Beatles Revolver Box Set (Dolby Atmos Mix available for streaming; No Blu-Ray)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was exposed to some of the leaked material. Overall, this is a great remix in stereo. ( no ATMOS available in the leaked materials)

The demixing technology is stunning in its capabilities. It delivers clarity and insights in the music only hinted at on the originals. the drums and the bass in particular are amazing. this reinforces the idea that Starr and McCartney were right up there with the best of the best rhythm sections in rock.

If the whole package was stream only then I'd understand your argument that "The record companies have decided that they won’t be selling as much music on physical media" and I'd more readily accept it (albeit not like it). However, in this case they are releasing a physical package but decided to draw the line at the surround mix after including one in all the other sets. How can that not feel personal?
Do you really think they are doing it to piss you off?

as far as the surround only on streaming, it’s a marketing play. The streamers and the record companies are working together to attract the maximum amount of listeners to the music by way of the streaming model. ATMOS and spatial audio are the honey to attract the bees. More bees, more subscribers, more song plays mean many more $’s and at a lower cost than when manufacturing physical media.

https://variety.com/2022/music/news...tion-remix-giles-martin-interview-1235362815/Strolling around a different audio forum (you can probably guess it) I found this article in which Giles claims to have mixed PET SOUNDS in Dolby Atmos. Did a search on the site, didn't see anyone else mention it. Also a maybe quasi hint at The White Album?
Otherwise, not too much about Atmos in this article, but lots of talk about various outtakes

Do you really think they are doing it to piss you off?

as far as the surround only on streaming, it’s a marketing play. The streamers and the record companies are working together to attract the maximum amount of listeners to the music by way of the streaming model. ATMOS and spatial audio are the honey to attract the bees. More bees, more subscribers, more song plays mean many more $’s and at a lower cost than when manufacturing physical media.
Of course not. I am not even being thought about. I am part of a niche group so I am irrelevant. Doesn't change the way it feels though.

I didn’t intend it as the definitive description of the entire population of surround physical media market.

That said, you don’t have to get into calculus to know that the demand is small and shrinking.

If there was a sizable market of buyers, the companies would provide the product to sell. Capitalism 101.

simultaneously, the streaming platforms look to be offering a better opportunity for profit if the artists and record companies agree surround will be exclusive to streaming.
Interesting remark. We "surrounders" are surely a minority. But if they want to attract more and more people on streaming platforms why do they offer a deluxe box with CDs?

Interesting remark. We "surrounders" are surely a minority. But if they want to attract more and more people on streaming platforms why do they offer a deluxe box with CDs?
I’m assuming that there is a sizable number of boomer fans of the Beatles that still prefer to consume music by way of CDs vs streaming/downloads. Especially Deluxe Editions that come with books and outtakes. That must represent a large enough market to invest in the creation of physical media. A decidedly smaller sub market of that group are Beatles fans who have surround set ups. A small number means it’s not worth the cost of producing physical media.

Of course not. I am not even being thought about. I am part of a niche group so I am irrelevant. Doesn't change the way it feels though.
Got it. I figured I would be the last person to go with streaming but a friend of my sons helped me with some home networking stuff. When he was here and saw my surround setup he challenged me to try Apple Music and an Apple TV for ATMOS.

He made it easy by buying me an APPLE TV saying he’d be back in 30 days at which point I could either give him the Apple TV back, or pay him for it. I love it. Did I throw out my physical media? No. Do I listen to it very often? Only once in a while. Have I been able to listen to huge amounts of new to me surround music. Absolutely!

Could it be a more adventurous mix despite of the technology limitations? Maybe...but I'm really satisfied with what I'm hearing.
If only any of the boxes would have contained a download code for the lossless Atmos, they could have taken my money already.
Let's pray for standalone release in the future, pleeeeease

Obviously I'm very happy that "Revolver" was remixed (in stereo) cause it really needed a remix, and even just listening to the remix in stereo (Atmos later) I can hear the improvements and I'm satisfied with this remix, but still, the fact that they tossed the Blu-Ray out of this set (presumably to cut costs and push people towards the streaming services) is one of the biggest disgraces we have ever seen in our hobby.
If they do decide to release a single Blu-Ray edition, all will be forgiven, but until then, the anger still remains.

Obviously I'm very happy that "Revolver" was remixed (in stereo) cause it really needed a remix, and even just listening to the remix in stereo (Atmos later) I can hear the improvements and I'm satisfied with this remix, but still, the fact that they tossed the Blu-Ray out of this set (presumably to cut costs and push people towards the streaming services) is one of the biggest disgraces we have ever seen in our hobby.
If they do decide to release a single Blu-Ray edition, all will be forgiven, but until then, the anger still remains.
100% agree except for suggesting it’s a cost cutting exercise. I think it’s purely a handshake with the streaming services to increase their revenue. Just my 2 cents though….

I had reached my self imposed financial limits on SDE box sets but paid anyway to get the Blu ray surround disc. So without the Blu ray disc, Revolver is an easy pass.
I remember people complaining about the price of box sets half or less what Revolver is costing In years past. Have we been conditioned to believe 4 cds in a box with a cheap book is worth $150 dollars? Ha.

I’ve said it a couple times now. It’s old farts like me that have the ability to listen to Atmos and the money to blow on outrageously over priced music. I love AR in Atmos and the one piece of music I really really wanted in Atmos was Revolver but not compressed garbage. If the geniuses that screwed this up put out a blu-ray for under $30 I’d do it. You would think they’d cater to folks that have been purchasing Beatles music for 55 years. Morons.

I’ve said it a couple times now. It’s old farts like me that have the ability to listen to Atmos and the money to blow on outrageously over priced music. I love AR in Atmos and the one piece of music I really really wanted in Atmos was Revolver but not compressed garbage. If the geniuses that screwed this up put out a blu-ray for under $30 I’d do it. You would think they’d cater to folks that have been purchasing Beatles music for 55 years. Morons.
My hope (as misguided as it may be) is that in the next year, there will be a physical release of the Atmos mix. Perhaps there was an exclusivity agreement where a physical release is possible, but only after it’s been on streaming for a set time. Fingers crossed.

My hope (as misguided as it may be) is that in the next year, there will be a physical release of the Atmos mix. Perhaps there was an exclusivity agreement where a physical release is possible, but only after it’s been on streaming for a set time. Fingers crossed.
That's usually the nature of streaming .... once that 'exclusivity' contract expires, that album reverts to the contract holder ... AppleCorps! I will not lay down big bucks for MORE remastered REVOLVER RBCDs .... enough IS enough so patiently, I will await that day [if EVER] Revolver appears on Pure Audio BD~A Atmos....

And AppleCorps would be silly NOT TO COMPLY!

I don’t really think that Apple Corps will put out a stand alone Blu ray disc of Revolver. I think that Giles Martin said that after all of the negative complaints about the Revolver SDE and that it would affect sales of the SDE. I would love to be proven wrong about a stand alone Blu ray Disc but I wouldn’t hold my breath if I were you.JMHO

Last edited:
Though I am a huge supporter of having a 1) Multichannel Blu-Ray disc, 2) Multichannel DVD Audio 3) Multichannel SACD (in that order) included in a box set of $100 or more, I do not support having to rent content that I should be able to own to complete that Box set. That said, a stereo remix is nice, and cutting room floor outtakes are nice, but IMHO it is the Multichannel physical media that sets them all apart. That is worth the additional Price Premium. At this time, it has not even been confirmed that a Hi Res Multichannel digital download will be available as part of the purchase. So far it has been sheer speculation. Beatles product has always been several steps ahead as far as quality and presentation. The marketing of this masterpiece has not only been an insult to the previous Beatles releases (as well as the band) but should be a business course right alongside of the marketing of the "New Coke", a total disaster to say the least. As a super huge Beatles fan and a collection completist, I am so turned off on this, that (as it is very hard for me to say) I may have to pass on this as a kind of protest. In this market we (or at least I) generally purchase items sight unseen because we have trust. At this juncture I feel that to purchase this is sending an approval that it is ok for the record companies to de-content. What is next, the booklets will be available as part of a Kindle subscription?

The marketing of this masterpiece has not only been an insult to the previous Beatles releases (as well as the band) but should be a business course right alongside of the marketing of the "New Coke", a total disaster to say the least.

Definitely! It's hard to imagine them doing a worse job. Totally FUBAR'd.

I also would be very surprised if a stand-alone BD with hi-rez and Atmos happens in 2023 or later. I just think Apple Corp made this business decision and as long as the box sets are selling, they won't budge from making the hi-rez only as paid downloads from various sites and the Atmos mix only available on streaming. I think Giles Martin may have made certain vague statements to calm the waters but there is no real business intention to ever release a BD. It would be embarrassing to them as THE company behind anything Beatles to admit they F'd up and reverse this decision. Just my opinion but I am a realist.

And I did order the 5 CD box set just for the remix and outtakes which I've read are pretty amazing, especially Lennon's original version of what became Yellow Submarine. So I bought into it even though very disappointed about the lack of BD and how Apple Corp handled this messed up affair, leading people astray with misleading marketing announcements, whether deliberately or incompetence.

Last edited:
I'd love a bluray too, but to me this is following the Petty estate lead (with Wildflowers atmos being exclu$ive to amazon initially). Apple computers and Apple Corps have a long history of legal battle$ but also a history of coming together. I'm sure there's a better article, but this is a summary:
https://www.cultofmac.com/473927/today-apple-history-apple-goes-war-beatles/

Back