Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band 50th Anniversary Reissue (with 5.1 surround mix)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder how many home systems have support for D Atmos. Like 4k that feature is still in its infancy if it ever really takes off.

A lot more than have Quad systems. Far more ;)

This forum is not A/V focused, obviously and neither is SHF.

Sites like AVS, Audioholics, Home Theater Forum, Home Theater Shack etc., are the places to look for 4K and Dolby Atmos adoptees.
Fact is the availability of 1080 displays has been nil since the Xmas Shopping Season of 2015.
4K displays are the mainstream and have been for some time.

4K content is growing as well. Amazon, Netflix & DirecTV all have 4k content.

Atmos adoption is behind but more and more content has been released with an Atmos soundtrack.

Dolby Vision theaters are growing at a regular rate as well.

Elusive Disc is taking pre-orders for the George Harrison and Sgt. Peppers turntables from Pro-Ject. They ship in June 2017.
Limited editions - 1,000 of the Sgt Peppers turntables worldwide and 500 of the George Harrison turntables in the US.

View attachment 29203

http://www.elusivedisc.com/Pro-Ject...al-Edition-Turntable/productinfo/PROTT2XPSGT/
http://www.elusivedisc.com/Pro-Ject...al-Edition-Turntable/productinfo/PROTTESS3GH/
http://www.elusivedisc.com/Pro-Ject...l-Edition-Turntable/productinfo/PROTTESS3SGT/
My George Harrison TT shipped yesterday and should arrive soon. I wish I had known that a Beatles TT was right around the corner. Would have held off for that one instead.

A lot more than have Quad systems. Far more ;)

This forum is not A/V focused, obviously and neither is SHF.

Sites like AVS, Audioholics, Home Theater Forum, Home Theater Shack etc., are the places to look for 4K and Dolby Atmos adoptees.
Fact is the availability of 1080 displays has been nil since the Xmas Shopping Season of 2015.
4K displays are the mainstream and have been for some time.

4K content is growing as well. Amazon, Netflix & DirecTV all have 4k content.

Atmos adoption is behind but more and more content has been released with an Atmos soundtrack.

Dolby Vision theaters are growing at a regular rate as well.

SHF is definitely AV focused. There's an entire section devoted to audio hardware.

In Canada and elsewhere in the world you can still buy 1080 sets. Here Best Buy still has them, but agree, 4K is the format "du jour" at least until 7k becomes the standard. :)

The problem with these standard is they just aren't worth the upgrade and mainstream consumers shun them until they are forced to upgrade due to obsolescence (AKA built-in obsolescence). Is Dolby Atmos going to add to my listening pleasure? I highly doubt it.

SHF is definitely AV focused. There's an entire section devoted to audio hardware.

In Canada and elsewhere in the world you can still buy 1080 sets. Here Best Buy still has them, but agree, 4K is the format "du jour" at least until 7k becomes the standard. :)

The problem with these standard is they just aren't worth the upgrade and mainstream consumers shun them until they are forced to upgrade due to obsolescence (AKA built-in obsolescence). Is Dolby Atmos going to add to my listening pleasure? I highly doubt it.

Sure, the MORE speakers, the MERRIER, at least in Theory. The problem with a full blown Dolby Atmos system or for that matter, 3D Auro 9.1 is matching those speakers so it forms a TRULY cohesive soundstage. Those of us with full range speakers would have to resort to bookshelf, or worse, in ceiling speakers to attain the Dolby Atmos parameters and anyone who has mismatched speakers in the front (the center doesn't PERFECTLY match the left /right fronts] will know that something would definitely be amiss when that 'cohesive' soundstage is lost.

As far as 4K TV upgrades: Since I took possession of my LG Curved OLED TV [3D capable].....I have absolutely NO qualms that everything looks better. Even some of my better replicated 3D 1080p BD~Vs look like true 4K [the Lichtmond 3Ds come to mind]

If you really want to achieve TRUE Dolby Atmos like those Hollywood sound engineers really intended it to sound.......those state of the art movie theaters are equipped with 62+ speakers and if you do the math.....Home video Dolby Atmos is but a pale imitation [7.1.....REALLY] of the movie theater experience.

So, IMO, YES to 4K and Nay to home theater Dolby Atmos!

I don't ever think Atmos will ever go mainstream at home. To difficult to install and too expensive.

I finally got the Planet Earth II and it is awesome. Not much CGI this time. However it comes with a third disc called Diary, telling stories of the photographers and their problems filming the episodes. I enjoyed Diary even more than than the episodes.

Analog two channel for the most part on SHF. Mono too, "focused" on the mix.

As far as 4K TV upgrades: Since I took possession of my LG Curved OLED TV [3D capable].....I have absolutely NO qualms that everything looks better. Even some of my better replicated 3D 1080p BD~Vs look like true 4K [the Lichtmond 3Ds come to mind]
So, IMO, YES to 4K and Nay to home theater Dolby Atmos!

The real deal with the LG OLED 4K sets is that they are better than plasma technology.
Great color, true blacks etc.

Samsung & Panasonic will soon catch up.

I have a couple of friends with spec Dolby Atmos systems and they are impressive to say the least.
Atmos is a better experience than 5.x but the fact is most folks don't care anywhere near enough to have a calibrated sound and video system but that does not mean that these improvements are frivolous or without value.
As far as "mainstream", the last survey I read said the majority of 1080 owners don't have HD content and have never had their sets calibrated.
I understand that. I've had many people over to view my systems and while they acknowledge that it looks and sounds brilliant, it's just not that important to them.
In the mainstream realm size matters and little else.
Sorry for the OT posts.
This is my last.

The real deal with the LG OLED 4K sets is that they are better than plasma technology.
Great color, true blacks etc.

Samsung & Panasonic will soon catch up.

I have a couple of friends with spec Dolby Atmos systems and they are impressive to say the least.
Atmos is a better experience than 5.x but the fact is most folks don't care anywhere near enough to have a calibrated sound and video system but that does not mean that these improvements are frivolous or without value.
As far as "mainstream", the last survey I read said the majority of 1080 owners don't have HD content and have never had their sets calibrated.
I understand that. I've had many people over to view my systems and while they acknowledge that it looks and sounds brilliant, it's just not that important to them.
In the mainstream realm size matters and little else.
Sorry for the OT posts.
This is my last.

Agree, 4K is superior from what I've seen especially on big screens such as 65" or larger and you sit 5 feet away. I'm waiting for OLED prices to drop before taking the 4K plunge. Of course I'll need a new AVR to process HDR since my fairly new 4K AVR doesn't support it.

Unfortunately, even basic surround audio is too much of an effort for the average home user. Dolby Atmos...nobody is going to install speakers in their ceiling unless they are true multichannel hobbyists with plenty of disposable income (which is a minority). There are now Atmos capable floor standing and bookshelf style speakers that fire up but that's not true Dolby Atmos. It's another format that is relegated to the theatres. Up next is Dolby Vision.

My pre-order finger is twitching again. It's a pricy release especially for the non-collector, but I guess when you do the math; 6 discs for $120 assuming US currency, that's $20 a pop. Along with the packaging, movie, booklet, posters and bragging rights when you're the first kid on the block to get the new Sgt Pepper's release. It ain't so bad....

Within You, Without You in 5.1 on a decent system will be pretty cool.

That would be the only song on the new "Pepper" I look forward to hearing in 5.1.

Just to clarify a bit "A Day In The Life " on Beatles Love is not a mashup , but full bore original. Love does have a number of Pepper's songs and yes mashups, can't remember how much "Lucy In The Sky" is provided , but those 3 tunes alone make up the best of the Pepper album, I think , anyways.
That being said , I do believe "Love " can still be had at a reasonable price , and some local vendors may still have it available , mine did up til about a year ago.

I want the Pepper box, but unfortunately must wait , wait for a reasonable price of course.

FWIW I think "Quadrophenia " was the way too costly box , only half the songs on DVDA 5.1.
At least Aqualung box set gave us 2 discs in surround - blu-ray and a dvd, one each with the quad and one in the newfound
original tracks in 5.1.

Well, all is left to discuss...is price and actual arrival date. As I've said multiple times :rolleyes: I have Pepper ordered at 2 sites.

Amazon US $125.36
It actually ships on May 24th with arrival to my house on May 26th

Bullmoose $120.97
I don't know when the moose will ship. I doubt on May 24th. Will it be on the 26th? If so, not sure when I would receive it. The 26th is a Friday, so it could also move on Saturday. Sit on Sunday somewhere.... best case scenario I suppose is arrival on Monday, May 29th.

I wonder if Amazon will eventually slip below the moose ahead of arrival date? So far, they've been stuck on $117 for a few weeks I guess.

Pre-orders for me anyways are a roll of the dice on receiving the item on time, especially Amazon. Even though I order at least a month early, usually the date gets moved back due to no stock. Frustrating​ to see it's in stock elsewhere but I'm still waiting. Never pre-ordered from BullMoose before. I'm hoping worst case scenario the 29th.

Have settled on Amazon UK for my purchase, purely on shipping to Australia. Unfortunately I'll have to wait at least a week after release for delivery, but have saved over $100 on local recommended retail prices. I wanted to buy from Burning Shed, but unfortunately despite a competitive price on the set, the shipping was 61 pounds compared to 4 pounds from Amazon. :yikes

Back