Pink Floyd - "Animals" 5.1 Surround Sound Mix (Blu-Ray & SACD editions out in September 2022!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And sorry, I would not want to see Wilson do this mix, while his sonics are excellent, his creativity in using the surroundscape often lacks, IMO.

I don't agree with the above, but can you point to other examples of mix work that you feel does provide the proper amount of creativity in the soundscape?

The solo albums would be wonderful - most notably, DG's S/T solo album, Pros & Cons, and I'd personally like to hear Broken China or Wet Dream in surround. On a side note, the Unicorn albums that Gilmour produced and played on would be stunning if they were willing to do surround mixes. The recent remasters are extremely well done.
Wasn't Broken China released in a lossy surround format? I know i have a MC rip of it. An upmix maybe?

I don't agree with the above, but can you point to other examples of mix work that you feel does provide the proper amount of creativity in the soundscape?
The most obvious are the two currently available DSOTM mixes. I am also digging many of the 70's quad releases which go beyond bass / drums & lead vocals up front - in other words "performance space" layout versus immersion based layout. I like movement in a mix,Wilson does this, but I believe it could be extended - and other engineers seem to make use of the immersion aspect and movement on a deeper level. Pink Floyd have two excellent engineers in their camp, use them - their is plenty of other catalogue releases for Wilson to lay his hands on.

The most obvious are the two currently available DSOTM mixes. I am also digging many of the 70's quad releases which go beyond bass / drums & lead vocals up front - in other words "performance space" layout versus immersion based layout. I like movement in a mix,Wilson does this, but I believe it could be extended - and other engineers seem to make use of the immersion aspect and movement on a deeper level. Pink Floyd have two excellent engineers in their camp, use them - their is plenty of other catalogue releases for Wilson to lay his hands on.
While I also can appreciate the style of many 70s mixes, I think you are in the minority here, especially when you put Guthrie's DSOTM mix toward the top of the list. It certainly isn't a "performance space layout" as you describe it. The Parsons mix is, however.

I would point to many of the Tull mixes by Wilson, the Dukes Psuroundabout Ride, as well as some of his solo/Porcupine Tree releases as falling into the style you like.

Even better in my mind is to release seperate versions and let the fans select which one they want to own.... that would provide a good barometer for which engineer and style surround enthusiast prefer. And sorry, I would not want to see Wilson do this mix, while his sonics are excellent, his creativity in using the surroundscape often lacks, IMO. One other side note, if an Atmos was done, then they would have to go back and do the same for DSOTM and WYWH - so I don't see that happening.
WAY WAY WAY TOO EXPENSIVE a project for a record label to do......it would be easier and less expensive to put all available mixes in one box IMHO :D.......Also if the Artists/Record Company's could/would just listen to the BUYING PUBLIC and stop filling all these box sets with useless re-printed memorabilia and just release the box sets with just the DISCS THEMSELVES and maybe a HARD COVER BOOK, and then maybe have a SUPER LIMITED #'ed EDITION with LEATHER BOUND CASE or something like that or even a SIGNED EDITION.....there is where they could actually make a TON OF $$.....they would save a bunch of $$ and be able to sell more at a reasonable price........just for example check out how Rhino do their Quadio sets

It would be SUPER EASY to do......listen up Artists/Record Company's!!!

Lets just say you are planning to do a QUADIO LIKE BOX SET of Animals, Dark Side, Wish You Where Here, The Wall and a RE-MIX of Meddle.....

Release a minimalist version with just the discs only

Then for the ones who want to read all about the different Albums/Mixes etc....produce one with a Hard Cover Book

Then for the HARD CORE collectors who have BIG $$$ to splurge on something SUPER SPECIAL and RARE and GUARANTEED LIMITED.....a signed edition with the same book bound in leather & plexi-glass slip cover.....now there is where you'd make your BIG BUCKS :D:love::SB(y)

You'd then be able to RECOUP your losses on the MINIMALIST edition with the 2 other sets

That goes for all Artists/Record Companies

Last edited:
WAY WAY WAY TOO EXPENSIVE a project for a record label to do......it would be easier and less expensive to put all available mixes in one box IMHO :D.......Also if the Artists/Record Company's could/would just listen to the BUYING PUBLIC and stop filling all these box sets with useless re-printed memorabilia and just release the box sets with just the DISCS THEMSELVES and maybe a HARD COVER BOOK, and then maybe have a SUPER LIMITED #'ed EDITION with LEATHER BOUND CASE or something like that or even a SIGNED EDITION.....there is where they could actually make a TON OF $$.....they would save a bunch of $$ and be able to sell more at a reasonable price........just for example check out how Rhino do their Quadio sets :SB :D(y)
sorry for all the updates to my latest post, but I though it to be important messages :D

Gilmour had Jackson do 5.1's of Meddle and Obscured By Clouds for the Early Years set, but Waters found out and canned them at the last minute. So I guess he's 'returning the favor' by blocking the Waters/Guthrie-led Animals release? It's a ridiculous state of affairs.
Don't forget that Waters has been asking to promote his solo work on the Pink Floyd website (as Gilmour and Mason do), and was re-buffed. I think that's more important to Waters than the Animals 5.1 release and I wouldn't be surprised if that was tied up in the negotiations as well. In a recent interview Waters seemed particularly annoyed that Polly Samson gets to have her work promoted on PinkFloyd.com.

sorry for all the updates to my latest post, but I though it to be important messages :D
They could throw in the Quad Mix of Atom Heart Mother while they're at it. Amazingly every Pink Floyd studio release from 1970 to 2014 has been mixed in surround EXCEPT The Final Cut (and possibly The Wall; it was mixed in 5.1 for the film and and the album may have been attempted). That could be a heck of a box set.

If I could read David's mind, I believe he's thinking,
Your attitude broke up one of the greatest bands ever
Then you suit us for the name and control
You lost that.
Now shut up and let me and Nick decide where anything goes from here on.
RIP Richard

And I don't blame him. :p
I do. He took a great band and made it really boring.

Honestly, if anything released under the Floyd banner since Final Cut had halfway decent lyrics, it would maybe be forgivable. But the sad fact is that the end product has been painfully weak . My wife -- literally -- can write better lyrics than Polly Samson or Dave or whoever came up with the doggerel that was on Momentary Lapse or Division Bell. I find them unlistenable due to the wasted potential. Great sounds going nowhere.

Dave is a phenomenal guitarist and a solid arranger. But it's not enough. There's no emotion in it at all. It's lifeless to me. Apparently, having something lyrically compelling wasn't a priority for him or there was nobody willing or able to tell him that this mattered. He could've hired someone. It frustrates me to no end.

Roger may be the crankiest bastard in the world. But at least he's not dull.

Don't forget that Waters has been asking to promote his solo work on the Pink Floyd website (as Gilmour and Mason do), and was re-buffed. I think that's more important to Waters than the Animals 5.1 release and I wouldn't be surprised if that was tied up in the negotiations as well. In a recent interview Waters seemed particularly annoyed that Polly Samson gets to have her work promoted on PinkFloyd.com.

I imagine that David wouldn't be thrilled hosting Roger's typical promotional posters declaring himself "The creative genius of Pink Floyd". ;)

Well, that changed yesterday. Water's birthday was announced in PF social media and his concert release was briefly mentioned as well. Maybe there's some hope to an agreement now

I do. He took a great band and made it really boring.
We'll have to agree to disagree on that.
That's exactly the way I feel about all of Waters solo work, it sucks.
Also David's solo work is head and shoulders above Roger's stuff.
In a recent interview Waters seemed particularly annoyed that Polly Samson gets to have her work promoted on PinkFloyd.com.
Good, after everything he put the band thru with his legal maneuvers and such, he doesn't deserve the time of day from "Pink Floyd"

That's exactly the way I feel about all of Waters solo work, it sucks.
Also David's solo work is head and shoulders above Roger's stuff.
We will definitely have to agree to disagree.

I have at least tried to enjoy the later stuff without letting my views on their personal beef cloud my assessments. I don't really care about anybody's politics. I just want interesting music.

Endless River struck me as solid, if not terribly compelling. I'd put Amused to Death in that same bucket. I thought Is This the World We Really Want was right up there with The Final Cut. But that's about it. None of the post-breakup stuff as PF or solo acts has done anything for me other than those three. I have tried . . .

Last edited:
Well, that changed yesterday. Water's birthday was announced in PF social media and his concert release was briefly mentioned as well. Maybe there's some hope to an agreement now
We can only hope that's a meaningful sign... Jon Carin complained about the birthday thing (and the people running Pink Floyd social media in general), so maybe there's been a change.

Back