Mark Knopfler - One Deep River (SDE exclusive Blu-Ray w/Dolby Atmos, limited to 2000, April '24)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I pre-ordered it. But, I'm skeptical... How much discrete can we expect it to be? Judging from the first single listened on YouTube I feel sad... doesn't sound like music very versatile especially for Atmos. I hope I'm wrong

why do they bother making an atmos mix, when it sounds like we could just run the stereo thru dolby pro logic II, or what ever you have, and it would sound maybe as good if not better? I did order it, and at least i will enjoy it in stereo, glad to have it in hi res.

At least it is a Atmos mix, not like the Trevor Horn disc which was just 5.1. I like both singles, but the mix on the first one was better to me. The biggest letdown is that there are nothing in the SB speakers, making the presentation a little front heavy.

why do they bother making an atmos mix, when it sounds like we could just run the stereo thru dolby pro logic II, or what ever you have, and it would sound maybe as good if not better? I did order it, and at least i will enjoy it in stereo, glad to have it in hi res.
Yup... got it pre-ordered for the hi-res two channel too. Will see how the atmos sounds in a non-atmos system, but generally not the quality of a dedicated DTSMA 5.1 anyway. Our home, our ears. Maybe this will be the one exception! ~Hope~
:p Mark Knopfler: extremely talented.

Last edited:
I wonder how a person like Mark with really outstanding 5.1 mixes for his records in the past may have approved such a disappointing mix. Bummer
There's only two albums in MC, I think? Sailing to Philadelphia and Shangri-La? I only know Shangri-La and that one does not specifically stand out in my (admittedly not very extensive) collection.

I got a maybe dumb question. This is my first of his solo albums and I'm not even super duper familiar with the prior band work. I just like the way his guitar sounds which is why I figured I'd take a chance with the sde release. That said I noticed these are lovely but rather mellow songs. It has the guitar sound I like so I'll get something I enjoy regardless but I can't help but be curious with those of you who are familiar with his typical output are there likely to be a mix of songs that this pace we've been hearing as well as more higher energy or I don't know what else to call it songs or is it likely a a calm energy album through and through? Just curious what I'm going to experience I'm sure it's nice either way.

I got a maybe dumb question. This is my first of his solo albums and I'm not even super duper familiar with the prior band work. I just like the way his guitar sounds which is why I figured I'd take a chance with the sde release. That said I noticed these are lovely but rather mellow songs. It has the guitar sound I like so I'll get something I enjoy regardless but I can't help but be curious with those of you who are familiar with his typical output are there likely to be a mix of songs that this pace we've been hearing as well as more higher energy or I don't know what else to call it songs or is it likely a a calm energy album through and through? Just curious what I'm going to experience I'm sure it's nice either way.
This was my first Knopfler solo purchase, but after I made it, I saw that all his solo albums were available in two relatively inexpensive box sets, so I grabbed them. Instant Knopfler solo collection.

My take so far is that while the music can generally be restrained, it’s not just slow, ballad type songs the whole time. You get songs like Gravy Train. Or a song like Daddy’s Gone to Knoxville. (Kind of has a country/Hawaiian vibe.)

To me, this is great stuff... the guitar work is so good whether it’s a slow acoustic song, or a more mid-tempo electric guitar song. Between the stellar guitar work (even if it is low-key much of the time) and the storytelling, I’m now a big fan of Knopfler.

(The song below is not in the box sets. It’s from a separate DVD from years ago.)

Last edited:
I don't expect much in the way of rock here. The days of "Money for Nothing" and "The Bug" are long gone, and his output has been getting more and more mellow over the years but even Down the Road Wherever had a few more upbeat tracks, one of which was the first single ("Good On You Son" with its disco-ish hi-hat groove). If there was anything comparable on One Deep River, I think it would've been one of the singles.

The reviews from magazines that are coming in now also all say that it's a calm album. It's possible, though, that some surprise may be hidden among the "bonus" tracks not part of the main sequence - in the case of 2015's Tracker, there were some songs that really would've enlivened the main album: "Terminal of Tribute To", "Oklahoma Ponies" and "Hot Dog". I assume the reviewers that got early access would probably only have heard the regular 12-track album.

It’s no surprise that this is a mellow album, after all, starting with Golden Heart all of Knopfler’s solo albums have been mostly soft with a few rockers sprinkled in. I personally grew to love the mellow stuff (Done with Boneparte, Hill Farmer’s Blues, etc.). Early Dire Straits was similar, lots of quieter blues/jazz type songs.

In concert - I’ve seen him live at least half a dozen times - the mix is much more rock-oriented, with some Dire Straits mixed in. He has good soundboard recordings of many of the nights of many of his concert tours available for purchase online. Highly recommended.

Back