Steven Wilson The Yes Album 4CD/LP/Blu-Ray Super Deluxe box coming November 24 (with Steven Wilson Dolby Atmos mix!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
According to the SDE site, this new package contains the following:

It features a vinyl LP, four CDs and a blu-ray audio and offers a new Dolby Atmos Mix of the 1971 album from Steven Wilson. His previous 5.1 mix and a hi-res stereo mix are also included on the blu-ray (but not the original mix of the album). On CD are two previously unreleased concerts, the instrumentals and new stereo mix (from 2014), 20 tracks of rarities and the original mix of the album (which is also on the vinyl in this set).

(Steven) Wilson shares his insights into the new mixes in the set’s sleeve notes: “For the Atmos Mix, I used my 5.1 as a starting point but found myself taking quite a different approach on some parts of the music, partly by virtue of now having the extra speakers to place the sounds in, but also because I’ve learned a few things in the nearly ten years since I first remixed the album…

So no, there aren't two 5.1 mixes - just the 2014 5.1 mix and a new Atmos mix based on the older 2014 5.1 mix. The 2014 CD/BD release is still available for much less than this new set, but if you really want the Atmos mix, vinyl and think all the bonus tracks are must have, then this new set is what you want. For me, since I already own the 2014 CD/BD set, the only thing I'm interested in is the new Atmos mix. I might be persuaded that the two live concerts plus the Atmos make it worth the high asking price but I'm waiting for reviews. Unless the performances and CD recording quality are both absolutely stellar (doubtful), I'm just not that interested in more live Yes.

That's not how I interpret what SW said. Taking his 2014 mix as a starting point doesn't mean the 5.1 auto-downmix of his Atmos mix -- the only 'new' 5.1 available here -- will be the same as the 2014.

That's not how I interpret what SW said. Taking his 2014 mix as a starting point doesn't mean the 5.1 auto-downmix of his Atmos mix -- the only 'new' 5.1 available here -- will be the same as the 2014.
I still argue that if you play the Atmos version and what comes out of the speakers in 5.1 configuration differs from what comes out of the speakers when you play the 5.1 version, then you have a new 5.1 mix by default.

I still argue that if you play the Atmos version and what comes out of the speakers in 5.1 configuration differs from what comes out of the speakers when you play the 5.1 version, then you have a new 5.1 mix by default.
I would argue that as well. I would be surprised if they were the same.

I would argue that as well. I would be surprised if they were the same.
I'd also argue they wouldn't be the same, but there's a critical distinction. The Atmos mix was designed for and intended to be played back on an Atmos system, not on a 5.1 system. Even though Atmos mixes are compatible with 5.1 and 7.1 systems, meaning you can play them and hear something, it doesn't mean that an auto down mix (or the 5.1 or 7.1 bed) will sound as good as or be what the mixing engineer intended to be heard with the Atmos mix. That's why dedicated 5.1 mixes are often included along with Atmos mixes, and why they sound different. I highly doubt that any mixing engineer, having created and tested an Atmos mix, would then go to the added trouble of playing it back on a 5.1 or 7.1 system and tweaking it if it didn't sound right. They'd be more likely to simply produce a dedicated 5.1 mix.

From the unboxing video above...

2023 5.1 Mix? 2023 Stereo Remaster? This is confusing.

It was supposed to be like this: "His previous 5.1 mix and a hi-res stereo mix are also included on the blu-ray (but not the original mix of the album)" 🤔

capture-001-22112023-103636.jpg

I listened to the Dolby Atmos mix last night on Apple Music. I almost had an out of body experience during Starship Trooper, the DA mix really is something else and I'm very much looking forward to receiving the physical media on Friday.

P.S. As an aside (because I'm not on Facebook), was there any further word on the Wembley 1978 show that is mentioned earlier within this thread? I was wondering if the guy got a response from Rhino? Thanks!

Last edited:
I can't speak for the stereo remaster, but there is no 2023 5.1 mix. The 5.1 mix included on the new Blu-Ray is the same one that was issued in 2014.
It's really irritating when the people that should be "in the know", those who write up the descriptions of the products for we schmucks buying them, don't know WTF they are talking about. It happens far too often.

My copy arrived yesterday and Amazon refunded me quite a bit on Price Order Guarantee. Not sure if others can still get for less from other outlets?
You saved $25.58 with Amazon.com's Pre-order Price Guarantee! The price of the following item decreased after you ordered, and we gave you the lowest price.

Price on order date:​
$99.98​
Price charged at shipping:​
$79.99​
Lowest price before release date:​
$74.89​
Amount to be refunded:​
$5.10 (+ $0.49 tax)​
Quantity:​
1​
Total Savings:​
$25.58​
You will automatically receive a refund of $5.59. You will receive an additional e-mail when this refund is processed.

Envious of all of you. I ordered mine from Rhino thinking it would be good to buy from the source. But we know how they can be.

Releasing on a holiday weekend was never in my favor in terms of them shipping prior to that. At best they’ll create the label next week and maybe get it out the door by the end of the week.

The Dolby Atmos mix sounds great, even on a 5.1 system. Excellent reproduction with great stereo panning and cross fades. This is the way to do a box set. I am looking forward to the various DTS-HD MA, stereo and mono mixes, not to mention vocal and instrumental mixes and live cuts.
I have zero interest in vinyl... which translates to this is NOT the way to do a box set. I would be happy with the bonus material on CD, but would prefer it all to be on Blu-ray, naturally in addition to the various immersive mixes. Thus a stand alone BD would be perfect for me, or second best is a CD + BD deluxe set.

So far I haven't been able to find too many comprehensive reviews of this box set, but the few I have read have all complained about how the blu-ray and LP are secured in the box (too tight, possibly prone to tearing when removing or putting back) and the sound quality of the live material is not great - maybe a little better than typical bootlegs. Considering that all of the audio in this box could have been placed on a single blu-ray (especially at CD quality), the inclusion of an unwanted/unnecessary vinyl remaster, and no high resolution flat transfer of the original mix - the 2014 Panegyric release is arguably more definitive than this one. Rhino/Warner could have done a lot better, and for less money.

Back