• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

Tears for Fears-Songs From The Big Chair - HiRez 5.1!

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

Robert van Diggele

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
That's $25 less than what I paid. Suckered once again.
Me too, well 10,00 euros in fact. But I only posted the link for people on the fench. Lately I am less concerned about the lowest price. I do like a good deal, but if I buy it at 5 or 10 euros more, for something I will be enjoying in years to come, it is peanuts.

kap'n krunch

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Hey guys! After listening to this several times, I wonder if it's just me: has anybody else noticed that the vocals on this release are very quiet?

I mean, e.g. in Mothers Talk or Shout, the main vocals - in the center channel - are almost completely buried.

I thought something was wrong with my system at first, so I went ahead and checked the waveforms of both the DTS and LPCM 5.1 tracks, and then I looked at and listened to the Boys and Girls SACD by Bryan Ferry for comparison. Center was perfectly fine.

How does the TFF BluRay sound to you in terms of center/vocals?
Precisely my point!
The voices are buried in this one,,,you can notice because, in the upmixed "Broken" the voices are THERE!!!!

colsky

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Sorry all, but I just don't get this one :confused:. I never particularly liked this band's music back in the day, but was convinced to get the Blu Ray Audio version of this after reading all of the glowing reports about the sound quality. I've heard this disc now 3 times. My opinion of the music unfortunately hasn't improved from my memory of it. Also, in my opinion, the surround mix is good, but not one of the best. Obviously there may be a subconscious element here, in the way that there must be with peoples' voting. i.e. if you are listening to one of your favourite albums then it will sound good to your ears, whereas if you are listening to music that you don't like then it won't sound as good. A little simplistic maybe, but there must be an element of truth to this. Before my last listen of Songs from the Big Chair I was listening to Porcupine Tree - Anaesthetise, and afterwards I listened to The Power and the Glory and Legend, and these other 3 sounded so much better.

I would also add 2 more comments on this. I'm not a massive fan of XTC, but I have both the Nonsuch and Drums and Wires blu rays and these sound superb to me, such that the music has improved to me and I listen to both regularly. Also, I played Songs from the Big Chair to my wife, who is a bigger fan of this album (and eighties music in general) than I am, and she wasn't wow'ed by the surround mix either.

Sorry to go against the flow of opinion on this disc. As they say opinions are like a-holes, everyones got one. And ears are like lugholes.

2014 is shortly coming to an end, and it was surely the best year so far for surround releases. The top 3 sounding discs released in this bumper year remain in my opinion as: The Yes Album, The Power and the Glory, and Legend.

timbre4

Super Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
To each his own. There is the element of your own preferences to reinforce or overcome. There is also the factor of surprise and delight because none of us saw this one coming. All of this plays into the voting.

As for the vocals, they do not seem buried to me. I played this album on DVD-A last night as the Blu Ray hasn't arrived yet.

From QQ HQ

himey

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Haven't heard this one yet but comparisons to the "Legend" disc is a tough fight for sure!

Clint Eastwood

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
To each his own. There is the element of your own preferences to reinforce or overcome. There is also the factor of surprise and delight because none of us saw this one coming. All of this plays into the voting.

As for the vocals, they do not seem buried to me. I played this album on DVD-A last night as the Blu Ray hasn't arrived yet.

From QQ HQ
My vocals are fine...with the exception of SHOUT and I can't say they are "buried"...they are just "congested" along with the other sounds....I think individual audio systems will handle it differently and either increase or decrease one's ability to hear the vocals...and I'm sure those folks will say that other discs don't have this problem on their systems...and I'm sure they are right about that....

timbre4

Super Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
I would agree that Shout is different from the rest in the sense that the vocals are competing with elements in that track. Not that many moving pieces perhaps but they do occupy space in the mix.

Perpendicular

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
I experienced absolutely no problems with any of the songs on my BD. It may be one's own system, ears and room that is most likely causing the problem of why everyone is not hearing "Shout" or any of the other songs (or, other surround discs) in the same manner.

timbre4

Super Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
I must add that playing the DVDA in the Acura last night that I needed to put the Center up two increments to get the vocal balance to my liking.

From QQ HQ

PodCat

Since 2002/2003
With regards to the Super Deluxe Edition ...

Is the UK version different from US?
I'm in the US where it's $100, but from UK it's under $60.

Also -- an Amazon review states that the version of "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" found in the set is the Urban Mix released in the UK, NOT the "very different and superior" Extended Mix released on 12" in the US in March 1985. Is this true for all editions, including BRD?

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter

AFAIK, it's exactly the same for both territories.

Failed Muso

800 Club - QQ All-Star

Also -- an Amazon review states that the version of "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" found in the set is the Urban Mix released in the UK, NOT the "very different and superior" Extended Mix released on 12" in the US in March 1985. Is this true for all editions, including BRD?
To the best of my knowledge, all box sets are identical, irrespective of territory.

With regards to EWTRTW, the CD/DVD-A box set contains the following versions...

Album Version (4m 12s) ('85 mix on CD and DVD-A, '85 & '14 stereo and '14 5.1 mixes on DVD-A only)
Single Version (4m 13s) (CD Only)
Extended Version (5m 41s) (CD Only)
Urban Mix (6m 02s) (CD Only)
Instrumental (4m 23s) (CD Only)
Live at Massey Hall (4m 19s) (CD Only)
Alternate Single Version (4m 23s) (CD Only)

The Blu Ray contains the album mix only, albeit in three different forms ('85 Stereo mix, '14 Stereo mix and '14 5.1 mix)

I think that's accurate, but it's Monday morning and I'm only on my 3rd coffee ;)

dobyblue

500 Club - QQ All-Star
Of the three new discs I've received, Reckless, Drums and Wires and Songs From the Big Chair, Songs is my fave album but my least fave 5.1 mix. That's not to say I don't like it, I just find the other 5.1 mixes (and Legend too) more natural sounding. Nigel sounds so good in 5.1, completely defies it's release year.

DocCasualty

Disc came today; actually two discs came today. They originally cancelled my order so I reordered it when I saw it was available again. I emailed them and hopefully they'll send me a shipping label and give me a refund.

Initial run through is favorable, though I'll need to listen more when I get home from a little trip over this next week.

My HFPA download code is not for this album! This happened to me with a prior HFPA purchase and the correct download eventually showed up in my account. This happen to anybody else?

cupboy

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Disc came today; actually two discs came today. They originally cancelled my order so I reordered it when I saw it was available again. I emailed them and hopefully they'll send me a shipping label and give me a refund.

Initial run through is favorable, though I'll need to listen more when I get home from a little trip over this next week.

My HFPA download code is not for this album! This happened to me with a prior HFPA purchase and the correct download eventually showed up in my account. This happen to anybody else?
Depending on what you paid, you could perhaps send the spare one to Wisconsin... not too far away.