What are YOUR Top 10 Albums 1960-1979?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1) III - Led Zeppelin
2) Billion Dollar Babies – Alice Cooper
3) Exile On Main St. – The Rolling Stones
4) Houses Of The Holy – Led Zeppelin
5) Diamond Dogs – David Bowie
6) Honky Chateau – Elton John
7) Abbey Road – The Beatles
8) Killer – Alice Cooper
9) Caribou – Elton John
10) Some Girls – The Rolling Stones

It's hard to tell if we're all a bunch of progressive rock fans, or if that's just what was big in the 1970s.

Also, I don't see a prohibition on live albums in the original post, so with that:

Genesis - Trick of the Tail
Gentle Giant - Playing the Fool
Yes - Yessongs
ELP- Welcome Back My Friends...
Mike Oldfield - Ommadawn
Jesus Christ Superstar (Studio Version)
Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick
Mike Oldfield - Exposed
Bruford - One of a Kind
and....uh...I don't know... The Monkees "Head" soundtrack (there's a 50-way tie for #10)

Interestingly, The Beatles are my favorite band of all time, but there isn't any one album of their's that qualifies as one of my 10 favorites.

LOL! Well, progressive seems to be where a lot of the awesome hi-rez material is at. And...this is a QUAD forum...so, yep. Nice list by the way. I also like the Monkees HEAD.....cool choice.

It's hard to tell if we're all a bunch of progressive rock fans, or if that's just what was big in the 1970s.

Also, I don't see a prohibition on live albums in the original post, so with that:

Genesis - Trick of the Tail
Gentle Giant - Playing the Fool
Yes - Yessongs
ELP- Welcome Back My Friends...
Mike Oldfield - Ommadawn
Jesus Christ Superstar (Studio Version)
Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick
Mike Oldfield - Exposed
Bruford - One of a Kind
and....uh...I don't know... The Monkees "Head" soundtrack (there's a 50-way tie for #10)

Interestingly, The Beatles are my favorite band of all time, but there isn't any one album of their's that qualifies as one of my 10 favorites.

Also..WOW! Jesus De Priest....superstar. Brings back memories. My parents had that LP and I used to LOVE it. Listened to it over and over and over.

• Beach Boys 20/20
  • Alice Cooper Billion Dollar Babies
  • Jan & Dean Ride The Wild Surf
  • Russo: Street Music, Three Pieces for Blues Band and Orchestra, Gershwin: An American in Paris Ozawa Siegal-Schwall Band SF Symphony
  • Chambers Brothers The Time Has Come
  • CCR 1st
  • Kinks Something Else
  • Boyce & Hart It's All Happening On The Inside
  • Waylon Jennings / Willie Nelson / Jessie Colter / Tompall Glaser Wanted: The Outlaws
  • Edgar Winter Band They Only Come Out At Night

(not necessarily in this order) (subject to change at any time with or without notice)

My definition of "Top" for this list is the ones I return to the most, not necessarily what influenced me the most, or what I listened to the most when I first got it. Some things are burned into my mind, like London Calling, or Beatles songs. I can hear that Clash album without playing it. I guess it should make the list but if I thought too much about it the list would never happen. The Beatles if condensed to one album of my favorites would be #1, but I don't return to whole albums of theirs very often.

In no particular order:

Big Star - Radio City
Television - self titled
The Rolling Stones - Exile on Main Street
The Beach Boys - Sunflower
ELO - A New Worlds Record
Cheap Trick - In Color
Krafwerk - Autobahn
Led Zepplin - Physical Graffiti
Elvis Costello - My Aim Is True
The Stooges - Fun House

My definition of "Top" for this list is the ones I return to the most, not necessarily what influenced me the most, or what I listened to the most when I first got it. Some things are burned into my mind, like London Calling, or Beatles songs. I can hear that Clash album without playing it. I guess it should make the list but if I thought too much about it the list would never happen. The Beatles if condensed to one album of my favorites would be #1, but I don't return to whole albums of theirs very often.

In no particular order:

Big Star - Radio City
Television - self titled
The Rolling Stones - Exile on Main Street
The Beach Boys - Sunflower
ELO - A New Worlds Record
Cheap Trick - In Color
Krafwerk - Autobahn
Led Zepplin - Physical Graffiti
Elvis Costello - My Aim Is True
The Stooges - Fun House

I love it....Cheap Trick is on your list....they are my home town boys. They used to play campus at University of Illinois back in the late 70's......

• Beach Boys 20/20
  • Alice Cooper Billion Dollar Babies
  • Jan & Dean Ride The Wild Surf
  • Russo: Street Music, Three Pieces for Blues Band and Orchestra, Gershwin: An American in Paris Ozawa Siegal-Schwall Band SF Symphony
  • Chambers Brothers The Time Has Come
  • CCR 1st
  • Kinks Something Else
  • Boyce & Hart It's All Happening On The Inside
  • Waylon Jennings / Willie Nelson / Jessie Colter / Tompall Glaser Wanted: The Outlaws
  • Edgar Winter Band They Only Come Out At Night

(not necessarily in this order) (subject to change at any time with or without notice)

Nice to see Creedence Clearwater Revival on your list and especially pleased to see the Chamber Brothers get mentioned...Time Has Come Today is a great song and a personal favorite of mine

Great thread, I love the responses!

I started jotting down artists and albums for a list two days ago and came up with a humongous list. So I started narrowing it down and was thinking that the titles I had chosen kind of fell into two categories. Interestingly I found that except for three titles which made both *, I had two entirely different lists.

A) Titles that I played the shit out of, and were my definite favorites back during that time period.
B) Titles that now, in retrospect, are what I feel is truly deserving of my top ten. (I'm guessing this is probably the list that Linda had in mind at the start of the thread).

Now I know whenever we have threads of "Top Ten" or whatever, that someone always exceeds the limit. Well, I guess I'll be that guy this time and include my second list just for fun. :eek::eek:

I'm going to start with list B:

1) Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here *
2) The Who - Who's Next *
3) Led Zeppelin - II
4) Dire Straits (self titled) *
5) The Rolling Stones - Let It Bleed
6) CSN&Y - Deja Vu
7) Traffic - Mr. Fantasy
8) Jethro Tull - Minstrel In The Gallery
9) Cream - Disraeli Gears
10) Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experienced

11) Bob Marley - Exodus
12) Elton John - Madman Across The Water
13) The Beatles - Abbey Road
14) Big Brother & The Holding Company - Cheap Thrills
15) Santana - Abraxas
16) Jefferson Airplane - Surrealistic Pillow
17) Frank Zappa - One Size Fits All
18) Robin Trower - Bridge of Sighs
19) Roxy Music - Stranded
20) Patti Smith - Horses

Just for fun, this is my list A:

1) Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here *
2) The Who - Who's Next *
3) Dire Straits (self titled) *
4) The Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers
5) Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti
6) The Guess Who - American Woman
7) Golden Earring - Moontan
8) David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust
9) Bad Company (self titled)
10) Rush - A Farewell To Kings

11) Boston (self titled)
12) CCR - Cosmos Factory
13) Black Sabbath - Paranoid
14) Frank Zappa - Apostrophe
15) Jethro Tull - Aqualung
16) Three Dog Night - Naturally
17) Blue Oyster Cult - Secret Treaties
18) Van Halen (self titled)
19) Eagles - Hotel California
20) UFO - Lights Out

So many great ones that didn't make the cut, however I see a few of them on other members lists. (y)

Dennis

Ok I'll give this a try. My tastes are constantly changing especially since I now collect almost entirely 5.1 music. But here goes.
1-Rod Stewart Never a Dull Moment
2 - Born To Run Springsteen
3 - madman across the Water - Elton John
4 - Genesis Selling England by the Pound
5- Avalon Bryan Ferry
6- Dark Side of The Moon pink floyd
7- Aqualung Jethro Tull
8- blonde on blonde - dylan
9- Darkness on the edge of town - Springsteen
10- Crime of the Century Supertramp

Great thread, I love the responses!

I started jotting down artists and albums for a list two days ago and came up with a humongous list. So I started narrowing it down and was thinking that the titles I had chosen kind of fell into two categories. Interestingly I found that except for three titles which made both *, I had two entirely different lists.

A) Titles that I played the shit out of, and were my definite favorites back during that time period.
B) Titles that now, in retrospect, are what I feel is truly deserving of my top ten. (I'm guessing this is probably the list that Linda had in mind at the start of the thread).
I was actually thinking about doing something like that myself! :)

I should have included Neil Young On The Beach in my list somewhere in the middle of the pack.

Yeah I have that saved as a favourite but it's not quite the same as a top 10 list.

Terrific Lists already

- 10 of my favorites

1 . Blind Faith
2. Number Five - Steve Miller Band
3. Eldorado - Electric Light Orchestra
4. Damn the Torpedoes - Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers
5. Quicksilver Messenger Service - Happy Trails / all albums 1969-1971
6. Derek and the Dominoes
7. James Gang - Rides Again / Thirds
8. Doobie Brothers - Captain and Me
9. Bachman Turner Overdrive II
10. Santana III - Everything's Coming Our Way

well, here is my attempt. I feel this is not about what is the "best" music (objective spoken), it's about what do you feel when listening to it or what memories does it bring up. So here goes (some are a bit embarrassing):

Creedence Clearwater Revival - Cosmo's Factory
Van Morrison - Moondance
Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Tarkus
Deep Purple - Made in Japan
Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Triumvirat - Illusions On A Double Dimple
Yes - Tales From Topographic Oceans
Focus - Hamburger Concerto
Queen - Queen 2
Klaus Schulze - Moondawn
Meat Loaf - Bat Out Of Hell

Five more: