Steven Wilson Gentle Giant "Interview" (5.1 & Dolby Atmos Remix out in June!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just received email from Amazon that Interview shipment is now delayed for 3 weeks: ~7/7. Promptly canceled and ordered from Importcds (which says it's in stock still with 6/16 release date) for just $2 more including shipping. Hopefully they will ship it out promptly. Man, all these date changes and unexplained shipping delays are getting OLD :mad:.

My Amazon “hey, we’ve got some bad news” e-mail just came. But in my case they’re estimating June 26 - June 30 for delivery.

Just received email from Amazon that Interview shipment is now delayed for 3 weeks: ~7/7. Promptly canceled and ordered from Importcds (which says it's in stock still with 6/16 release date) for just $2 more including shipping. Hopefully they will ship it out promptly. Man, all these date changes and unexplained shipping delays are getting OLD :mad:.

Burning Shed has 7/7 as well.

It's just going to be delayed for everybody.

I was very pleased to find a single copy(!) for sale at a nearby CD/vinyl shop over the weekend. Interestingly whereas I preferred the 5.1 of Free Hand, I think the Atmos mix is the clear winner this time around. The more straight-ahead rock songs like the title track and "Timing" are surprisingly front-heavy in the 5.1 presentation, keeping the rhythm guitar & keys upfront with the drums while the Atmos mix moves those parts to the side speakers. There are also fun moving passages in the Atmos (the bell chimes in the title track, keys in "I Lost My Head") that remain static in the 5.1 mix. "Design" and "I Lost My Head" are definitely standouts.

Glad to see the fun video animations are back as well (I particularly liked the one for "Another Show") - they even rectified the one misstep on the Free Hand Blu-Ray, which is that said videos were featured only with the stereo & 5.1 mixes. This time, you get the Atmos mix with video too.

For Gentle Giant's 1976 eighth progressive rock album conceived as a radio interview, the group pulled out all stops and in its latest incarnation so has remix guru Steve Wilson.

As great as the original QUAD remix is, Mr. Wilson has managed to expand on the original soundscape in a most delightful way.

Never has this album sounded so ALIVE!

A solid 10 from me!
The quad they released in 2012 was actually a "triad": two channels (cannot remember if front or rear) were identical, only phase shifted a bit.
Was this addressed now?
For Free Hand the messed up channel configuration of the quad was left messed up, for convenience I listen music from a hard disk copy so I had it corrected, but still annoying.

I ripped my blu-ray when it was delivered today, but I couldn't find the quad mix.

Edit: The first 5.1 mix has no info in the center or LFE channels.
Hi, it seems that the first 5.1 mix is indeed the quad mix. Could you check the front channels? In the 2012 mix they are identical, bit by bit. I hope it was a mistake which was corrected in this release.

Burning Shed has 7/7 as well.

It's just going to be delayed for everybody.
FYI - just got a shipment notice and tracking number from Importcds, a little over a day since switching the order from Amazon US. So, Interview is clearly not delayed for everybody but is for certain sellers. Seems pretty random to me, the question is why?

Hi, it seems that the first 5.1 mix is indeed the quad mix. Could you check the front channels? In the 2012 mix they are identical, bit by bit. I hope it was a mistake which was corrected in this release.
I don't know enough about waveforms to tell if they are identical, but they appear to be very similar, at the least.

1687363562091.png

Yep, they seem to have again used the 2012 Peter Mew master with incorrect channel assignments and too much dynamic compression. As with Free Hand, you probably won't want to bother with the quad after hearing the amazing new 5.1 & Atmos mixes.

How does this happen?
Professionals are paid money to develop a product. Where is the testing and quality control?
Fans seem to know more than the engineers about these mistakes.
Thank god mixing engineers are not in charge of making food products and medicine.

In fairness both food and medicine have external oversight which helps reduce issues.
I will wager though a flipped channel assignment has never caused e coli.

FYI - just got a shipment notice and tracking number from Importcds, a little over a day since switching the order from Amazon US. So, Interview is clearly not delayed for everybody but is for certain sellers. Seems pretty random to me, the question is why?

Indeed it is very strange, importcds is selling/shipping them on Amazon in the primary listing right now, for roughly the same price as Amazon was.

I went ahead and switched my order as well. Perhaps some outlets got early shipments?

How does this happen?
Professionals are paid money to develop a product. Where is the testing and quality control?
Fans seem to know more than the engineers about these mistakes.
Thank god mixing engineers are not in charge of making food products and medicine.
This may have been addressed elsewhere, but the notes refer to the "Original 1976 Quad mix." Does that mean the 1976 mix was the same as the 2012 mix?

This is ridiculous. What’s the point of even pre-ordering? Was going to try and wait it out but I think I’ll just cancel and order from ImportCD’s.

If I could I’d just go out to a store and pick one up but I doubt even a chain like Sunrise Records would carry it.
IMG_3046.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back