Steven Wilson The Yes Album 4CD/LP/Blu-Ray Super Deluxe box coming November 24 (with Steven Wilson Dolby Atmos mix!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do wonder why the choice was made to make the two song versions different in that regard as my understanding is that both 5.1 and Atmos are new, unless Wilson wanted to keep the same idea of what he did with the original 5.1 mix years ago. (I have that disc, but haven’t pulled it out in years and can’t even remember what he did.)
The 5.1 mix on the new Blu-Ray is the same one from 2014.

The 5.1 mix on the new Blu-Ray is the same one from 2014.
Ah... it may be coming back to me now. That was a discussion already here, wasn’t it? The fact that the sleeve says 2023 Steven Wilson 5.1 Mix, but isn’t. Thanks.
(Only doesn't he say in the notes in the booklet that comes with the new box set that he actually made a couple of small "corrections" to his 2014 5.1 mix on one or two tracks?)

(Only doesn't he say in the notes in the booklet that comes with the new box set that he actually made a couple of small "corrections" to his 2014 5.1 mix on one or two tracks?)
Yeah, on one or two tracks... “These changes are minimal, so I won’t point them out, but if you are familiar with the original 5.1 mixes, you may spot them.”

I am admittedly way too lazy to go back and figure it out.

These notes...

1000004786.jpg

On The Clap - here is the note on that track from the 2014 blu-ray set, top of Page 7 in the booklet. Quote: "The live version of 'Clap', as it appeared on the original album, was upmixed to 5.1 using the Penteo Surround system, as no multi-channel recording exists for that track."

So this 'fake surround' Clap is also the 5.1 version that appears on the new 2023 box set blu-ray. I don't hear any adjustments between the 2014 and 2023 versions of Clap on the 5.1s on the two blu-rays. As noted in the poll thread, I like both versions - the atmos and the 5.1 of Clap. In isolation, the atmos feels truer to the single instrument live concert 'reality' - but it does sorta interrupt the atmos flow, being bookended by those two wonderful atmos behemoths, YIND and ST. While the Penteo 5.1 upmix, sorta keeps the surround flow, well, flowing! All good, right?

All, most curious if anyone else is experiencing a loss of the initial note of "Yours Is No Disgrace." I have confirmed that this is the case on the Apple Music Atmos version, which I checked after speaking with an audiophile who has confirmed that this occurs on all the codecs of the Blu-ray in the new box set across two different players. Beyond that, I certainly like the new Atmos mix... but wishing for a stand alone as I have no desire for vinyl. So, anyone else noticed this approx 1/2 second cut-off at the start of Yours Is No Disgrace?

All, most curious if anyone else is experiencing a loss of the initial note of "Yours Is No Disgrace." I have confirmed that this is the case on the Apple Music Atmos version, which I checked after speaking with an audiophile who has confirmed that this occurs on all the codecs of the Blu-ray in the new box set across two different players. Beyond that, I certainly like the new Atmos mix... but wishing for a stand alone as I have no desire for vinyl. So, anyone else noticed this approx 1/2 second cut-off at the start of Yours Is No Disgrace?
Actually, YES! Annoying. On all three versions of the track on blu-ray. If I allow the track to start and then press 'previous' on the Oppo 205 remote, it 'goes back' and starts properly. I have this problem on some other blu-rays too - so it has almost become automatic to do this. But I guess it really shouldn't be. I think this was discussed on another thread at one time. Any ideas on how to 'fix', anyone?

Actually, YES! Annoying. On all three versions of the track on blu-ray. If I allow the track to start and then press 'previous' on the Oppo 205 remote, it 'goes back' and starts properly. I have this problem on some other blu-rays too - so it has almost become automatic to do this. But I guess it really shouldn't be. I think this was discussed on another thread at one time. Any ideas on how to 'fix', anyone?
Thanks for your reply... in the Apple Music case and my friends case who has the Blu-ray in hand, skipping back to the start of the track doesn't "correct" the issue. I read in great detail the other post you noted, and auto-format detection may be the culprit.. but that wouldn't explain why clicking back to the start of the track still yeilds the same result. I'll see if anyone else has the same issue, as I am leaning toward an actual problem with the release.

Thanks for your reply... in the Apple Music case and my friends case who has the Blu-ray in hand, skipping back to the start of the track doesn't "correct" the issue. I read in great detail the other post you noted, and auto-format detection may be the culprit.. but that wouldn't explain why clicking back to the start of the track still yeilds the same result. I'll see if anyone else has the same issue, as I am leaning toward an actual problem with the release.
Yikes! That is weird - skipping back definitely works for me, but if not for others that is not good. As that first blast of YIND is kind of critical! Look forward to other experiences on this one...

I just tested all my BLU RAY rips, stereo's, 5.1 and ATMOS of the 2023 The Yes Album.
At least with my rip there is no cut off of the beginning of Yours No Disgrace.
I have not tried the hard disc.
That particular track starts so abruptly, that if it was a little off, you would certainly notice.

Yet another excellent reason to offer a standalone blu-ray (corrected of course)!;)

Just ordered from Amazon at a cut price -- thanks for the headsup, SDE! Will vote when it arrives and I have a good listen.

Don't need the vinyl, though :rolleyes: .
I agree about the vinyl. Should be an option.

Anyone wanting to recoup some cost by selling the vinyl should post in the Steve Hoffman Forum classified section. There's a lot of folks over there interested in just the LP. Which is reportedly stellar: AAA from the master tapes cut by Bernie Grundman (considered a wizard by vinyl fans)- despite credits to the contrary in the booklet (which conflicting info pre-release resulted in much wailing and gnashing of the teeth on that forum).

I'm OK holding out for a standalone BD release - something without vinyl and dubious extras on CD - even if it takes another year. That will happen, if it happens, only after copies of this deluxe set pretty much sell out. Until then, I've got the 2014 deluxe set and the new Atmos on Apple Music.

Looks like I missed the 20% or it wasn’t a USA thing.
Same here, but I bought it anyway with some accumulated points.

I'm not sure how the coupon thing works, it seems to either be random or it appears when you hit a certain level or something. God knows I've given enough of my money to that company.

Back