• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

Dolby Surround CD's - What's Your Latest?

fredblue

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Reaction score
So does this mean that Band of Gold was mixed in quad? Was there an album?
afaik there was sadly no Quad of Freda Payne.

these Motorcity Chartbusters Dolby Surround CDs are new recordings and not the originals from the 60's and 70's.

the solo numbers are by the original artists or as by those artists as listed and according to the rear inlay, the group songs have "as many of the original group members as possible".

the arrangements themselves for the most part aren't bad and most of the vocal performances are very good.. there's a dreaded cheapness to some of the electronic/synthetic drums, strings, etc. which if you can listen beyond that these are enjoyable recreations. they will never replace the Motown original recordings of course and a few tracks are a pretty poor substitute but by and large the discs are a lot of fun and great from a surround point of view since most of the tracks decode excellently through Dolby PLII Music, with a great sense of separation. Recommended 👍

oxenholme

400 Club - QQ All-Star
Since 2002/2003
Reaction score
I'd give anything to hear Nathan Jones in surround!
Assuming it's the right disc - it looks like it in the pic on Discogs - it's on its way to me, very cheaply indeed at less than 2 Euros, from Finland.
When It arrives I'll have to figure out a way of playing it.
Is there a way of translating Dolby Surround into 5.1 flac on the computer?

fredblue

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Reaction score
Assuming it's the right disc - it looks like it in the pic on Discogs - it's on its way to me, very cheaply indeed at less than 2 Euros, from Finland.
fwiw they're not the original Motown versions but "all new" re-recordings (by mostly the original artists) that to me sound like they were done on the cheap with few if any real instruments.. but they're good fun with some decent vocals and most tracks give a great surround effect in PLII Music. i imagine they'd be alright through a Surround Master in Involve mode as well but tbh i never checked.

fizzywiggs41

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Reaction score

Yeah , basically it's a cheap type of music in surround for that label.........but some of those artists are just not available in surround.

Reaction score
It's a good one with the Surround Master. The Pink Panther album by Henry Mancini in Dolby Surround is even better with the Surround Master.
Thanks to all for the heads up on the Macini Dolby Surround discs! I love Mancini's style, and have bought all of the Dutton-Vocalion releases. Now I've two more discs to look for.

oxenholme

400 Club - QQ All-Star
Since 2002/2003
Reaction score
It's a good one with the Surround Master. The Pink Panther album by Henry Mancini in Dolby Surround is even better with the Surround Master.
So if I were to manage somehow to get a Surround Master to England I would be feeding 2 channel analogue sound into it from the Oppo 2 channel output as it plays the RCA Dolby Surround CD, having passed through the Oppo DAC; it would be converted to digital for surround sound synthesis and then through another DAC and the resultant 5.1 analogue output fed into one of the sets of 5.1 inputs to my Parasound P7. The intended Dolby Prologic won't have been used.

And no doubt sounding good as you say.

But is it really impossible to convert from a Dolby Surround CD to 5.1 flac? And similarly with DTS CDs (not DTS DVDs) (e.g. Venus And Mars) is it impossible to convert to 5.1 flac?

bmoura

Super Moderator
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
Reaction score
Correct. The Surround Master takes the 2 channel Dolby Surround encoded Mancini album and decodes it into 4 Channel Surround Sound.
As a bonus, it splits the original Dolby Surround encoded mono surround channel into separate LR and RR channels. A big improvement over decoding this CD with a Pro Logic decoder.

Once it has been split into 4 channels, you could convert that into a 4.0 or 5.0 FLAC file for playback with a DAC, DAP or optical disc player.

humprof

900 Club - QQ All-Star
Reaction score
Is there an AA3 script for Dolby? Actually, could someone please let me know just what AA3 decoding scripts are available in the wild for surround decoding? I'm out of work so may have some time for fooling with such things, Once I've flogged Abbey Road to bits that is
Maybe this should be the start of a new thread, but does anyone have an answer for @watsontr 's question? Are there in fact any (freely available, consumer-grade) software decode scripts for the "old" Dolby Surround? All I'm finding is SurCode, which is standalone commercial software that looks to have a $600 price tag.

I ask because I'm thinking of retiring the last AVR in my possession with a built-in PLII circuit, and I have a handful of Dolby Surround discs that I'd still like to be able to listen to. (As we've established, the "new," post-2014 Dolby Surround DSP is effectively an Atmos upmixer, not a PLII decoder, and consequently newer AVRs don't decode Dolby Surround CDs properly.) The only other solution I'm seeing right now is to run these discs through my old AVR using PLII, "record them in" to my computer, and save the files as 5.1 FLACs (or burn them to DVD-Rs). But such a DAD conversion--I'm assuming it would be DAD, unless I can use HDMI rather than RCA cables to record in?--seems sort of inefficient, not to mention conducive to signal deterioration.

Here's another, only tangentially related question. Let's say I get a copy of the soundtrack of the VHS--or maybe the Japanese Laserdisc--of the movie version of Tom Waits's Big Time. Like the unofficial DVD-V release, which is rare as hen's teeth, these are reputed to be encoded in Dolby Surround, but I don't know if that's ever been confirmed. So my question is: how could I tell for sure? If I play it back with Dolby PLII and it sounds good, that might mean it's encoded--or it might just mean that the PLIIx or PLIIz circuit is doing a convincing job of "up-converting" it.

Last edited: