4 New Quadio releases coming in June!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GANDHARVA was conceived from the ground up to be recorded Quadraphonically which is why for side two the duo chose Grace Cathedral in San Francisco for its long delay times.

http://www.richieunterberger.com/gandharva.html
Primary

As per Pupster's discovery, those QUAD tapes probably reside in the vaults of Warner Japan. Would LOVE [LOVE] to have that on BD~A 192/24!!!!!!!
BTW, the list of musical credits on GANDHARVA is MIGHTY impressive:

Last edited:
Seriously if you go to the first post that is pretty much it. With some other clues sprinkled throughout the thread.
If the date of the first post had been April 1, I'd be worried about these. But it was not. In fact, May 6 is International No Diet Day...no joke...which is quite appropriate since few of us can refrain from indulging in quadraphonic releases.

There are going to be:
1 quad Grunt label album
1 Atlantic
2 from Warner Bros

How official!
Sorry you were told to just read all these posts, and you would see the light. There are no more clues anywhere, that’s it!

An announcement coming very soon for a June release of these four titles. Four more titles will follow later and we hope those are not years away.

There are going to be:
1 quad Grunt label album
1 Atlantic
2 from Warner Bros

Sorry you were told to just read all these posts, and you would see the light. There are no more clues anywhere, that’s it!

An announcement coming very soon for a June release of these four titles. Four more titles will follow later and we hope those are not years away.
I think there was another clue-- that none of these titles have ever been released on digital disc (not a CD, of course.) Or did I just dream that one?

Last edited:
Over 700+ members have visited this thread now; didn't know there where still that many alive kicking on the QQ, lots of member lurkers I guess.

I figured this would be a good time to go over all of Steve's (ForagingRhino) clues and logically try to do a simple decipher all in one post.
ForagingRhino's actual clues in quotation marks!

✔️ Let's start with the historical fact, that the Quadio series has been all about bringing old ~70's Quad into the digital age at a high level!
* So only titles that were never released or possibly known to have been mixed to Quad but never released is a small probability, like
a Black Sabbath ("Rhino has Sabbath for the US & Canada".) However, no Quad known to be completed for Sabbath's Sabotage, per steelydave info down thread!

✔️ The aforementioned labels that Rhino now has control over to bring the titles back to market.
*2 from Warner Bros
*1 Atlantic
*1 Grunt
* - and potentially some of the Rhino controlled sub-labels of the above :unsure:

✔️ "4 different artists/titles"
* Something new for Rhino, let's hope we all buy, buy and buy our fill!!!

✔️ "Except for one title (this might be a clue!) where the Quad program deviates quite a bit from the stereo version."
"Not song order, song length...."

✔️ "all first-timers on Disc" (digital I'm sure he means)
* depending on the release of course as Steve states:
"Don't rule out either Paranoid or Machine Head, as the true Quad discrete mix has NOT been issued. As y'all have pointed out, the version Paranoid that came out in the UK Deluxe Edition was a needle drop of the WB US Quadradisc pressing. And a noisy one at that. Had I known they were doing that...
And the US Quad of Machine Head has not been issued, so that qualifies as unissued. To me, anyway."

✔️ Not from the group - Black Oak Arkansas
"We lost BOA."

✔️ Not the title Gord's Gold by Gordon Lightfoot.
"I looked for a quad mix of Gord's Gold in the vault and found nothing."
* besides, I don't believe that was ever released in Quad.

✔️ Probably not any of the Joni Mitchell Quads, at least not yet, however Steve said-
"All Quad Joni is and always has been with WMG.
The current focus with her is on the Era boxes and vinyl releases.
But I feel Quadios will happen."

✔️ Probably not ZZ Top's Tres Hombres Quad this time either, Steve said-
"Rhino has ZZ Top's catalog from First Album to Recycler. Never found the quad Tres Hombres. Need to research that..."

✔️ The Grunt titles (per Jonathan "Grunt = Jefferson Airplane/Starship (or Hot Tuna)?"), Steve-
" ;) "

That's all I have, any corrections, let me know!

May the Quadio gods shine down on all of us :)

Last edited:
Over 700+ members have visited this thread now; didn't know there where still that many alive kicking on the QQ, lots of member lurkers I guess.

I figured this would be a good time to go over all of Steve's (ForagingRhino) clues and logically try to do a simple decipher all in one post.

✔️ Let's start with the historical fact, that the Quadio series has been all about bringing old ~70's Quad into the digital age at a high level!
* So only titles that where never released or possibly known to have been mixed to Quad but never released is a small probability, like
a Black Sabbath ("Rhino has Sabbath for the US & Canada".)

✔️ The aforementioned labels that Rhino now has control over to bring the titles back to market.
*2 from Warner Bros
*1 Atlantic
*1 Grunt
* - and potentially some of the Rhino controlled sub-labels of the above :unsure:

✔️ "4 different artists/titles"
* Something new for Rhino, let's hope we all buy, buy and buy our fill!!!

✔️ "Except for one title (this might be a clue!) where the Quad program deviates quite a bit from the stereo version."
"Not song order, song length...."

* So nothing like Machine Head by Deep Purple, which has had several versions on digital.

✔️ Not from the group - Black Oak Arkansas
"We lost BOA."

✔️ Not the title Gord's Gold by Gordon Lightfoot.
"I looked for a quad mix of Gord's Gold in the vault and found nothing."
* besides, I don't believe that was ever released in Quad.

✔️ Probably not any of the Joni Mitchell Quads, at least not yet, however Steve said-
"All Quad Joni is and always has been with WMG.
The current focus with her is on the Era boxes and vinyl releases.
But I feel Quadios will happen."

✔️ Probably not ZZ Top's Tres Hombres Quad this time either, Steve said-
"Rhino has ZZ Top's catalog from First Album to Recycler. Never found the quad Tres Hombres. Need to research that..."

✔️ The Grunt titles (per Jonathan "Grunt = Jefferson Airplane/Starship (or Hot Tuna)?"), Steve-
" ;) "

Thank you for this great comprehensive summation of the past 34 pages. Nice to see it all in one place. 🙂 Maybe @ForagingRhino will chime in with yet another hint for another dozen-plus pages? 🤞

I was just thinking of something wild. Can you imagine if Rhino had a Quadio subscription rate with, let's say a 15% discount, where a subscriber had to take all of the Quadios that come out? However, the titles are never revealed but rather just show up in the mail box one day. Talk about Anticipation. I really don't think this group could handle it. I'd probably explode...like a chameleon trying to hide in a box of crayons. :eek:

I was just thinking of something wild. Can you imagine if Rhino had a Quadio subscription rate with, let's say a 15% discount, where a subscriber had to take all of the Quadios that come out? However, the titles are never revealed but rather just show up in the mail box one day. Talk about Anticipation. I really don't think this group could handle it. I'd probably explode...like a chameleon trying to hide in a box of crayons. :eek:
Instead of Secret Santa that's Secret Quadio!

I think there was another clue-- that none of these titles have ever been released on digital disc (not a CD, of course.) Or did I just dream that one?

* So nothing like Machine Head by Deep Purple, which has had several versions on digital.

" ;) "

Deep Purple Machine Head has never had the US quad mix on any digital disc. but, and if you are talking other versions of surround, like that later 5.1, or European quad, or fold-down from quad then ok, and then the Black Sabbath Paranoid would be disqualified as well, as it has been on a silver disc (mangled up) twice.
Now we have two great titles disqualified according to the digital disc described above.

A couple of the main reasons that I like 4.0 quad releases over 5.1 is that the 4.0 stuff is 70s period mixes, and that they were done in analog, and they are 1971 to 1977 album releases (a favorite period for me in music). Then another issue is the concern that if we don't get the last of the great ones out on physical media, they might never get released, and could be missed for streaming as well. It is a race against time now the we get these first class albums released in their vintage quadraphonic mixes. So these are more important and desirable to me than later and recent Atmos stuff.

Thank you for the synopsis, J. PUPSTER...and no thank you. (grumble, grumble to no Machine Head nor Paranoid 😄)

A couple thoughts inferred from your post:

ACGs Killer and School's Out are being released on June 6 in deluxe editions (20 yrs late Rhino? And what of Love It To Death? 🤨), so that could be seen as a good or bad time to release B$B. How could a quad version deter people from buying the other albums? It could in fact increase sales from those of us visiting the site for the quad, I'm hoping that makes it an option. PLUS it's a 50th anniversary disc, so there's that.

Personally, and according to the list provided by JonUrban, the only other WB quad that would interest me would be Holiday from America. A Seals and Crofts GH would have worked if it were available in quad, but que sera sera.

Last edited:
Deep Purple Machine Head has never had the US quad mix on any digital disc. but, and if you are talking other versions of surround, like that later 5.1, or European quad, or fold-down from quad then ok, and then the Black Sabbath Paranoid would be disqualified as well, as it has been on a silver disc (mangled up) twice.
Now we have two great titles disqualified according to the digital disc described above.
Allow me to clarify this point.
Don't rule out either Paranoid or Machine Head, as the true Quad discrete mix has NOT been issued. As y'all have pointed out, the version Paranoid that came out in the UK Deluxe Edition was a needle drop of the WB US Quadradisc pressing. And a noisy one at that. Had I known they were doing that...
And the US Quad of Machine Head has not been issued, so that qualifies as unissued. To me, anyway.

TL/DR: Don't rule out Paranoid & Machine Head.

Last edited:
I most definitely wouldn't rule out Black Sabbath-Sabotage as an upcoming quad .

The quad mix was definitely done , at Morgan Studios, by Mike Butcher.
(Fwiw Mike Butcher and Spock Wall did the quad mix of Paranoid.)

This I just learned about while watching a utube video on the creation of Sabotage.
Check out the pic.
😉
16850659751922233358078729293812.jpg

Back