but it probably wouldn't have worked out as well if the surrounds were significantly smaller than the fronts!

I couldn't endure listening to the reversed quad channels for very long, so I listened to the second half of the album in hi-res stereo with Logic 7 enhancement. Then last night I finally swung the couch around to face the rear speakers; which just happen to also be floorstanders that are slightly larger than the fronts (a long story.) This is indeed a very impressive quad mix but it probably wouldn't have worked out as well if the surrounds were significantly smaller than the fronts!
Agreed on the surround speakers. Fortunately mine are full range as well and, in any event, I often enjoy listening to stereo recordings through the surround speakers. (This is made possible by the fact that my player has two sets of stereo outs and my preamp has two sets of multichannel ins. A nice headphone effect without the bothersome headphones.) I agree that some of the quad tracks don't sound quite right but most of them absolutely do! If there is any criticism to be made it is with the original 1973 quad mix, which is inconsistent about where it puts the base guitar and drums. (There were similar problems on placement of instruments in the early days of stereo.) As for the packaging, I put the DVD in a slimline jewel box with the cardboard cover next to it in my CD drawer.

I absolutely enjoyed this quad recording even if it is a bit odd in places. I wish the studios would put out every quad recording they have, warts and all if necessary.

Next stop, the LP itself!

I've authored a version with the channels corrected to blu-ray w/LPCM....:mad:@:

My 83SE doesn't do DTS 96/24, so this is the best way for me to listen to it anyway!!

I couldn't endure listening to the reversed quad channels for very long, so I listened to the second half of the album in hi-res stereo with Logic 7 enhancement. Then last night I finally swung the couch around to face the rear speakers...
If you had my couch I'm sure you would have just swung around the RCA connections instead. My couch is extremely heavy with the dual recliners. The two huge thugs that delivered it weren't happy with the weight. They'd move it a bit and take a break.

Can't you just fiddle around with the RCA connectors to fix this?

oh yes, good idea! I used to be able to do that.. but now I've gone All-HDMI for surround, I've cut down on the spaghetti junction of cables but I've also lost just that kind of flexibility you suggest, cupboy.

Its still a bit of a jumble round the back of my main rig though... 7 HDMI sources connected to the receiver (Universal Blu-ray, DVD/SACD, MacMini, Apple TV, Satellite TV Box, Sony PS3 and XBox 360) and 2 HDMI's going out (one driving a Monitor for playing DVDA's, occasional TV watching, etc.. the other goes to the Projector) and legacy stuff like the Laserdisc player is just composite video (and stereo at the moment.. pah! spit! i need to dig out my old Dolby Digital Demodulator and get that hooked up so I can play my LDs in DD again - at last!) oh and there's 3 games consoles via component (Nintendo Wii, Sony PS2 & Sega Dreamcast) and a karaoke machine (yikes!) and with 9.1 speakers on the go its still a cable jumble round the back, even without the analogue (phono/RCA/patch cable..!? so many alternative names for them aren't there?) outs!

so (even without analogue outs) I count 40 cables from my receiver, actually 41 including the A/C cord..!

I can't imagine routing another 6 RCAs (or worse still, 8, even, if it were from my blu-ray player!) around there to re-purpose these futzed up quads like the Ten Years After..!?!

i suppose a lot of you guys with multiple Quad gear all hooked up at once must have even more wires everywhere..??

if you're running Q4, Q8, SQ, QS and CD-4, all in one system, let's say, you could have 20 + cables just to get sound out of them all..!! plus you'd need a switcher unit (like Linda's Zektor) so that would mean having to daisy chain another 4 to go to your receiver.. and all this before you've a speaker cable, blu-ray, SACD or DVDA player in sight..!! wow!

on that tangent, did Quad ever adopt "Din" type connectors to route multiple channels back in the day, as opposed to separate analogue outs? i'm thinking in a similar(-ish) kind of way to the HDMI thing now (or maybe more like the old S-Video or SCART connectors, being analogue).. that would have been neat-o (maybe!) :eek:

If you had my couch I'm sure you would have just swung around the RCA connections instead. My couch is extremely heavy with the dual recliners. The two huge thugs that delivered it weren't happy with the weight. They'd move it a bit and take a break.

Actually, my couch is a dual recliner as well. That's why it took me so long to get around to doing it. But I had the foresight to put it on sliders which makes it somewhat easier to move around. However, I never thought I would need to do so because of a backwards authored DVD! :)

Also, regarding the dual recliner, it has a 39" high back, so that is why I use my larger floor standers as the surrounds rather than as the fronts. When I had the smaller floorstanders as the surrounds, the tweeters fired directly into the high back on the couch. The current arrangement with the 43" high speakers in the front and the 53" high ones as the surrounds sounds better.

There are hundreds of cables to interconnect 32 pieces of gear on my system. I have way more $$$ in cables than most folks have in gear. There's also a Russound Quad switcher, dbx II n/r, scope and moving coil transformer. I'm afraid to go back there for fear I may never return alive. :yikes

DIN connectors were used primarily in Europe back in the day. My Teac reel and Akai Q8 have them. SQD-2020 has one for tape. The other vintage gear I own has none.

Is the food good at Spaghetti Junction?

I've authored a version with the channels corrected to blu-ray w/LPCM....

If I could easily do that, I'd probably buy this one. I've tried to support the surround sound releases whenever I can. I've bought stuff by artists that I only marginally care for, I've bought overpriced box sets and I've bought discs I've never heard (and loved some of them!) to try to help convince the record companies to release more discs I really do want. But this one is too big of a screw up for me to spend my money on. Reversing the front and back channels? What kind of quality control is that?? But moving my furniture or pulling out my equipment to reverse the cables is more than I'm willing to go through to listen to one disc that I already have a pretty great sounding version of.

K

It STILL sounds great, so long as your rears are full-range. Music and mix, out of 1000 Quad/5.1 albums I own, this is in the top 10.

I was listening to this in my convertible last week. I almost got into a collision because I was driving while sitting backwards.

I can confirm that the ASIN #B008RY0Y6M from US Amazon is indeed the Quad version, and what a great Quad recording it is!!

It STILL sounds great, so long as your rears are full-range. Music and mix, out of 1000 Quad/5.1 albums I own, this is in the top 10.

I was listening to this in my convertible last week. I almost got into a collision because I was driving while sitting backwards.

It might not sound bad that way, in the early days of car stereo the speakers were almost always on the rear deck adding surround to the front would just be a natural enhancement of that! Other than than the front to rear screw up how is the sound? As already reported we already have the Michael Robin Columbia tape converted to DVDA, this release should be from a lower generation tape but it's still lossy DTS. I want to support most any Quad/Surround release but now don't know about this one. I've been listening to Ten Years After "Rock and Roll Music to the World" in "Fake Quad". I like this album better than "A Space in Time" it was released in 1972 but stereo only, pity!

Convertible! Chicago is almost as cold as Canada I hope you had the top up!

We've had cold days for the last week. This Friday and Saturday they're predicting low-high 60's. A week ago Thursday was the last day the top was down. Soon the convertible gets put away for the winter. I'm considering selling it and buying a new one in spring. This one's an '09.

....As already reported we already have the Michael Robin Columbia tape converted to DVDA, this release should be from a lower generation tape but it's still lossy DTS.
Is Robin still around and how did he get these tapes? From Magtec or somewhere like that?

FYI - For anyone like me who held off on purchasing this when it was first released, the price just dropped to $16.99 (!!) over at Amazon US. It said only 2 copies left, and I just snagged one. Not sure if they will be restocking, but you might want to jump on it ASAP. If you have Prime shipping, that is an incredible deal.

Back