4 New Quadio releases coming in June!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
US Government Experiments in Psychology Testing interim check in
The hysteria is growing in the test subjects some are turning to heavy drinking.
When June 23 passes with no quad releases and no further information mandatory check in occurs to see how many test subjects went postal.
Thank you Dr Fauci for approving the funding grant.

Just got a Warner Music Experience "Think You Are Ready" email with new stuff coming - and I actually jumped on it thinking that maybe, just maybe there would be a blurb about Quadio discs and the titles. Do I think I am ready???? I've never been so sure of something in my life.

But no, nothing there about quad Alice, Sab, Purple at all.

It's ok, I have been waiting for these on modern disc for 25 years, what's another 21 days right? And especially if I get a couple of my top choice picks, all will be forgiven.

These discs are going to sound really great, even better than Chicago and the Doobies discs did because they are better recording / mix jobs imo.

I have commented on why I like Alice's B$B in quad as well as the Machine Head US Warner quad mix, but I have not commented on Paranoid in this thread. I think that the quad mix lifts a veil off the master tapes (listen to the metal work on drum kit), like a better mixing console and record deck was used over the UK stereo mix. All songs have this improved fidelity. But the title song from this album has some ping-pong reverb effect that is just a tad distracting, and makes it the only track on the quad album that does not imo improve over the stereo "hit" mix of the song. Not a biggie to me as the rest of Paranoid is a revelation or will be in four-channel quad coming from a nicely preserved Warner Brothers master.

I am hoping that the new transfers and mastering of these tapes retains this clarity and bit of "air" I have grown to like on these classic heavyweight rockers, and they don't try and tone that down to sound like the stereo mixes. These are different animals, and all the better for that. They are meant to sound big and spacious with more crystal clarity and not dark and heavy like they sometimes are in stereo iterations.

I know I'm rambling on and on about this potential titles but I can't help it. I have had nothing to drink and no medical puffs, and am just going to ride out this quite difficult period sober. I think I can make it, and the only time I start to think otherwise is when Seals and Crofts and James Taylor get mentioned here, and I then start to feel real paranoia. 🙀

Just got a Warner Music Experience "Think You Are Ready" email with new stuff coming - and I actually jumped on it thinking that maybe, just maybe there would be a blurb about Quadio discs and the titles. Do I think I am ready???? I've never been so sure of something in my life.

But no, nothing there about quad Alice, Sab, Purple at all.

It's ok, I have been waiting for these on modern disc for 25 years, what's another 21 days right? And especially if I get a couple of my top choice picks, all will be forgiven.

These discs are going to sound really great, even better than Chicago and the Doobies discs did because they are better recording / mix jobs imo.

I have commented on why I like Alice's B$B in quad as well as the Machine Head US Warner quad mix, but I have not commented on Paranoid in this thread. I think that the quad mix lifts a veil off the master tapes (listen to the metal work on drum kit), like a better mixing console and record deck was used over the UK stereo mix. All songs have this improved fidelity. But the title song from this album has some ping-pong reverb effect that is just a tad distracting, and makes it the only track on the quad album that does not imo improve over the stereo "hit" mix of the song. Not a biggie to me as the rest of Paranoid is a revelation or will be in four-channel quad coming from a nicely preserved Warner Brothers master.

I am hoping that the new transfers and mastering of these tapes retains this clarity and bit of "air" I have grown to like on these classic heavyweight rockers, and they don't try and tone that down to sound like the stereo mixes. These are different animals, and all the better for that. They are meant to sound big and spacious with more crystal clarity and not dark and heavy like they sometimes are in stereo iterations.

I know I'm rambling on and on about this potential titles but I can't help it. I have had nothing to drink and no medical puffs, and am just going to ride out this quite difficult period sober. I think I can make it, and the only time I start to think otherwise is when Seals and Crofts and James Taylor get mentioned here, and I then start to feel real paranoia. 🙀

I honestly think that WMG is going to follow the DV model and announce the titles only when they are stacked up and ready to ship. In this particular case, I think ForagingRhino just wanted us to know that the program did indeed live and will prosper and grow as time marches on, bringing us goodies from time to time.

We all appreciate the way D-V handles their releases, not stringing us along only to run into a difficulty that delays or cancels a release. Remember with WB/Rhino how long we all waited for the "Running on Empty" DVD-A, or even the Doobie Brothers Quadio box, which ended up being delayed and started a bunch of negative crap here and at SHF and other places due to the delay. That negative crap makes me crazy.

If WMG/Rhino waits until the day they can ship the discs, we all win. It's really the best way to deal with a specialized product. So hang in there. Mow your lawns, tweak your systems, have your hearing checked (really, esp if you're an old guy like me), and June 23rd will be here before you know it.

I honestly think that WMG is going to follow the DV model and announce the titles only when they are stacked up and ready to ship. In this particular case, I think ForagingRhino just wanted us to know that the program did indeed live and will prosper and grow as time marches on, bringing us goodies from time to time.

We all appreciate the way D-V handles their releases, not stringing us along only to run into a difficulty that delays or cancels a release. Remember with WB/Rhino how long we all waited for the "Running on Empty" DVD-A, or even the Doobie Brothers Quadio box, which ended up being delayed and started a bunch of negative crap here and at SHF and other places due to the delay. That negative crap makes me crazy.

If WMG/Rhino waits until the day they can ship the discs, we all win. It's really the best way to deal with a specialized product. So hang in there. Mow your lawns, tweak your systems, have your hearing checked (really, esp if you're an old guy like me), and June 23rd will be here before you know it.
Well I'd hope that I'm not spreading "negative crap" that makes you crazy. I'm full of hopefulness and excitement. And I appreciate getting to know in advance from FR that things are looking good for the program, and like I said 21 more days is not a big deal in the larger picture.

I'm going to stay with the positive thoughts that all eight of the planned releases will be (based on the previous titles from the Quadio line) real exceptional choices of artist merit, notable recording and production qualities, and quad mixes that are uniquely different yet impressive.

I will say that Rhino should get all the orders processed a week in advance and have their invoices / shipping labels all printed out and ready to go and not leave it all to the last min. I worked for a record label doing the web orders for three years, and it can get pretty rough going for some weeks when you have exclusives, and you are deep in the weeds with orders. No really. :LOL:

Well I'd hope that I'm not spreading "negative crap" that makes you crazy. I'm full of hopefulness and excitement. And I appreciate getting to know in advance from FR that things are looking good for the program, and like I said 21 more days is not a big deal in the larger picture.

I'm going to stay with the positive thoughts that all eight of the planned releases will be (based on the previous titles from the Quadio line) real exceptional choices of artist merit, notable recording and production qualities, and quad mixes that are uniquely different yet impressive.

I will say that Rhino should get all the orders processed a week in advance and have their invoices / shipping labels all printed out and ready to go and not leave it all to the last min. I worked for a record label doing the web orders for three years, and it can get pretty rough going for some weeks when you have exclusives, and you are deep in the weeds with orders. No really. :LOL:

No. No negative crap with this batch. I was referring to the Doobies Quadio Box, which, if you recall, got delayed for over 2 years I seem to recall. People were bitching the whole time, saying it was not coming and we'd never get it, and complaining that they announced it. It was a nightmare. I think you could find a monster thread here at QQ and SHF if you want to relive all of that crap. That's what I was referring to. The good natured fun we all are having with this thread is fun. I love the speculation

No. No negative crap with this batch. I was referring to the Doobies Quadio Box, which, if you recall, got delayed for over 2 years I seem to recall. People were bitching the whole time, saying it was not coming and we'd never get it, and complaining that they announced it. It was a nightmare. I think you could find a monster thread here at QQ and SHF if you want to relive all of that crap. That's what I was referring to. The good natured fun we all are having with this thread is fun. I love the speculation
That's exactly why I make it a point now not to announce anything before it's actually completed and ready and SURE to come out.

They are not going to drop Seals and Crofts, and Graham Central Station on us after many years of waiting for the top prime cuts. Summer Breeze would send me near suicidal about now, and would not “make me feel fine” at all.
I think I can make it, and the only time I start to think otherwise is when Seals and Crofts and James Taylor get mentioned here, and I then start to feel real paranoia
Some of us would love to have these :)

Some of us would love to have these :)
I’d be fine with them too, much later on. I feel a little like time is running out.

To think that we got Blow By Blow in quad (so cool), and it took 20 more years to get Wired as well.

So going by that kind of timeline - I’m praying for those top tier rock albums now, and the others can come out on 16 or 20 more years from now. Sort of like how I had to wait for Wired. LOL.

So how one can look at this when you’ve been on QQ for 20 years.

We are so close and within reach!

I think I can make it, and the only time I start to think otherwise is when Seals and Crofts and James Taylor get mentioned here, and I then start to feel real paranoia.

One of the titles is probably going to be on the order of one that you have mentioned. So time to get....

Screenshot 2023-06-02 at 10.04.08 PM.jpg

Muscle of Love was issued in quad on SACD already, you mean you missed it?

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/cooper-alice-muscle-of-love-sacd.21304/
Completely missed it, yes. I blinked when I couldn’t afford Audio Fidelity’s releases of LITD, Killer, and School’s Out in the early 2010s. Next thing I know, I’d missed years of SACD releases like B$B and MOL, plus the Chicago Quadio set. Oh, if only I hadn’t prioritized having a family above owning high fidelity music. 😂😉

One of the titles is probably going to be on the order of one that you have mentioned. So time to get....

View attachment 92308
But for the CD-4 logo at the top left corner, yes... two copies into my shopping basket, click next, and continue shopping...

When I first got onto the internet and then eBay became known, two of the first LPs I bought that I had wanted for years in the collection were Paranoid and B$B on CD-4 quad. That was about 1998 or 99. Both of them I had wanted since 1975. So SACDs arriving on some of these titles is very sweet and goes to show good things come for those that can wait, and the cream does rise to the top.

Maybe I've already said it more than once, but I should state it again, my all-time favorite "rock" albums that got a 70s quad mix are Wish You Were Here, Aqualung, A Space in Time, Billion Dollar Babies, and Paranoid. So for me the Quadio series has a chance to now bring it all back home. It brings new adventures to these titles, as well a completes 50 years of collecting travels which are not over yet. It's both nostalgia as well as just good music that has held up well.

Last edited:
Billion Dollar Babies

Many people have rips of several Q4 Warner quads, all of which have issues. I have the CD stereo versions; plus I had the LP's way back when. I'm sure that there is nothing people would like better than to send those squirrelly rips into cyber trash. And I will be carting off my CD's to a church rummage sale. Warner quads: If they cost money, I will buy them (even if one is Alice Cooper. :eek: )

Many people have rips of several Q4 Warner quads, all of which have issues. I have the CD stereo versions; plus I had the LP's way back when. I'm sure that there is nothing people would like better than to send those squirrelly rips into cyber trash. And I will be carting off my CD's to a church rummage sale. Warner quads: If they cost money, I will buy them (even if one is Alice Cooper. :eek: )
😄 Understood, AR. ACG isn’t for everyone. That group and that album hold a special place for me because it reminds me of my older brother who brought it home and played it endlessly, but also because, even at 7 years old, it became the first entire album that I loved start to finish. I rediscovered ACG in my teens, and learned all their songs on guitar and bass, so the mascara runs thick, especially between B$B and me. ❤️

I don't doubt it, but what issues are you referring to with a rip of a CD-4 LP? Or are you thinking about the rough decodes from these?

I have them in stereo and not decoded, and once ClickRepair came online available, even my CD-4s sparkle like never before. Background noise is quite minimal, and ticks fixed, and 24/96kHz is pretty darn good.

It sounds like you are not a big fan of the AC album? And you've never heard any good CD-4 conversion? Because all have issues?

All of the Deep Purple fans seem to want the U.S. quad of Machine Head to be released, and I would like that also, but there's a Steven Wilson mix of Made in Japan that's been sitting on the shelf for years that I would rather see at this point.

Back