Beatles Revolver Box Set (Dolby Atmos Mix available for streaming; No Blu-Ray)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike Mettler's "Spatial Audio File" is back, after a hiatus--and it features an interview with Giles Martin. (Spoiler: he repeats his vague comment about how "we'll probably have to address" the lack of a Blu-Ray at some point--and teases the possibility that Atmos mixes for Sergeant Pepper--and the White Album!--might eventually make it to disc, as well.)
https://www.soundandvision.com/content/here-there-and-spatially-everywhere
There's an exhaustive companion article that Mettler links to on recording and remixing Revolver. Details about the stereo and Atmos remixes are on page 7:
https://www.soundandvision.com/content/remixing-revolver
Also out today: Marc Myers's review at JazzWax:
https://www.jazzwax.com/2022/10/the-beatles-revolver-reissue.html
Excellent stuff thank you very much for sharing.

Though I am a huge supporter of having a 1) Multichannel Blu-Ray disc, 2) Multichannel DVD Audio 3) Multichannel SACD (in that order) included in a box set of $100 or more, I do not support having to rent content that I should be able to own to complete that Box set. That said, a stereo remix is nice, and cutting room floor outtakes are nice, but IMHO it is the Multichannel physical media that sets them all apart. That is worth the additional Price Premium. At this time, it has not even been confirmed that a Hi Res Multichannel digital download will be available as part of the purchase. So far it has been sheer speculation. Beatles product has always been several steps ahead as far as quality and presentation. The marketing of this masterpiece has not only been an insult to the previous Beatles releases (as well as the band) but should be a business course right alongside of the marketing of the "New Coke", a total disaster to say the least. As a super huge Beatles fan and a collection completist, I am so turned off on this, that (as it is very hard for me to say) I may have to pass on this as a kind of protest. In this market we (or at least I) generally purchase items sight unseen because we have trust. At this juncture I feel that to purchase this is sending an approval that it is ok for the record companies to de-content. What is next, the booklets will be available as part of a Kindle subscription?
Here here soundman, you're speaking for me too. SPOT ON!

Might seem an odd question but I have only 5.1 and I’m curious — can someone describe to me which (if any) elements from “Taxman” are isolated and in which speakers in full Atmos?

Last edited:
Might seem an odd question but I have only 5.1 and I’m curious — can someone describe to me which (if any) elements from “Taxman” are isolated and in which speakers?
Isolated to the 5.1 bed that you are listening to, or isolated to the full 5.1.4 Atmos channels?

Might seem an odd question but I have only 5.1 and I’m curious — can someone describe to me which (if any) elements from “Taxman” are isolated and in which speakers?
The front channels are drums & bass predominantly on left, rhythm guitar on right, vocals in middle. The center has isolated vocals and snare at a lower level than the fronts, plus the bulk of the guitar solo.

The side speakers have just the rhythm guitar and percussion (cowbell left, tambourine right) duplicated at around the same level as they appear upfront, with the net result being they image a bit further out into the room.

The rear speakers have just vocals (ADT'd lead + backing) again duplicated at around the same level they appear in the front speakers. However, the "Mr. Wilson, Mr. Heath" vocals are completely isolated in the rears. It's hard to tell exactly what's happening in the height channels because of the low bitrate, but they seem to be a low-level reflection of what's happening at ear level. You could probably mute them and not notice anything.

The front channels are drums & bass predominantly on left, rhythm guitar on right, vocals in middle. The center has isolated vocals and snare at a lower level than the fronts, plus the bulk of the guitar solo.

The side speakers have just the rhythm guitar and percussion (cowbell left, tambourine right) duplicated at around the same level as they appear upfront, with the net result being they image a bit further out into the room.

The rear speakers have just vocals (ADT'd lead + backing) again duplicated at around the same level they appear in the front speakers. However, the "Mr. Wilson, Mr. Heath" vocals are completely isolated in the rears. It's hard to tell exactly what's happening in the height channels because of the low bitrate, but they seem to be a low-level reflection of what's happening at ear level. You could probably mute them and not notice anything.
Thanks!

Just because the bitrate is lower doesn't change what is being output in the four height channels. It just isn't going to be as clean and precise.

I wish I knew why they released Pepper through Let It Be on Blu-ray, but excluded it from this release and put a higher list price on it. Nevertheless, once I realized that I was confused about the verbiage on thebeatles.com and paying US$130 for the Super Deluxe edition wasn't going to give me access to the hi-res and Atmos mixes, I sent it back.

Now I'm trying to figure out how one does get access to these mixes, and as far as I can tell, only Apple Music and Amazon Music Unlimited have the Atmos mix, and only with subscription and not as a download. I already have access to the hi-res stereo and mono mixes through Qobuz which I stream from my iPhone to Chromecast Audio devices I have throughout the house. I installed the Amazon music app, but it doesn't stream from iOS, only Android and not even the Amazon Android tablet I already have. Seems like the only devices one can use with a surround processor like my Emotiva UMC200 are an Apple TV, or an Amazon FIre Stick, and even then I'm not certain this is going to work. Seems like I'm going to have to go through a major upheaval just to hear this one title, and I'm willing to go through it. I'm just not sure what I have to do to achieve this goal. Seems to me that to get the features I need to listen to Atmos music, without having to pay for two music service subscriptions, and without losing the ability to stream music throughout the house, I'm going to need to buy a Fire Stick and an Android tablet, and switch from Qobuz to Amazon. Does this sound right?

What do other people use to listen to Atmos music on their home theater systems?

I wish I knew why they released Pepper through Let It Be on Blu-ray, but excluded it from this release and put a higher list price on it. Nevertheless, once I realized that I was confused about the verbiage on thebeatles.com and paying US$130 for the Super Deluxe edition wasn't going to give me access to the hi-res and Atmos mixes, I sent it back.

Now I'm trying to figure out how one does get access to these mixes, and as far as I can tell, only Apple Music and Amazon Music Unlimited have the Atmos mix, and only with subscription and not as a download. I already have access to the hi-res stereo and mono mixes through Qobuz which I stream from my iPhone to Chromecast Audio devices I have throughout the house. I installed the Amazon music app, but it doesn't stream from iOS, only Android and not even the Amazon Android tablet I already have. Seems like the only devices one can use with a surround processor like my Emotiva UMC200 are an Apple TV, or an Amazon FIre Stick, and even then I'm not certain this is going to work. Seems like I'm going to have to go through a major upheaval just to hear this one title, and I'm willing to go through it. I'm just not sure what I have to do to achieve this goal. Seems to me that to get the features I need to listen to Atmos music, without having to pay for two music service subscriptions, and without losing the ability to stream music throughout the house, I'm going to need to buy a Fire Stick and an Android tablet, and switch from Qobuz to Amazon. Does this sound right?

What do other people use to listen to Atmos music on their home theater systems?
Many of us here stream an Apple Music subscription through an Apple TV 4K and then to an Atmos-capable AVR or processer using HDMI. I believe that if your AVR is not Atmos-compatible, the Apple TV 4K will still allow you to hear Atmos mixes in 5.1 via HDMI to a 5.1 AVR. For $10 or 11 a month, it gives you access to virtually all the available for streaming Atmos titles, plus you also get hi-res and/or lossless (CD quality) stereo streaming if your equipment is capable.

I got my Revolver Box Set today, for some reason I knew it was all stereo but I thought it had a stereo Blu Ray, it does not, all CD's.
Question: would you just be happy with ripping all the CD's?
or
Purchasing the 63 track HDTracks 24/96 for $58.98?

I got my Revolver Box Set today, for some reason I knew it was all stereo but I thought it had a stereo Blu Ray, it does not, all CD's.
or
I would actually be happy downloading the SDE from iTunes for $40.00 - IF it came with a .pdf of the book! I really want to read the book, but not enough to pay the additional $70.00 to buy the physical box set. I presume the iTunes download doesn't come with a .pdf because it doesn't say anything about it on the store page.

or
If I had a friend that bought the box set, I'd just be happy ripping all the CDs. If the box set was $58.98 for 4 CDs and a book, I'd buy it. But for $100+ dollars I am not willing to buy it without the multi-channel or at least hi-rez stereo blu-ray.

I believe just the two most recent generations? Apple (or dolby?) lists it on their site. In the summer of 2021 there was a thread going with all of the info. Generally, I search this site via google typing in whatever topic at the end here:
"site:http://www.quadraphonicquad (dot )com apple tv"
(Typed normally, but I can't type it normally because it turns into a link, haha)
I believe this was the thread:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...ining-the-atmos-streaming-game.30499/page-106I'd never owned an apple product before getting the older Apple TV (with the trackpad type remote) but it's pretty cool. I use ethernet, not wireless - but there is a new non-ethernet cheap version now. I think most here search via their phone/tablet and then add to their library, rather than searching via the Apple TV box. My phone happens to be Atmos enabled, so it shows the Atmos logo and makes things easier.
Wow many thanks! I went through that forum, which led me to other links within and found more! Real "down the rabbit hole" find. Now signed up to ATV news... looks like an ATV 4K recent box will do me for Atmos connected to my Pioneer via HDMI.

Seems like the only devices one can use with a surround processor like my Emotiva UMC200 are an Apple TV, or an Amazon FIre Stick, and even then I'm not certain this is going to work. Seems to me that to get the features I need to listen to Atmos music, without having to pay for two music service subscriptions, and without losing the ability to stream music throughout the house, I'm going to need to buy a Fire Stick and an Android tablet, and switch from Qobuz to Amazon. Does this sound right?

A Firestick will not stream Apple Atmos tracks.

Back