Pink Floyd - "Animals" 5.1 Surround Sound Mix (Blu-Ray & SACD editions out in September 2022!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alright folks, this thread is back. If you are annoyed that your post got deleted, sorry.

We cannot have politics fester here at QQ, this is not the place for it. I know we all have opinions and that's fine and that's great, but keep the opinions here about Roger's music and his failure to put out surround discs. His political feelings really should not have to be discussed here, no matter how strongly you may feel for or against him.

There is enough bullshit in the world here in this horrible year of 2020, we don't need a viral infection here at QQ.

If you disagree with this point of view, well, tough. That's the way it is. OK?

So the state of play is that Waters got Guthrie to do a surround mix, but Gilmour wanted Jackson to do it (but I'm not sure if he's had a go at it). So it's a stalemate as neither can agree, and Mason can't persuade either of them to just agree on ANY 5.1 mix & release.

Is this about it as of now?

So the state of play is that Waters got Guthrie to do a surround mix, but Gilmour wanted Jackson to do it (but I'm not sure if he's had a go at it). So it's a stalemate as neither can agree, and Mason can't persuade either of them to just agree on ANY 5.1 mix & release.

If that's so, I hope Gilmour wins the stalemate. Guthrie's 5.1 mixes have underwhelmed me.

If that's so, I hope Gilmour wins the stalemate. Guthrie's 5.1 mixes have underwhelmed me.
Maybe the way out is to get someone else who has no previous history with the band. I'd be happy if Steven Wilson had a go - I'd just like to see SOMEONE do it before we all go the way that the dogs did on the album.

Maybe the way out is to get someone else who has no previous history with the band. I'd be happy if Steven Wilson had a go - I'd just like to see SOMEONE do it before we all go the way that the dogs did on the album.
Yes! Wilson could do an Atmos mix of Animals. That would be fun I think.

If I could read David's mind, I believe he's thinking,
Your attitude broke up one of the greatest bands ever
Then you suit us for the name and control
You lost that.
Now shut up and let me and Nick decide where anything goes from here on.
RIP Richard

And I don't blame him. :p

Last edited:

Gilmour had Jackson do 5.1's of Meddle and Obscured By Clouds for the Early Years set, but Waters found out and canned them at the last minute. So I guess he's 'returning the favor' by blocking the Waters/Guthrie-led Animals release? It's a ridiculous state of affairs.

Yes! Wilson could do an Atmos mix of Animals. That would be fun I think.
If Wilson did the multichannel of Animals, we would all start lobbying for him to redo DSOTM and WYWH! Now...wouldn’t that be grand? :p

So how about doing a double shot and release both the Guthrie and Jackson 5.1 mixes on one blurry disc along with a high Rez stereo version and an original mix too? Win win for everyone then.

Gilmour had Jackson do 5.1's of Meddle and Obscured By Clouds for the Early Years set, but Waters found out and canned them at the last minute. So I guess he's 'returning the favor' by blocking the Waters/Guthrie-led Animals release? It's a ridiculous state of affairs.
I missed the boat on getting an Early Years set extracted Meddle 5.1 but did hear a DTS CD copy and One of These Days sort of sounded messy, while Pillow of Winds was sublime, did anyone else who extracted the original Meddle 5.1 have that experience?

I missed the boat on getting an Early Years set extracted Meddle 5.1 but did hear a DTS CD copy and One of These Days sort of sounded messy, while Pillow of Winds was sublime, did anyone else who extracted the original Meddle 5.1 have that experience?

Yeah, there's a bit of a gaffe in "One Of These Days" where the bass & drums suddenly drop in volume after the part where the bass bounces around the room. It can be fixed if you rip the disc and play with the levels in a DAW. The mix feels a bit piercing at times, but I loved Jackson's choices for placing the instruments. It's too cool when the rears suddenly active halfway through "San Tropez".

The original quad mix from the Pompaii film is the mix you want for One of These Days!

Thanks for the link .

Too bad it's gotten somewhat petty between the existing members.

If they can't come to an agreement for the fans on what album/s should be released in surround......., I suppose the best we can hope for are their solos in surround.

Rog and Dave are two grumpy old men, and that's basically all it comes down to and I don't see that improving. I'm just thankful they were able to put it aside one last time at Live8 for the fans. Have to say, I never understood the thing with people taking one's "side" over another. It's a bit naff, but I digress.

The solo albums would be wonderful - most notably, DG's S/T solo album, Pros & Cons, and I'd personally like to hear Broken China or Wet Dream in surround. On a side note, the Unicorn albums that Gilmour produced and played on would be stunning if they were willing to do surround mixes. The recent remasters are extremely well done.

So how about doing a double shot and release both the Guthrie and Jackson 5.1 mixes on one blurry disc along with a high Rez stereo version and an original mix too? Win win for everyone then.

Even better in my mind is to release seperate versions and let the fans select which one they want to own.... that would provide a good barometer for which engineer and style surround enthusiast prefer. And sorry, I would not want to see Wilson do this mix, while his sonics are excellent, his creativity in using the surroundscape often lacks, IMO. One other side note, if an Atmos was done, then they would have to go back and do the same for DSOTM and WYWH - so I don't see that happening.

Back