Pink Floyd - "Animals" 5.1 Surround Sound Mix (Blu-Ray & SACD editions out in September 2022!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally listened to my SACD 5.1 of Animals. I love the clarity and separation of the instruments. The very few things that bothered me were the slight ambiance of Roger's voice on Pigs on the Wing part 1 & 2, a couple of small parts of guitar solo's that don't seem to have the impact they did on the original mix. Those things I'm sure I'll get over as I listen to it more. But one thing I need to try to fix (but not sure how) is the fluttering bass at a few spots during Pigs (Three Different Ones). It sounds awful. My first thought is changing the crossover but do I adjust it on my Oppo or on my sub? Or is there another solution? Does anyone else get the fluttering from P(3DO)?
Fluttering or sub response?

I've never farted around with the crossover settings in my Oppo. Not sure if it even has one, but I guess I can check. There's a crossover setting on both my sub and my stereo receiver. I'm guessing that the receiver's setting reigns supreme since it sends the frequencies to the speakers.

I think mine is set at 70hz (maybe 80), but I'd be curious as to where other people set it.

After way too much Thick As A Brick 5.1. No problems with Animals levels. Bass was great. Did not need to adjust Yamaha A2A. All speakers read the same, because they are the same Infinity Reference. A big sub is a must to go (real) low smoothly (Polk Audio HTS 12). Yamaha player. No worry. :D

And you make all your animal deals

was playing it yesterday and my wife went:
"Who's that?"
I said PF..
She replied..."whoa, I remember PF being trippy but this just sounds downright DEPRESSING!!!!"
and I told her she was right, that RW had basically taken over the group and that is why , although a lot of people love The Wall, I basically NEVER spin it cause it's the most depressing LP ever...it's sonically incredible but totally depressing... LOL!

Because plastic. The cardboard sleeve is from a renewable resource, possible at least partially recycled material. It makes sense and I am fine with it.
But every time I take the disc in and out of the cardboard sleeve, the disc gets scratched. Only slightly but it all adds up every time. If it were in a standard BD case the disc would not be damaged every time I used it. Plastic is fine for something like this where it isn't immediately disposable, it serves a long term purpose of storing the disc safely.

I don't think we should get our hopes up for what Guthrie will do for the Wall 5.1 mix. The stereo mix is also sacrosanct, but the production of the Wall is so complicated a 5.1 mix may sound slightly different (leading to complaints) but without the freedom to change things around.
A lot of The Wall already has a 5.1 mix for the film, you know the one starring Bob Geldorf. Why would it need remixing when it already exists? All that needs doing is 5.1 mixes creating or finishing for the tracks that aren't in the film, I can't remember which they are.

A lot of The Wall already has a 5.1 mix for the film, you know the one starring Bob Geldorf. Why would it need remixing when it already exists? All that needs doing is 5.1 mixes creating or finishing for the tracks that aren't in the film, I can't remember which they are.
The songs in the movie are totally different versions than those on the album.

But one thing I need to try to fix (but not sure how) is the fluttering bass at a few spots during Pigs (Three Different Ones). It sounds awful. My first thought is changing the crossover but do I adjust it on my Oppo or on my sub? Or is there another solution? Does anyone else get the fluttering from P(3DO)?
I just assumed it was bass being produced that is lower than my sub could handle. I've heard this effect before, but rarely on my home theater system which tends to produce lower bass/sub frequencies reliably.

Just listened to the original stereo mix on the BD and it reminded me why I'm not a Pink Floyd completist: quite a lot of it isn't very good, and this album is one of them. There isn't a single good track on it for me. I'd rather listen to Atom Heart Mother. I like the Floyd that was toured live on "A Delicate Sound Of Thunder" and "Pulse" and this really isn't that at all. Maybe I'm limited to DSOTM, WYWH, The Wall, and the post Waters stuff. I suppose I ought to buy "Piper At The Gates of Dawn" for the smattering of good tracks on it.

As for the "to reduce confusion about formats" stuff in the audio setup they've done the opposite, by including both LPCM and DTS HD-MA of everything, when they will be identical since DTS HD-MA is lossless. OK so the LPCM stereo tracks are in 192KHz and the DTS HD-MA "only" 96KHz, but this was recorded in the 1970s on consoles that didn't have the frequency response for there to be anything up there. Then they compound the error by describing the DTS HD-MA tracks as being the lossy tracks for playing over Toslink! On top of that all this duplication of content means it is a dual layer BD-50, whereas if they'd just put the DTS-HD MA on it would have fitted easily on a single layer BD-25 and saved some money and the planet's resources in manufacturing.

I'll vote when I've listened to the 5.1 mix, but I'll be amazed if I give it more than a 5.

Just listened to the original stereo mix on the BD and it reminded me why I'm not a Pink Floyd completist: quite a lot of it isn't very good, and this album is one of them. There isn't a single good track on it for me. I'd rather listen to Atom Heart Mother. I like the Floyd that was toured live on "A Delicate Sound Of Thunder" and "Pulse" and this really isn't that at all. Maybe I'm limited to DSOTM, WYWH, The Wall, and the post Waters stuff. I suppose I ought to buy "Piper At The Gates of Dawn" for the smattering of good tracks on it.

As for the "to reduce confusion about formats" stuff in the audio setup they've done the opposite, by including both LPCM and DTS HD-MA of everything, when they will be identical since DTS HD-MA is lossless. OK so the LPCM stereo tracks are in 192KHz and the DTS HD-MA "only" 96KHz, but this was recorded in the 1970s on consoles that didn't have the frequency response for there to be anything up there. Then they compound the error by describing the DTS HD-MA tracks as being the lossy tracks for playing over Toslink! On top of that all this duplication of content means it is a dual layer BD-50, whereas if they'd just put the DTS-HD MA on it would have fitted easily on a single layer BD-25 and saved some money and the planet's resources in manufacturing.

I'll vote when I've listened to the 5.1 mix, but I'll be amazed if I give it more than a 5.
When I checked yesterday the BDA I received from the UK had 23GB on it, so only single layer. The PCM is 12.5GB, DTA-HD MA is 7GB and the menus etc are 3.1GB

But every time I take the disc in and out of the cardboard sleeve, the disc gets scratched. Only slightly but it all adds up every time. If it were in a standard BD case the disc would not be damaged every time I used it. Plastic is fine for something like this where it isn't immediately disposable, it serves a long term purpose of storing the disc safely.
I put my disc in one of these:
Clear Anti-Static Plastic Sleeves

I bought a package of them after I got the big Tangerine Dream box set because the CDs didn’t have any protection, they were just slid into the cardboard slots unprotected. I’ve have since used the for other sets that use that same type of storage for discs.

I finally listened to my SACD 5.1 of Animals. I love the clarity and separation of the instruments. The very few things that bothered me were the slight ambiance of Roger's voice on Pigs on the Wing part 1 & 2, a couple of small parts of guitar solo's that don't seem to have the impact they did on the original mix. Those things I'm sure I'll get over as I listen to it more. But one thing I need to try to fix (but not sure how) is the fluttering bass at a few spots during Pigs (Three Different Ones). It sounds awful. My first thought is changing the crossover but do I adjust it on my Oppo or on my sub? Or is there another solution? Does anyone else get the fluttering from P(3DO)?
I get the fluttering as well. It's annoying because the rest sounds so damn good. 🥃 🥃

I put my disc in one of these:
Clear Anti-Static Plastic Sleeves

I bought a package of them after I got the big Tangerine Dream box set because the CDs didn’t have any protection, they were just slid into the cardboard slots unprotected. I’ve have since used the for other sets that use that same type of storage for discs.
That's when I bought a package, too. Now all of them are used for discs is box sets.
For the Animals BD I don't need a sleeve. All I have been doing since the first time I tried to take the disc out is this:

1) Hold the right side of the cardblard box up horizontally with your right hand fingers and thumb touching the top and bottom so that the slot faces the ground.
2) Press the cardboard with your fingers and thumb slightly so that the slot opens a little like a mouth.
3) Place your other hand under the slot because gravity will make the disc slid out (without being scratched because the surfaces of the disc will not touch the inside of the cardboard in the process) and no fingerprints.
Voila.

Last edited:
When I checked yesterday the BDA I received from the UK had 23GB on it, so only single layer. The PCM is 12.5GB, DTA-HD MA is 7GB and the menus etc are 3.1GB
Visually inspecting the hub of my BD I can see it is dual layer construction. Maybe needlessly so.

Back