Pink Floyd - "Animals" 5.1 Surround Sound Mix (Blu-Ray & SACD editions out in September 2022!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From Jon Carin's Facebook page:

Hard to imagine what it does to a person to have finished extensive, deeply detailed work on a project 5 years ago only to have it released today.
I can relate, I’ve made entire albums that have never been released, forever shelved by the legal side of music business, it happens every day.
The frustration can be debilitating.
Congrats to James Guthrie for Animals stereo & 5.1 remix finally being allowed to be released today.
Although he’s so humble, the first thing he’d say is that it’s not his work, it’s the band’s work, which is true, of course.
It’s an incredible & important album.
Nonetheless, it’s James’ amazing work that couldn’t have been done in Pro Tools with plug-ins, only hand crafted with farm-to-table bio-organic ingredients harvested during a solar flare storm and God’s in the details.
And so great of Roger to forfeit the liner notes (that he didn’t commission), so we can all enjoy this new version of Animals with renewed enthusiasm.
Every gorgeous note the band plays can be more deeply appreciated now.
And it is finally brought into the sonic realm that covers the band’s golden age from Dark Side to The Final Cut.
Go buy a copy.
And that’s coming from someone with zero financial interest in it.
You will love it.
❤️
🐖
🐕
🐑

Without going into gross detail, I finally, really and for sure, got my ears cleaned out, Been an ongoing thing for weeks, but I did not believe my hearing was compromised so badly.
Wow! What a difference in my hearing! (I blame it on the earplugs I use for mowing. "This bus be packed up tight").
Professionally or home cleaning?
I've experienced the same problems from using earplugs at the shooting range all the time. I'm sort of anal about my ear protection when shooting so I use some form of ear plugs plus a set of good earmuffs on top of them.

@boondocks @Sal1950 Agreed! An ear wash can make a huge difference! I've done it a few times at the doctor and then bought a kit online (Rhino brand I believe). Mix warmish distilled water with some Colace and you've got some stuff coming out, haha. I remember the first time I did it I felt like I was tripping because I felt like I could hear individual water droplets in the sink and shower.
Nice upgrade!

I received the Bluray from Amazon in about 3 days.....I'm with Himey in loving this mix and sound quality, just about right for rear content. Unfortunately, Acoustic Sounds sent my SACD to a property that I sold over 2 years ago. My address on their site is correct, so they are giving me the runaround to not send a replacement. I'm not driving 2 hours to ask for my mail after this elapsed time.

I preordered the sacd from AS, a Blu-ray from SDE and a Blu-ray from Amazon on the same day. The sacd arrived Saturday, the Amazon Blu-ray came Sunday and the SDE is out for delivery today. FYI only. Figured I needed a disc for upstairs, downstairs and for if I ever add on another sound room. Lol. IMHO the sacd sounds the best. Glad it got here first.

I preordered the sacd from AS, a Blu-ray from SDE and a Blu-ray from Amazon on the same day. The sacd arrived Saturday, the Amazon Blu-ray came Sunday and the SDE is out for delivery today. FYI only. Figured I needed a disc for upstairs, downstairs and for if I ever add on another sound room. Lol. IMHO the sacd sounds the best. Glad it got here first.
I got the Blu-ray and liked it so much that I ordered the sacd after a few days of listening to it. Always nice to have a second copy of something you really like in case of failures. Also, I like putting a disc on when I go to bed. Thanks to the menu, the Blu-ray will run all night or until I wake up a few hours later and fumble around in the dark for the remote to turn it off. The player will turn off automatically when the sacd reaches it's end. (My AVR has a timer so no worries there).

I wasn't really familiar with Animals as it never really resonated with me, for whatever reason, upon its' release. I never owned it but heard it a few times at a friends house back in the day.
This bluray release has changed that. Sonically, it sounds great. The 5.1 mix, though not as aggresive as I may have liked still works well. I'm very pleased with my purchase.
Regarding the sleeve the disc sits in. I, like others, am not a fan. It was solved by scanning the outside and resizing to fit a bluray shell/holder.
I did the same for a friend who purchased the bluray.

Attachments

• 20220921_122918.jpg
    20220921_122918.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
If I get approval from a moderator/admin, I am happy to attach the scanned/resized bluray sleeve should anyone want one.
I will await a yay or nay from a moderator before doing so.
Dunno how to contact a proper person of authority, so hopefully someone in authority will reply here.

EDIT: I have reached out to an admin and await a response.

Last edited:
Looks cool and I hope you didn't just throw out the original like you see some of those wing-nuts over at the SHMF say they do sometimes with stuff they "replace" with alternatives.
They ruin otherwise complete sets by doing that. Buncha weirdos.

Not Voting

Never liked the album when it came out and still don't but am glad to have it in surround.

Sonics are good, surround is good.

HUH? Why would you buy it then? I am huge QUAD and 5.1 fan but I absolutely despise The Beatles and would never even think of spending money on any of their surround releases.

HUH? Why would you buy it then? I am huge QUAD and 5.1 fan but I absolutely despise The Beatles and would never even think of spending money on any of their surround releases.
I have had albums that I enjoyed in surround that I didn't in stereo, in particular Allman Brothers "Idlewild South"(I gave it a 10).
Also I very much like more Pink Floyd than not, so had to give it a chance even after all these years.

I don't like the Beatles but don't despise them and the only Beatles surrounds I own are Abbey Road and Love. And that will be it for my Beatles collection. Also no comments on any of their releases however outrageously priced.

PS: "Get Back" might sucker me in.

Last edited:
US Blu-ray the menu says Pink Floyd Animals 2022. The menu music is 32:53, has this 5.1 menu music mix been available before?

Last edited:
Guess I'll have to add the AP SACD to my list. Unfortunately, the BD~A packaging pales in comparison. Thanks for sharing!
I just got my sacd today and the packaging was nicer but keep in mind it cost twice as much as I paid for the BR. Also, as nice as the packaging is, it is still a bastard (non-standard) size compared to standard sacd. It's about the same size as a standard DVD-A jewel case except it is about a ¼ inch taller.

I ordered all 3 versions from AP and got nothing yet, I am feeling left out.

PRODUCT INFORMATION:
=========================================================================================

Qty Item Number Price Total Item
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 ALEG 68717 $ 99.98 $ 99.98 Pink Floyd / Animals
1 CAPP 88271 SA $ 35.00 $ 35.00 Pink Floyd / Animals
1 CLEG 73193 $ 24.98 $ 24.98 Pink Floyd / Animals

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subtotal: $159.96 Tax: $15.39 S&H Cost: $11.60 ------------------
Total: $186.95

Back