Katatonia - The Fall of Hearts DTS 96/24 Mixed by Bruce Soord

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, I'm going to say right off the bat here (I'm only one song in): The mastering is SIGNIFICANTLY quieter than Bruce's other mixes, and katatonia's other releases. On my system, on BS's other surround mixes, I'm hovering right around the -14 to -12 mark... I'm at -3 on this, and I could definitely go louder...

There's a lot of discrete surround activity, nice deep bass and subwoofer presence, and a healthy snap to the snare drum...

My initial impression is very positive

Just finished my first play-through, and I've gotta repeat Neil's sentiments: I think this is going to go down very well with everyone, and I also agree this is Katatonia's - and Bruce's - best surround mix to date. I think Bruce nailed it on this one.Way to go Bruce, Katatonia, and all of those involved! (y)
Musically, it's Katatonia, and it seems to be rather familiar territory from Dead End Kings, and Dethroned. There's a lot going on, and it needs some time to digest before I can weigh in on it, but it's defintely one I'm going to be returning to many times. And if you enjoyed the previous two, I'm confident you'll enjoy this one too.

Anyway, I'm curious to hear other's thoughts on this.

I'm really excited to hear what Katatonia fans think of this one, as I'm sure the reaction is going to be very, very positive indeed.

It's a masterful album and the really top drawer mix from Bruce tastefully enhances the excellent songwriting, that's slightly more mellow than the usual Katatonia fare.

If I'm reading the Katatonia order page correctly, the CD+DVD+V (as they list it) is sold out.

In this instance, I ordered from Amazon, and they're still showing in stock; although, when I purchased it was sitting at $14. It's gone up to about $18, now.

Discs has authoring issue. Does not play correctly.

I'm listening to mine right now. I've just ran it through dolby digital and stereo PCM, switching tracks back and forth, trying to cause a hiccup or glitch or anything. Mines operating perfectly, and this is on a very stubborn Oppo bdp 83 that needs service work desperately. No apparent problems whatsoever here...

Bummer, Keenly. Sounds like just a bad disc, not necessarily an authoring error... Did you order from burningshed, by chance?

No, from the link on first post. I have lost my receipt and deleted email.

Back