Santana's "Caravanserai" on Hybrid Multichannel SACD in 7" Mini-LP Packaging!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would enjoy hearing an example of material posted on YouTube that sounds as good as what you describe...standard YouTube bandwidth, not the higher bandwidth which costs money…of any title currently available on a DV quad.

Nothing I’ve ever heard on YouTube compared to that on a DV high-resolution quad.

I stand by my position. The current dirt cheap price of a DV quad at about $9 an album (including shipping) affords one the opportunity to delve into material one may find much more appealing than presented over YouTube…and even a redbook CD. I could make an extensive list of DV quad artists and albums I’ve bought for which the stereo versions never compelled me to make a purchase.
They are out there if you look. The mix and mastering are always more important than the format in my world, on my system with my ears. Also bypassing the Windows mixer is crucial with ASIO or WASAPI.

Yes, I wonder why they aren't doing regular air mail right now from Japan, Covid is mostly over. I was recently dinged on a FedEx package from the US. No duty but GST and their outrageous handling fee! The post office charges GST/duty as well, but usually most packages just scoot straight through.

These discs are worth the price anyway!
When I ordered 3 Santanas and Mahavishnu by air mail over a year ago I didn't pay any GST.Than I paid those extra DHL $23 after buying Santana & Buddy Miles and Miles Davis Bitches Brew.I wonder when Japan will resume this air mail shipment again because I feel the next Santana Borboletta coming soon.

When I ordered 3 Santanas and Mahavishnu by air mail over a year ago I didn't pay any GST.Than I paid those extra DHL $23 after buying Santana & Buddy Miles and Miles Davis Bitches Brew.I wonder when Japan will resume this air mail shipment again because I feel the next Santana Borboletta coming soon.
I sure hope that they do.

It's stuff like this that helps me get over the Dutton titles that don't exactly rock my world. Every time DV has a lull for a few months, then Sony Japan also seems to not be delivering anything, then a killer Steven Wilson surround title arrives. If none of the above is forthcoming, then a Pink Floyd Animals arrives!!!!

So you see there really is always something good on tap for us surround fans. "Caravanserai" is an A-List quad title no doubt. If the Santana III album is any indication, the masters are in beautiful shape, some quality will be jaw-droppingly great. It's still very good times for older quad and newer 5.1 mixes.

Oh, Atmos... what's that?

It's stuff like this that helps me get over the Dutton titles that don't exactly rock my world. Every time DV has a lull for a few months, then Sony Japan also seems to not be delivering anything, then a killer Steven Wilson surround title arrives. If none of the above is forthcoming, then a Pink Floyd Animals arrives!!!!

So you see there really is always something good on tap for us surround fans. "Caravanserai" is an A-List quad title no doubt. If the Santana III album is any indication, the masters are in beautiful shape, some quality will be jaw-droppingly great. It's still very good times for older quad and newer 5.1 mixes.

Oh, Atmos... what's that?
As good as these old quads may be, I'll take Atmos over it any day. ;) But I have the three first Santana quads, and will order this when amazon.co.jp get it for pre order. :cool:

As good as these old quads may be, I'll take Atmos over it any day. ;) But I have the three first Santana quads, and will order this when amazon.co.jp get it for pre order. :cool:
I go by the album and music over how many channels are offered every time. If I didn’t really like the album in question, I would not even bother with quad or 5.1.

And since I own hundreds of 4.0 and 5.1, the bed is already made for me.

I go by the album and music over how many channels are offered every time. If I didn’t really like the album in question, I would not even bother with quad or 5.1.

And since I own hundreds of 4.0 and 5.1, the bed is already made for me.
The Guy Who Dies With The Most Quads Wins. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I too have oodles of stuff. Oodles more coming from our friends at DV.

When I stumbled across this album, I thought this could have been a major inspiration for Santana's new direction which lead to Caravanserai.

And you'd be right. From the article I linked to earlier on the background of Caravanserai:

"Another album Santana was listening to was Thembi by Pharoah Sanders, released in 1971. The album opener, Astral Travelling, has a laid back atmospheric mood, with lots of reverb and echo effects on the electric piano.

https://musicaficionado.blog/2018/10/10/caravanserai-by-santana/
Good catch. I listened to this album for the 1st time a few months ago after hearing the song Thembi on the Sirius radio in my car. Immediately added the album to my Qobuz library in Roon.

I will wait for the next coupon offer from CDJapan and then pull the trigger for Caravanserai and Santana/Buddy Miles Live. :cool:

Just saw this thread... great news! Ordered Caravanserai and Live! together for under $80 delivered to California (got a 300yen discount and had some bonus points saved up at JapanCD). The Japan 7inch collection and the Dutton Vocalion SACDs seem like the only somewhat affordable physical surround releases in town these days. I'm not buying the Super Deluxe Box stuff anymore for the most part and I don't stream Atmos yet, so my surround activity at QQ is pretty limited these days... so glad to get these offerings!!!

Just saw this thread... great news! Ordered Caravanserai and Live! together for under $80 delivered to California (got a 300yen discount and had some bonus points saved up at JapanCD). The Japan 7inch collection and the Dutton Vocalion SACDs seem like the only somewhat affordable physical surround releases in town these days. I'm not buying the Super Deluxe Box stuff anymore for the most part and I don't stream Atmos yet, so my surround activity at QQ is pretty limited these days... so glad to get these offerings!!!
Don't forget SDE blu-rays!

Been listening to Caravanserai in stereo for the past few days now, this material really sounds like it’s made for quad, cannot wait to hear this. Pretty cool that we’re all going to experience the actual discrete master for the first time together.

LOL! I'm guessing if Sean is too busy to visit QQ, he's also too busy to plow through all the personal emails he gets. It's a job. I get literally dozens of them daily.
Well, if he's interested in new surround music, he should. ;)

Back