Biggest single surround release?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know classical ruins all these comparisons, but the San Francisco Symphony's Mahler Project is 17 full SACDs, over 18 hours of music. And then I realized that this exists, and presumably is the winner.
71v7dquhhrL._SL600_.jpg

...loving all the replies and enthusiasm!

I don't know anything about final format(s) or release dates yet, though I would guess at first half of 2022 for the latter and whatever format(s) it is, the surround is highly likely to be uncompressed.

Sorry to be such a tease (well, sorry, not sorry, really ;) ) ...but rest assured; you'll know who/what it is just as soon as I'm allowed to tell you.

I didn't expect to wake up feeling all Scooby-Doo about continuing to work on the mystery within this QuadraphonicQuad Holiday Special™, but here we are...

OK gang, "knowing the music *very* well" seems to point to a legacy artist that is likely gonna be a mind-blower upon reveal. What usually thwarts (or neuters) these releases? When the creative and/or legal owners of the music are still around and can bicker with one another or block the releases outright (*cough* Floyd *cough* Paul Simon *cough*). So for fun, let's start with... 1) Who has an estate that has proven very motivated to get big sets out there while us SuperDeluxers that are willing to pay for 'em still walk the earth?

And let's add 2) Who might still be sitting on a sizable amount of truly unreleased material after all of this time?

Screen Shot 2021-12-23 at 8.10.47 AM.png
?

But what if we layer on 3) Who has a demonstrable history of dabbling in quad/surround?

679-6798791_frank-zappa-logo-hd-png-download.png
?

I didn't expect to wake up feeling all Scooby-Doo about continuing to work on the mystery within this QuadraphonicQuad Holiday Special™, but here we are...

OK gang, "knowing the music *very* well" seems to point to a legacy artist that is likely gonna be a mind-blower upon reveal. What usually thwarts (or neuters) these releases? When the creative and/or legal owners of the music are still around and can bicker with one another or block the releases outright (*cough* Floyd *cough* Paul Simon *cough*). So for fun, let's start with... 1) Who has an estate that has proven very motivated to get big sets out there while us SuperDeluxers that are willing to pay for 'em still walk the earth?

And let's add 2) Who might still be sitting on a sizable amount of truly unreleased material after all of this time?

View attachment 74615?

But what if we layer on 3) Who has a demonstrable history of dabbling in quad/surround?

View attachment 74616?
Nice… or

1640266533601.gif

View attachment 74615?

View attachment 74616?
I think the second one is an especially good guess. All the live stuff in that vault fits the bill

Thanks for sharing! Wow, this set was quite an undertaking by BIS and Suzuki. I just ordered the 10 disc set of secular cantatas :)
It really was! Recording them was from 1995-2013; the first half were done at CD resolution but they went back to the multitracks so at least the surround is a real discrete mix. The secular cantatas were just completed I believe, another 10 SACDs, and there's a lot more. I wouldn't be surprised if they do another even bigger SACD box, since the sacred cantatas box has sold out: eClassical - Bach Collegium Japan

Haha - maybe not then! ;)

...actually, although it's been a mammoth undertaking, this one has been an absolute joy to play test. I know most of the material *very* well (though there's a substantial quantity of unreleased stuff) and the guy doing the mixing has done a stellar job before he sent them to me, so very little by way of fixing required. Just a lot of enjoyment and a bit of "polishing" suggestions on my part...
I’m glad to hear that the guy who did the mixing did a great job because you can’t polish a turd!

Since the Chicago QUADIO 9 BD~A set includes 3 double discs .... Hmmmm!

And Neil we're depending on your GOLDEN👂EARS for SONIC PERFECTION. No Snafus like switched channels, out of phase info or missing instruments! The always astute QQ POLICE are EVER VIGILANT!👮‍♂️officer krupke
Ralphie, that would make it a West Side Story! I swear, this surround thing is a social disease!

Back