4 New Quadio releases coming in June!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know...

Think of all the circus of speculating fun we'll all have til then.😉
And hopefully one of MANY threads on UPCOMING RHINO QUADIO PROJECTS.

Rhino Records - Bob Wills and his Texas Playboys - The Tiffany ...

Already working on the NEXT batch...

"So the question is- has there been a shift in attitude now by the folks at Rhino for releasing more Quad (Quadio) titles in the future and on a more regular/consistent time schedule?"

wayyy better than a random pizza delivery - for sure!!! :dance

its-true-i-mean-its-true.gif

crap ! with all this Rhino excitement, Ive forgotten about the SDE Surround Series. Lets hope the next SDE is announced soon. My credit card needs some cool down time and recharge prior to the Rhino announcement
Probably about time for a big group of Dutton Vocalion titles to drop also :ROFLMAO:

You also know this Rhino news is huge for our forum, since it now has over 500 members visiting this thread! :D

I'm curious, but skeptical.

#1 - The Warner Catalog isn't exactly teeming with available titles that spur my attention.
#2 - Blu Ray. Won't work in the car, Don't have a player at home, don't have a PC drive to rip 'em. Practically useless to me unless I go invest in a bunch of equipment.

But, on the positive side - bring it on! We need more titles!

#1 - The Warner Catalog isn't exactly teeming with available titles that spur my attention.
#2 - Blu Ray. Won't work in the car, Don't have a player at home, don't have a PC drive to rip 'em. Practically useless to me unless I go invest in a bunch of equipment.

Do you have an hdmi input on your surround receiver? I don't, so i use an oppo i got when they were new and reasonably priced, though it was a big outlay for a disc player. But if you do have a more modern receiver with hdmi input, I've been seeing Sony BD players for $5 to $40 at thrift stores. I started passing them up even for nine bucks after i got a couple for sacd rippers.

Edit: I'm hoping to see a title or more I want from this bunch. Not going to speculate, as there are quite a few possibilities.

If these are priced fairly (and I think they will be) I'm going to simply buy all of them right there and then regardless of the titles chosen because I want to support vintage quad releases on disc (along with modern surround) coming from the vaults. Warner stuff is particularly special, not just the titles, but the mixes were f'in hot as as hell too. I just hope these are not B-grade titles, but the real A-list gems.

But rolling out for us four (4) titles is really sweet. I'm the type that can play Alice or Sabbath and follow that up with Bette Midler's stunner debut when the quality is that great. Then go into the late night listening to a recent Santana Japan issued quad title.

The timing is right even if it took 40 or 50 years to get here, my 5.1 system has never sounded better.

While there are some hitless albums from WB/Reprise that were mixed into quad at the time, and failed to even garner a cult following since, there are some real winners as well. When you look at Elektra, and also Asylum we see an even richer quad history.

There are factor$ making some titles unavailable to license by outside reissue labels, some of these roadblocks simply do not exist for the label that owns the albums (WMG). And some artists that resisted new (old quad) versions issued of their hit albums can sometimes drop their objections as time rolls on. Things change as the saying goes.

But back to the main point, I think there are enough hot titles to keep the series going for the time being. It's not a bottomless pit, but there are a couple dozen A-list titles that have tapes available, quality mixes with no legal roadblocks. I'd expect that only sales expectations can make it bumpy for certain titles when the label potentially issuing them also owns the tapes.
(added)
And for those albums that are solid, and yet maybe not exactly super-hot anymore (I don't want to mention names), it would be nice to see some two-fers. Two quad albums by a single artist on one disc, with a $2.00 higher list price over the single album disc (to cover publishing). I saw a few of those artists on the WEA quad list, respected still (and even a hit single or two) but a long way from top tier titles we all are craving right now.

Last edited:
While there are some hitless albums from WB/Reprise that were mixed into quad at the time, and failed to even garner a cult following since, there are some real winners as well. When you look at Elektra, and also Asylum we see an even richer quad history.

There are factor$ making some titles unavailable to license by outside reissue labels, some of these roadblocks simply do not exist for the label that owns the albums (WMG). And some artists that resisted new (old quad) versions issued of their hit albums can sometimes drop their objections as time rolls on. Things change as the saying goes.

But back to the main point, I think there are enough hot titles to keep the series going for the time being. It's not a bottomless pit, but there are a couple dozen A-list titles that have tapes available, quality mixes with no legal roadblocks. I'd expect that only sales potential can make it bumpy for certain titles when the label potentially issuing them also owns the tapes.
Don’t forget the A in WEA - The Mighty Atlantic 👍🏼

I’m not a big Alice Cooper fan, but I did think BDD would be a possible choice as this is the 50th anniversary (I believe) and that there would be things to mark the occasion.
Most fans who have heard it I have noticed prefer that 70s quad mix over the 5.1 mix on the DVD-A from 1999.

There is a instrumental clarity on that quad mix that I find just stunning. The big hit "No More Mr. Nice Guy" might not have quite the same drive as the hit stereo mix, but the increase in clarity, spaciousness, and interesting alternate way to hear this exceptional album outweigh it's slight oddness one might notice after hearing the standard mix for so long. It's a lovely mix, so fresh, sparkly 70's Hi-Fi and fun.

Most fans who have heard it I have noticed prefer that 70s quad mix over the 5.1 mix on the DVD-A from 1999.

There is a instrumental clarity on that quad mix that I find just stunning. The big hit "No More Mr. Nice Guy" might not have quite the same drive as the hit stereo mix, but the increase in clarity, spaciousness, and interesting alternate way to hear this exceptional album outweigh it's slight oddness one might notice after hearing the standard mix for so long. It's a lovely mix, so fresh, sparkly 70's Hi-Fi and fun.
Stunning is a good word. That’s how I’ve felt about a lot of quad that I’ve bought since getting a surround system about five or so years ago.

I certainly love 5.1 and now Atmos, but some of my fondest memories are hearing a well-done quad album for the first time.

Seems like not long ago, as someone mentioned recently, we were concerned that surround was gonna die a slow death the way Quad did.
Look at the blessings we have had in both old and new releases in the past few years! Not to mention new formats like Atmos and Auro3D!

I just can't afford $200 box sets, but boy howdy (hopefully) $30 Quadio BD's is simply wondermous. Yes? Well heck yes.
Hopefully a $29.99 list price gets us $25 at retail before shipping and tax. imo that is about right, it falls at a higher priced than each of the discs in a box (Doobies), but lower than new released 5.1 mixes or the SDE stuff like the Ten Years After. See, you want them all to be picked up in one sweep by the interested buyer. $25 x 4 = $100, if you go over that you get the buyer starting to think "well I can pick up the other titles next month" but not right now. So no, these need to be snapped up, all of them at release imo.

Back