Pink Floyd - "Animals" 5.1 Surround Sound Mix (Blu-Ray & SACD editions out in September 2022!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Incorrect. It's currently impossible to process DSD natively—e.g. apply effects—but simply changing levels of individual mix elements is possible without conversion to DXD. Alternatively, one can digitize the tracks to DSD, then mix in the analog realm, and capture the result back to DSD. At a guess, the latter is probably Guthrie's workflow. He's an old school engineer and probably owns a large-format analog console at his Das Boot facility.
You cannot change the levels of individual elements in DSD digitally. It is a 1 bit format, and you can't change a 1 to 1.3. He's either using DXD or mixing in the analogue domain. Using analogue seems rather stupid to me given this could all be done so easily in PCM.

You cannot change the levels of individual elements in DSD digitally. It is a 1 bit format, and you can't change a 1 to 1.3.
No.
He's either using DXD or mixing in the analogue domain. Using analogue seems rather stupid to me given this could all be done so easily in PCM.
You're not a recording/mixing engineer, are you? Many engineers who started in the 20th Century prefer mixing on a large-format analog console and analog outboard gear. Chris Lord-Alge's studio is based around an SSL 4000-series console, and no one complains about his results. There's nothing "stupid" about it.

Last edited:
I have both. Casual listening to one and then the other the next day, I didn't notice any difference in sound quality. I wouldn't expect any noticeable difference, I would assume that the SACD was sourced from PCM masters. At some point I'll try to do more listening comparisons.

As the discs are reasonably priced why not get both (especially if you are a Floyd fan)? The packaging of the SACD is much nicer than that of the Blu-ray. On the downside you don't get the setup test tones with the SACD.
I was kind of thinking the same thing - might as well get both…the SACD is hybrid too…so you get the new stereo mix in the CD layer…

I have both. Casual listening to one and then the other the next day, I didn't notice any difference in sound quality. I wouldn't expect any noticeable difference, I would assume that the SACD was sourced from PCM masters. At some point I'll try to do more listening comparisons.

As the discs are reasonably priced why not get both (especially if you are a Floyd fan)? The packaging of the SACD is much nicer than that of the Blu-ray. On the downside you don't get the setup test tones with the SACD.
No difference in sound quality between the blu-ray and SACD. I prefer the SACD, as streaming music via blu-ray to the Sonos speakers in the kitchen, results in a small audio delay. CD, DVD-A and SACD can play in my listening room and stream to the kitchen, without any audio delay. Test tones not needed, as I use Audyssey calibration.

No.

You're not an engineer, are you? Many engineers who started in the 20th Century prefer mixing on a large-format analog console and analog outboard gear. Chris Lord-Alge's studio is based around an SSL 4000-series console, and no one complains about his results. There's nothing "stupid" about it.
OK so they remodulate the DSD stream to change level. You might as well convert to PCM and do it all there, you've saved nothing by the remodulation approach.

I am a software engineer with a background in digital audio formats.

No.

You're not an engineer, are you? Many engineers who started in the 20th Century prefer mixing on a large-format analog console and analog outboard gear. Chris Lord-Alge's studio is based around an SSL 4000-series console, and no one complains about his results. There's nothing "stupid" about it.
I’m an engineer (retired), and my senior project in college was a delta modulator, so I know how DSD works. The one bit simply states whether the signal being digitized is going up or down from the previous sample. In order to edit or mix that stream of bits, it has to be converted to something like PCM. This may happen invisibly in a workstation, but DSD by itself is pretty much impossible to manipulate.

I ordered the deluxe edition from Amazon Canada (I have prime membership too) way back on 3rd July. I was pleased to get the price which dropped from $130 to $90 but yesterday was release day and I got no shipping notification. Then I got an email from Amazon saying that the expected delivery is now between November 6th to December 8th!! What a joke. Has anyone else that ordered from Amazon.ca had this happen or had it delivered or being delivered soon?
I’m just wondering if it’s because I’ll be paying less that I get shoved to the back of the pile.
I gave up on Amazon.ca. as it just became too frustrating. About 6 months ago I was waiting on 2 or 3 different items that kept getting bumped back, while others on this forum who ordered from other suppliers had no problems getting the items in question by the release date. Not sure if it’s supply chain issues or Amazon not prioritizing physical music releases, but I cancelled my Amazon orders and simply order directly from the source, whether it’s Burning Shed, Cherry Red etc. I got the orders fairly quickly, and without any issues, while Amazon was still not showing the items as available. The only item I still have on order at Amazon is the new Steve Hackett, as it wasn’t a priority for me, and I was also giving them another chance. Release date on his website was Sept. 2, Amazon “release date” is October 28. If that date comes and goes, I’ll cancel and get it from somewhere else and be truly done with them.

I ordered the deluxe edition from Amazon Canada (I have prime membership too) way back on 3rd July. I was pleased to get the price which dropped from $130 to $90 but yesterday was release day and I got no shipping notification. Then I got an email from Amazon saying that the expected delivery is now between November 6th to December 8th!! What a joke. Has anyone else that ordered from Amazon.ca had this happen or had it delivered or being delivered soon?
I’m just wondering if it’s because I’ll be paying less that I get shoved to the back of the pile.
Mine came yesterday. I bought it from Amazon US for $65.

20221009_161618.jpg

Be responsible, I told myself....just get the blu-ray. But......ya know.....it's Pink Floyd. Had to get the big box. My vinyl sounds good. There was a bit of noise at the beginning of "Pigs", but other than that it's a pretty quiet pressing. Really like the big booklet. The only thing I could get nitpicky about is that I really like the font for the lyrics on the album's original sleeve. (And did anyone else notice that on the original pressings of the album, the lyrics for "Dogs" included the line "who was given a seat in the stand" on the lyric sheet. This has been corrected on the new version.)

Gotta say 2022 has been a good year to be a Pink Floyd fan. Animals in surround, a new song from the band, plus fantastic tours from both Nick and Roger. And the band has been teasing the 50th anniversary of Dark Side on their social media accounts......

Incorrect. It's currently impossible to process DSD natively—e.g. apply effects—but simply changing levels of individual mix elements is possible without conversion to DXD. Alternatively, one can digitize the tracks to DSD, then mix in the analog realm, and capture the result back to DSD. At a guess, the latter is probably Guthrie's workflow. He's an old school engineer and probably owns a large-format analog console at his Das Boot facility.
Yup. From an interview about the 5.1 for Amused to Death: An Interview With James Guthrie Perfect 5.1 Sense Interview By Mike Mettler

Mettler: Tell me about the gear and the equipment you used in the studio while working on the 5.1 mixes. This was all done at das boot recording, right?

Guthrie: Apart from the digital transfers that we made in London, it was all done at das boot recording, yes. My studio is a collection of gear I've acquired over the years that I consider to be the best amalgam of analog and digital. We live in a digital world, but a lot of equipment that makes the most pleasing sound to me is still analog. Having that analog gear means we can always use the original master tapes in conjunction with newer digital files.

I use Studer A827 2-inch multi-track recorders that can be configured as 16-track, 24-track, or even 8-track. On the digital side, it's all SADiE for workstations with various high-quality options for ADC and DAC. Nothing is done "in the box." The workstations are used as tape machines, and all tracks are output through a digitally controlled analog console made by Euphonix. Multitrack playback DACs are made by Prism. Mix converters were dCS for TDSOTM and WYWH and Prism for ATD. Meitner converters are used for transfers to DSD. I'm a big fan of [founder of EAR valve amplifiers] Tim de Paravicini, and I use numerous pieces of equipment that he has designed and built, including some custom pieces that he has made for me.

I purchased all 3 versions, and have now the Blu Ray and the SACD, still waiting for the LP box.
I ripped the SACD (5.1 & 2.0), I also ripped the BD-A decided on the DTS HD MSTR as the rip and was satisfied. It was nice that they included the original stereo version, definitely can hear the difference.
The DR's and BD-A bit rates are slightly different.
5.1 SACD 10, 13, 13, 13, 14 DSD64
5.1 BD-A 14, 13, 13, 12, 15 24/96
2.0 SACD 13, 12, 13, 12, 13 DSD64
2.0 BD-A 13, 12, 12, 12, 13 24/192

I looked through tons of pages of this thread to try and find it, but couldn't. Could someone tell me which Title/Chapter is that instrumental ambient mix that plays under the menu? I'd like to import it.

I looked through tons of pages of this thread to try and find it, but couldn't. Could someone tell me which Title/Chapter is that instrumental ambient mix that plays under the menu? I'd like to import it.
Look within folders BDMV -> STREAM and locate the '00000.m2ts' file. Which has a size of: 1,024,752KB. The duration is: 5 minutes 4 seconds ;)

79120-Pink-Floyd-Animals-2018-Remix-.PNG

Guthrie: Apart from the digital transfers that we made in London, it was all done at das boot recording, yes. My studio is a collection of gear I've acquired over the years that I consider to be the best amalgam of analog and digital. We live in a digital world, but a lot of equipment that makes the most pleasing sound to me is still analog. Having that analog gear means we can always use the original master tapes in conjunction with newer digital files.

I use Studer A827 2-inch multi-track recorders that can be configured as 16-track, 24-track, or even 8-track. On the digital side, it's all SADiE for workstations with various high-quality options for ADC and DAC. Nothing is done "in the box." The workstations are used as tape machines, and all tracks are output through a digitally controlled analog console made by Euphonix. Multitrack playback DACs are made by Prism. Mix converters were dCS for TDSOTM and WYWH and Prism for ATD. Meitner converters are used for transfers to DSD. I'm a big fan of [founder of EAR valve amplifiers] Tim de Paravicini, and I use numerous pieces of equipment that he has designed and built, including some custom pieces that he has made for me.
So he's converting things multiple times between analogue and digital. That makes a mockery of any claim that things are being kept as DSD all the time. And it's also a dumb thing to do in my view, there are losses of fidelity every time which while minor will add up. Why not just do it all in the digital domain with PCM?
I remember Pulse original CD release going on about use of valves (tubes) in the mic preamp because they sound better. No, it just means he prefers the sound with added odd order harmonics.

So he's converting things multiple times between analogue and digital. That makes a mockery of any claim that things are being kept as DSD all the time. And it's also a dumb thing to do in my view, there are losses of fidelity every time which while minor will add up. Why not just do it all in the digital domain with PCM?
I remember Pulse original CD release going on about use of valves (tubes) in the mic preamp because they sound better. No, it just means he prefers the sound with added odd order harmonics.
I am no expert in DSD to analog conversions, but whatever he did with Animals, it sounds great.

as did the DSOTM 5.1
and the WYWH 5.1
and the ATD 5.1

All have stellar sound quality IMO

I am no expert in DSD to analog conversions, but whatever he did with Animals, it sounds great.

as did the DSOTM 5.1
and the WYWH 5.1
and the ATD 5.1

All have stellar sound quality IMO
Indeed they do, but they could perhaps have sounded better without all this DSD<->analogue format converting. We'll never know.

Indeed they do, but they could perhaps have sounded better without all this DSD<->analogue format converting. We'll never know.
Since Guthrie said, "We live in a digital world, but a lot of equipment that makes the most pleasing sound to me is still analog" that implies he tried it both ways in the past and he thought the analog equipment sounded better.

Regardless, I suspect a very small percentage of people possess the equipment necessary to tell the difference in a blinded test.

Regardless, I suspect a very small percentage of people possess the equipment necessary to tell the difference in a blinded test.
That equipment being the human auditory system, rather than any playback gear. We theoretically have the ability to hear the equivalent of 20 bits of PCM dynamic range, but only about 12 bits of that is usable for music. Only the youngest of us can hear anything close to 20kHz, let alone beyond 16kHz. If anyone says they can hear the difference between the same master at 16/44.1, 24/96+, and any variation of DSD, they most likely couldn't reliably identify them in a blind ABX test.

Back