4 New Quadio releases coming in June!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And, to be clear.... I'm super fired up about all 4. What, we get to order all 4 at the same time? This if freaking amazing. Enough time for me to stash some money away for the 23rd.

I wonder how many copies of each they are pressing?
I know, it's the perfect musical rock variety, and nothing here I would not want to hear at the moment, not being "in the mood." I have a few bucks in my PP account, and that is where that money is staying until my order is confirmed. I won't even feel it coming out of my checking account because it's not coming from my checking account.

Pressing numbers in this day and age can be less than 5,000 units, 2 - 3k is common for a AF 4.0 SACD, but I think Sabbath and Alice could get 4,000, the other two 3,000 - and repressings after depending on how fast a title sells.

it's endlessly fascinating to hear all the reasons forum folk give for why they won't be buying something i'm definitely buying no matter what! 😴😅🤭🤣
For the really special ones, I sometimes buy two copies because it helps the label out with their numbers right out of the gate, and I've never been left with a surround disc I could not flip later way down the road when it's gone oop. These discs do in fact go oop. And I'll have you know that the fans and fanatics that snoozed, they all come crying a year or so later when prices are triple what they were on original release.

It's like look here at this Warner controlled quad master, average price sold (not just asking) is $100
https://www.discogs.com/release/6819798-Bread-The-Best-Of-Bread
So I say go ahead and snooze, and don't come crying later when some of these are over $100 each for mint copies.

Last edited:
I know, it's the perfect musical rock variety, and nothing here I would not want to hear at the moment, not being "in the mood." I have a few bucks in my PP account, and that is where that money is staying until my order is confirmed. I won't even feel it coming out of my checking account because it's not coming from my checking account.

Pressing numbers in this day and age can be less than 5,000 units, 2 - 3k is common for a AF 4.0 SACD, but I think Sabbath and Alice could get 4,000, the other two 3,000 - and repressings after depending on how fast a title sells.
Let me start with- yes, I'm excited about these. But "musical rock variety?" Not really. Every title is rock on the harder, edgier style. Red Octopus is probably the most "pop."

Personally, I was really hoping for Better Midler or The Spinners in there to make some fun variety, but I'll have to wait for the next batch. 🙂

*Don't hate me for the first kinda negative remark, please. I'm happy. Really.

Something I hadn't thought of...and really don't care about necessarily....but I wonder if each title will simply be the quad, or will they include a high resolution stereo version as well??
Well the Doobies and Chicago did indeed contain the stereo mixes, it was just the early two did not.

But I doubt I'd ever listen to the stereo tracks here anyway.

Last edited:
Well the Doobies and Chicago did indeed contain the stereo mixed, it was just the early two did not.

But I doubt I'd ever listen to the stereo tracks here anyway.
Yeah, I wouldn't listen to the stereo either...though being a hard core Sabbath fan, I wouldn't mind hearing Paranoid in stereo in the very best resolution possible. Yet, it's possible the original CD release would sound just as good. I never had a problem with the sound.

Did a little experiment on Rhino store. I placed 4 CD titles in my cart and went to checkout. The shipping tallies up to $11.99 and sales tax for me is $4.99. So....

4 Quadio titles x $30 is $120. With shipping and tax, a total of $136.98. Of course, if the are closer to $25 (which maybe Foraging Rhino said...can't recall) then $116.98 shipped for all 4 titles.

Let me start with- yes, I'm excited about these. But "musical variety?" Not really. Every title is rock. And rock on the harder, edgier style. Red Octopus is probably the most "pop."

Personally, I was really hoping for Better Midler or The Spinners in there to make some fun variety, but I'll have to wait for the next batch. 🙂
Well, listen, these will all promote each other well and result in a buyer who wants Paranoid to go and snap up at least two others, maybe three. If they gave us Randy Newman, Alice Cooper, Charles Mingus, and Seals and Crofts (how's that for variety) you see how the buyer might want one of these, but pass on all of the others? So for next round, I could see Spinners, Roberta Flack, Bette Midler, and America which would be the kind of things one buyer would take all again. Or drop America and do Donnie Hathaway in it's place?

Or get this, which I would love: Mingus, Modern Jazz Quartet, Randy Newman, and Joni's "Hissing of the Summer Lawns." A very artistically high caliber set of releases, and way way off the "hit" single route, not everyone's cup of java either, but very respectable musically creative efforts.

Then Jackson Browne's Late for the Sky, a Gordon Lightfoot (2-fer), a Carly Simon (2-fer), and then Seals and Crofts (again 2-fer), so 7 albums out of 4 brand new Quadio releases. See how that would sell!!! Oh, the S&C's estate do not agree to a 2-fer???? OK, drop them like a hot potato and America "Holiday" gets that slot no problem at all.

But my point is the releases need to cross-promote each other, and they need to all be snapped up in one cool purchased package. And the way to do that is exactly what they have done with this first batch, tie them together with a lovely listening night of playing all of them one after the other. I'm not sure how Bette Midler would go after listening to Sabbath or Alice, Geils??

There is a fairly deep catalog of potential "complementary" releases here. And these first four imo position these albums perfectly as a set of four "must haves".

Last edited:
Did a little experiment on Rhino store. I placed 4 CD titles in my cart and went to checkout. The shipping tallies up to $11.99 and sales tax for me is $4.99. So....

4 Quadio titles x $30 is $120. With shipping and tax, a total of $136.98. Of course, if the are closer to $25 (which maybe Foraging Rhino said...can't recall) then $116.98 shipped for all 4 titles.
I'm liking the $117 shipped cost personally. I can swing this and not be reduced to Ramen noodles, or forced to give up avocado toast. I think it's all now easier than it was in 1998 - 2000 with those Sony SACDs which I just couldn't swing at the time. And I could not swing the $900 combo player then either.

But flash forward a couple of decades, and a new golden surround era has arrived, it really has.

Last edited:
That reminds me - they are going to be $24.98 each, not 29.98 as I originally stated.
And, here's the post where FR said they will be $24.98 each. He also said they will each have a stereo and quad version on a blu-ray at 192/24. So, total price should be in the $117 ballpark if you buy all 4. Of course, I'm buying all 4.

Dumb question: if I have the deluxe edition of Paranoid with the DVD, what will this new Rhino Quad offer me (beyond the higher resolution)?

Red Octopus and Billion Dollar Babies are instant purchases, will have to check out J.Geils first, and Paranoid also an obvious purchase if there's something significant to be gained over the deluxe edition version.
This new issue of Quadraphonic "Paranoid" in master quality previously unheard of will give you goose bumps, especially after you've been subjected to the roughest sounding reissue of a quad mix ever scammed on a purchaser. So um.. yeah.

Back