Pink Floyd - "Animals" 5.1 Surround Sound Mix (Blu-Ray & SACD editions out in September 2022!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The worst part is that this was held up because of the liner notes and I'd wager that none of really give crap one way or the other about them. We just wanted the music. To hell with the liner notes and caring who did what. It should be all about the music.
Wasn't there 100 page's of this talk before the release?

I have been trying to get the DSOTM disc for years but it is always out of print or sold out, or only available at a ridiculous price.Thank you. I waited a long time for this but a few more days (hopefully) won't kill me.
You have a lot more patience than me.
I was ripping the shipping envelope open before I even got in my front door.

Oswego hun? Back in the 1960s I was at the dragstrip there every weekend with my buddies racing our B-Gas 1957 Ford.
Then early 70s I was working for Romeo Palamides, touring with his jet cars and we blew down their old timing shack with our Untouchable large dragster style jet car. LOL
God those were some fun days !!!

HYPERSONIC-BRIAN-MURPHY2.jpeg

UNTOCHABLE-FLAMES-OF-LINE_l.jpg

So....I will certainly need more listens. But my first impression is that while it's no 10, it's not bad either. It does have some wonderful moments, the intro to "Sheep" for example is a highlight. Rick's electric piano is in stereo in the rears while Roger's (or is it Dave's) bass is in front of you.....meanwhile birds chirp and sheep bleat all around you. The album starts out in stereo. I don't think there's any rear channel activity on "Pigs On the Wing (part one)". When "Dogs" begins the soundstage opens right up. There's a nice spread of instruments all around. However when the full band kicks in the mix starts to feel a bit too conservative. But soon enough rears start to kick in again. I was afraid that "Pigs (Three Different Ones)" would be a major disappointment because the rockier tracks on Amused to Death had the least adventurous mixes. But there is some cool stuff going on there. At times Guthrie fills the surround field quite nicely, at other times I wish he had been a bit more aggressive.
Only one listen in, but my thoughts pretty much align with yours. "Dogs" starts out really promising with the acoustic guitars fading in from rear-to-front as they shift from wet-to-dry (really cool!), but once the full band comes in it's mostly vocal delays back there. I did like when the toms came further out into the room during the first guitar solo though. In general, the rears seem to be reserved primarily for synths and vocal effects - I would've liked to hear some harmony vocals and guitars coming from behind, particularly during the part with the multiple harmonizing guitars at around 3:40.

I'm sure most people will be happy enough with the single disc Blu-Ray edition (or the SACD if that is your preferred format of choice.)
However, just a heads up that the deluxe edition has dropped to $56 on amazon: Pink Floyd - Animals (2018 Remix) - Amazon.com Music

So you know what I say? I say SUCK IT, REVOLVER!

:SB
Does anyone know if the included DVD in the box set contains a bona fide LOSSLESS DVD~A 5.1 remix or just LOSSY DTS [or DD 5.1]?

I finally read them and I get them sticking in Gilmour's craw. They're practically fawning over the genius of Roger Waters. They sound like they were written by the President of the Roger Waters Fan Club. No wonder Roger thinks they're wonderful. His ego is the size of Montana. Gilmour's is too, which is why he hated them.
Yeah. Just read them for the first time and I share this view. A better journalist could have easily struck a middle ground. Pray for Peace.

I would like to know what the hell changed since the DSOTM fiasco cause this is a top notch MCH mix... I mean, I don't blame JG for the DSOTM non existent mix , so I am guessing DG, RW and NM sorted something out
Maybe he just got better at it and more confident in his decisions from experience gained in the interim. He wouldn't be very good at his job if he got worse the more he did it. ;)

Saw this mentioned at the other forum:

Easter Egg alert: Click on the pig right before it floats off the screen for a special Easter Egg…….

Snowy White solo version of "Pigs on the Wing"

But note, I have not confirmed this, could be a troll?

Last edited:
Saw this mentioned at the other forum:

Easter Egg alert: Click on the pig right before it floats off the screen for a special Easter Egg…….

Snowy White solo version of "Pigs on the Wing"

But note, I have not confirmed this, could be a troll?
Yeah, I'm going to have to say it's a troll job. I checked all the .m2ts files yesterday and it's not there. Here's a list of what is there:
Album in PCM, Album in DTS-HD, Menu Part 1 (5 min), Menu Part 2 (4 min), Menu Part 3 (4 min), 5.1 set-up test tones and speaker identification, Blu-ray Credits, James Guthrie's Production house end credit video.

After converting the stereo remix to .wav (96 kHz because my editor can't do 192 kHz), here's the waveform of the whole thing:

Animals_Remix_Waveform.png

Here's just Pigs:

Pigs_Remix_Waveform.png

Every album should be mastered like this, there's plenty of dynamic range and the louder parts not "hammered" but filling up the range nicely!
And below is the spectrum analysis on the lowest bass pedal note in Pigs...

That's a loud 32.7 Hz fundamental!

Also of note is that the supersonic range above 20 kHz is pretty clean except for a small blip at 30 kHz. There's even a little bit of musical energy up there at times. This can't be said for many if not most so-called "hi-res" releases. With most of these, I convert them to 48kHz to get rid of the supersonic garbage. This one, I think I'll keep at 96. (IMHO 192 is ridiculous and a waste of space).

Animals_Remix_Pigs_Bass_Pedal.png

Here's the spectrum at the same 6:26 spot in Pigs Original Mix:

Animals_Original_Pigs_Bass_NoPedal.png

No sign of the bass pedal notes here.

Interestingly, the bass note here is 65.3 Hz. Divide that by 2 and you get 32.65 Hz.

That raises an interesting question: Was there a bass pedal track on the master tape that was never used before? Or did Mr. Guthrie use a bass extension plugin during the remix to add those notes in an octave lower?

Here's the spectrum at the same 6:26 spot in Pigs Original Mix:

View attachment 83668

No sign of the bass pedal notes here.

Interestingly, the bass note here is 65.3 Hz. Divide that by 2 and you get 32.65 Hz.

That raises an interesting question: Was there a bass pedal track on the master tape that was never used before? Or did Mr. Guthrie use a bass extension plugin during the remix to add those notes in an octave lower?
Octave doubler, I'm sure, whether hardware or software.

Back