What are YOUR Top 10 Albums 1960-1979?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well, here is my attempt. I feel this is not about what is the "best" music (objective spoken), it's about what do you feel when listening to it or what memories does it bring up. So here goes (some are a bit embarrassing):

Creedence Clearwater Revival - Cosmo's Factory
Van Morrison - Moondance
Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Tarkus
Deep Purple - Made in Japan
Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Triumvirat - Illusions On A Double Dimple
Yes - Tales From Topographic Oceans
Focus - Hamburger Concerto
Queen - Queen 2
Klaus Schulze - Moondawn
Meat Loaf - Bat Out Of Hell

Five more:
Scorpions - Fly to The Rainbow
Golden Earring - Moontan
UFO - Force it
Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy
Rick Wakeman - King Arthur

Very cool you mentioned Rick Wakeman:cool:

These are all favorites because I spent a lot of hours listening to them in my bedroom and a few years later, going to see some of them in concert in Portland, Oregon. Still have each and every one of these original albums in my collection.

1. Moby Grape - Debut release with the "controversial" flipping-the-bird cover that came with a sticker on the cellophane to censor
2. Electric Prunes - Debut album
3. Donovan - Barabajajal
4. Vanilla Fudge - Debut album
5. Beatles - Sgt Pepper
6. Kinks - Greatest Hits
7. CCR - Bayou Country (Loved all their stuff, but this was my first and only on vinyl - went 8-track for the others)
8. Rolling Stones - Their Satanic Majesties Request - with 3D cover
9. J Geils - Full House - Greatest Live Album Of All Time!! IMHO
10 Zeppelin - II

Hmmm... I forgot about Cream... Loved, loved, loved Disraeli Gears and Fresh Cream.

Yes! Fly to the Rainbow....awesome...

well, here is my attempt. I feel this is not about what is the "best" music (objective spoken), it's about what do you feel when listening to it or what memories does it bring up. So here goes (some are a bit embarrassing):

Creedence Clearwater Revival - Cosmo's Factory
Van Morrison - Moondance
Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Tarkus
Deep Purple - Made in Japan
Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Triumvirat - Illusions On A Double Dimple
Yes - Tales From Topographic Oceans
Focus - Hamburger Concerto
Queen - Queen 2
Klaus Schulze - Moondawn
Meat Loaf - Bat Out Of Hell

Five more:
Scorpions - Fly to The Rainbow
Golden Earring - Moontan
UFO - Force it
Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy
Rick Wakeman - King Arthur

Ten that are really close to me? Talk about skimmin' the ol' surface. But these are very, very special, in no special order:

James Brown: Live At the Apollo
Tomita: Snowflakes are Dancing (The Newest Sound of Debussy)
Beatles: Revolver (UK edition)
The Velvet Underground: White Light/White Heat
Van Morrison: Astral Weeks
Love: Forever Changes
The Doors s/t
Rod Stewart: Every Picture Tells a Story
Santana s/t (1969)
Eno: Another Green World

But the list is ever fluid, depends what I'm in the mood for.

ED :)

Ohhh the Desert Island Discs. But that refers to only one keeper... The ten I nominate ( that I couldn't live without ) 1960-1979 are :

Not in any order !

1. Mike Oldfield - Ommadawn. Breathtakingly beautiful and just ..... WOW !
2. Mike Oldfield - Hergest Ridge - On a good day it takes you away.... on a bad day .... it takes you away .....
3. The Beatles - Abbey Road - Only recently discovered and I just can't stop playing the side two medley.
4. Don McLean - Homeless Brother. Effortless lyrical prowess and musical sublimety.
5. Blondie - Parallel Lines. Powering through the cack of the late 70's. With madness on the cymbals and snares .... Love it !
6. John Martyn - Bless The Weather. - Just sounds so .......... Easy ....
7. Dexys Midnight Runners - Too - Rye - Ay - A blast from beginning to end. I can't describe this adequately. When all around was pop cack, this articulate lyrical and musical gold appeared.
8. Ian Dury And The Blockheads - New Boots And Panties !! - Really do I need to justify this one ? If you haven't heard this just do. I'll give you you're money back if it doesn't resonate your soul.
9 Sally Oldfield - Water Bearer. I've never heard anything close to the emotional rush this has. 'For you are strong like this wine, made from a warm, wild Springtime, flowing like honey in my mind'
10. This has been difficult. Trawling my music from 1960 - 1979. Then one easily pops out. Krafkwerk - Radioactivity. Could I live without it ? No. Very, very no.

Enjoy :)

Ohhh the Desert Island Discs. But that refers to only one keeper... The ten I nominate ( that I couldn't live without ) 1960-1979 are :

Not in any order !

2. Mike Oldfield - Hergest Ridge - On a good day it takes you away.... on a bad day .... it takes you away .....
3. The Beatles - Abbey Road - Only recently discovered and I just can't stop playing the side two medley.
4. Don McLean - Homeless Brother. Effortless lyrical prowess and musical sublimety.
5. Blondie - Parallel Lines. Powering through the cack of the late 70's. With madness on the cymbals and snares .... Love it !
7. Dexys Midnight Runners - Too - Rye - Ay - A blast from beginning to end. I can't describe this adequately. When all around was pop cack, this articulate lyrical and musical gold appeared.
8. Ian Dury And The Blockheads - New Boots And Panties !! - Really do I need to justify this one ? If you haven't heard this just do. I'll give you you're money back if it doesn't resonate your soul.
9 Sally Oldfield - Water Bearer. I've never heard anything close to the emotional rush this has. 'For you are strong like this wine, made from a warm, wild Springtime, flowing like honey in my mind'
10. This has been difficult. Trawling my music from 1960 - 1979. Then one easily pops out. Krafkwerk - Radioactivity. Could I live without it ? No. Very, very no.

Wow..Parallel Lines..I'm having Debbie Harry flashbacks...a great album that almost never was...so much turmoil trying to record the album in the studio...great choice

Ooops ! Dexys was 1982. Blast. Erm....

7. Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass - Going Places .... Can't think of another that makes me smile as much as this :)

Not in any order !

Love this album!! Own it on vinyl and I searched used record shops for a long time back in the late 80s until I found a copy when it was out of print. Then ripped it to AAC from vinyl before it was released on CD. Eventually bought the CD which was mastered extremely well IMO. Other than the guy who turned me on to this in 1981, I've never met anyone else who was even familiar with the album.

This "your top 10" looks like a daunting task, but I just might have to tackle it and see what I come up with.

My sister had it originally on vinyl and there was no 'Mirrors' track on it. By the time I bought it on vinyl then CD, the track had been stitched in. Was a bit jarring for the first few listens....

Love this album!! Own it on vinyl and I searched used record shops for a long time back in the late 80s until I found a copy when it was out of print. Then ripped it to AAC from vinyl before it was released on CD. Eventually bought the CD which was mastered extremely well IMO. Other than the guy who turned me on to this in 1981, I've never met anyone else who was even familiar with the album.

This "your top 10" looks like a daunting task, but I just might have to tackle it and see what I come up with.

These are the ones I like to go back to

Mike Rutherford- Smallcreeps Day
Tony Banks - A Curious Feeling
Tangerine Dream - Ricochet
Genesis - Selling England by the Pound
Pink Floyd - Wish you were here
Camel - The Snow Goose
Cockney Rebel - The Human Menagerie
Dire Straits - self titled
Tubeway Army - Are friends electric?
Genesis - The Lamb

Ian Dury nearly made it, GeezerJem mentioned that amazing album.

My sister had it originally on vinyl and there was no 'Mirrors' track on it. By the time I bought it on vinyl then CD, the track had been stitched in. Was a bit jarring for the first few listens....

Exactly my experience as well. I think "Mirrors" is a pretty decent tune and I guess it did quite well as a single release in Europe, but it just doesn't seem to fit the album's concept/theme IMO. Or maybe my brain just couldn't handle the change from that to which it was accustomed.

My apologies to Quad Linda for the thread drift, though I'm listening to it now in PLII pseudo-multichannel and it sounds lovely!

Back